The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Two months to get twenty books--and thats assuming they're 20 books by 20 separate people.

I wonder if anyone besides the Stooges has also worked at PA and had their books printed by PA/AmEricaHouse?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I smell a big stinky money-making "offer" from PA.

It could be a variation on the "we'll send books to a famous person, just buy 10 copies" scheme.

I've seen a post on a social site by a puzzled novelist with NO experience at script writing who has been asked to do a movie script of his/her book and PA will send it to Warner Brothers.

PA offered a contract and the novelist signed it.

The writer didn't mention if the purchase of several of his/her own books is part of the deal, but I would not be surprised.

Anyone else have news of a similar "offer?"

Figure that nothing will come of this.

If PA ever sends the scripts to the WB that they'll be in an e-file. That will save on printing/mailing costs.

All the WB has to do is delete it.

All PA does is pocket the book money. Or ask the writer for 99.00 to upload it to Amazon.

I'm in the wrong business. What a tough thing it is to have scruples.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I smell a big stinky money-making "offer" from PA.

It could be a variation on the "we'll send books to a famous person, just buy 10 copies" scheme.

I've seen a post on a social site by a puzzled novelist with NO experience at script writing who has been asked to do a movie script of his/her book and PA will send it to Warner Brothers.

PA offered a contract and the novelist signed it.

The writer didn't mention if the purchase of several of his/her own books is part of the deal, but I would not be surprised.

Anyone else have news of a similar "offer?"

Figure that nothing will come of this.

If PA ever sends the scripts to the WB that they'll be in an e-file. That will save on printing/mailing costs.

All the WB has to do is delete it.

All PA does is pocket the book money. Or ask the writer for 99.00 to upload it to Amazon.

I'm in the wrong business. What a tough thing it is to have scruples.

I wonder if that's the Amazon Studios/Warner Bros. "offer" that's been talked about on the PAMB thread? It's either $119 or $99 (if you search at the PA bookstore) to authorize PA to do something you could do yourself. (And then they get a cut, too.)

Anon76

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not defending PA in the slightest. Only using the comparison of the person who is looking for a cheap and easy way to see his or her book in print. Period. Because that's all that happens with PA: You get two books (or at least in my case) printed for nothing. The trouble is, like you have said, this is not what authors are seeking. Neil

And that is a perfect case in point. Bravo.

Two books printed for free can no way equal the loss of rights for, what, seven years?

Dear possible PA authors,

That wonderful book you wish to contract with PA for, think long and hard on. It may very well be "not all that" at this point, but could very well be massaged into a great book later on. With more practice.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if that's the Amazon Studios/Warner Bros. "offer" that's been talked about on the PAMB thread? It's either $119 or $99 (if you search at the PA bookstore) to authorize PA to do something you could do yourself. (And then they get a cut, too.)

I found a blog post that has the PA letter on it. It may have been posted here on AW before, I just don't remember.

Dear author:

Amazon.com has done it again. Now they have started Amazon Studios, and they want to see if your book's manuscript is their (and Warner Bros. Pictures'!) next movie.

Basically, Amazon is now also entering the movie business, and they are crowdsourcing it, shopping among original story tellers like yourself. They have given Warner Bros. the right of first refusal.

From Tuesday's Amazon Studios announcement:

"We are excited to introduce writers, filmmakers and movie lovers to Amazon Studios [...] It is the goal of Amazon Studios to produce new, full-budget theatrical films based on the best projects and it will give Warner Bros. Pictures first access to the projects Amazon Studios wishes to produce in cooperation with an outside studio."

The Amazon Studio deals include rights payments of $200,000 for winning submissions, and a $400,000 bonus "if the movie makes over $60 million at the U.S. box office". It also awards prizes of $20,000 for the two best scripts in a month even if they don't become a movie.

See for all details https://www.amazon.com/?tag=absowrit-20.

Here's how it works: Together with you we'll rework your manuscript a littlethen we submit it to Amazon Studios for their contest, following their guidelines. They award prizes monthly.

Activate your entry for Amazon Studios today: go to http://www.publishamerica.net/AmazonWarnerBros1.html, click Add to cart, choose a shipping option to start the activation. In the Ordering Instructions box be sure to mention the title of your book. If your book has not yet been released, add "Pre-release!"

By activating your book's submission to Amazon Studios you authorize PublishAmerica to act on your behalf and you agree that this constitutes your consent in writing.

After we have received your activation you will be contacted about adding your book's list of characters and a film synopsis.

See you in Hollywood!

--PublishAmerica Bookstore

---------------------------

Typical--they're vague on the "we'll rework a little" and charge 99 bucks to do something the writers can do themselves for nothing.

Just when you think PA can't get lower and more disgusting, they pull this.

Amazon Studios deal stinks too:

"Amazon keeps the rights to ALL submitted work, whether you win or not for a minimum of 18 months. They keep ALL creative rights, but the author is left with any legal liability for the work (even after they have, if they choose, someone else rewrite it). They also will submit it to any other contest they run during that time, and you will have to agree, sight unseen to those contracts as well. (which means that they could stick you with an even worse deal later) Oh, and if they do decide your work is worth doing something with (publishing, etc) there is a fee that the author will have to pay."

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Does that mean Amazon will be reading PA's slush pile, or will Warner Bros. do the honors?

PA has a slush pile? I guess if someone submits a manuscript that doesn't meet the minimum page count or is legally actionable in some way, they'd kick it to the curb.

Oh, and I agree on the spelling of yippee.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
PA has a slush pile?
Someone has to do the 15-minute review of all submissions for derogatory comments about PA, sting manuscripts and so forth.

As Ken said, the sales records for second-time authors are checked before the new submission is added to the queue for review by the "acquisitions editor" or whoever is sitting in that desk on that day.
Not enough sales = too bad for you. Rejection.

If you don't buy enough of your own books, PA isn't wasting any more time on you.

And if sales are way, WAY down, they will contact previously rejected first-time authors to ask them to resubmit their work.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
...If you don't buy enough of your own books, PA isn't wasting any more time on you.
But if you're willing to spend more money---

And if sales are way, WAY down, they will contact previously rejected first-time authors to ask them to resubmit their work.

then you will have to work with their rewriter$ to make it PAcceptable.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
I don't trust the PAMB

Do we know how many of the PAMB entries are real PA authors and how many might be PA employees/managers posing as PA authors in order to talk up the latest PA offer? I don't trust anything on PA's web site, since so much of it is either misleading or outright lies, so I'm skeptical of the PAMB, too.

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
I don't trust PAMB either, since anything even remotely negative gets toss to the cornfield. Their rep points are -1000.

B.L. Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blrobinson.yolasite.com
I have 22 days left in my contract... already received the "let's renew your contract" email, which I replied to in all caps and quite thoroughly told them exactly which orifice they could place their offer, as well as a letter to both PA and their " non-attorney" stating that I refuse to resign another contract, so far no reply to any of them. I was thinking about having an acquaintance attempt to order a copy of my book ten or so days after my contract expires just for the heck of it.

It's been a loooong seven years, but will be so glad to be OUT of it finally!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's fun the vent, but follow up with a plain and sober business letter instructing them to send a signed, written confirmation that your contract is canceled effective (date) to (address) and to confirm that your work will be completely removed from their website and that all existing copies (in the unlikely event there are any) are destroyed.

Good luck!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Actually, if I recall the PA contract (at least one version) correctly, they don't have to destroy any unsold copies. They can sell them and not send you any royalties.

(Since you're the only one likely to buy a copy, this isn't a big thing.)

Last edited:

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be a stinker...when has PA ever sent royalities. They talk about it but normally the author gets the form letter x amount books sold. 0 royalities because you didn't sell enough or they having legal issues, excuses that they give can fill an entire thread.

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about having an acquaintance attempt to order a copy of my book ten or so days after my contract expires just for the heck of it. It's been a loooong seven years said:
Over four years ago, I had my rights returned by PA. I just now typed in my book on the Bing search engine and found the book still for sale literally around the world, U.S., Japan, India, Sweden, Australia and etc. And the book is shown to be "in stock," in all cases. The sad thing is these badly written, badly edited books, once out there, seem to take on a life on their own and will never go away. And by the way: if the book has sold in the past four years, I have not seen any royalties.