The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing they took pictures of every single book on display so all those poor authors could see it and think OMG THAT'S MY BOOK UP THERE *SQUEE!*

And, wow, does that display booth look saaaaad compared to the commercial publishers.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
I'm guessing they took pictures of every single book on display so all those poor authors could see it and think OMG THAT'S MY BOOK UP THERE *SQUEE!*

And, wow, does that display booth look saaaaad compared to the commercial publishers.

As usual, the authors will get a heavy dose of reality when the next royalty statement arrives and they realize that PA didn't actually sell any of their books at the book fair.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, what a pathetic little booth. I'd be so embarrassed if my publisher set up a booth like that and my book was on display. S&S had tables and chairs in their booth - much more inviting!

Can anybody post a photo here or link to a photo somewhere else? I don't have Facebook.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Sure those books sold---to the author(s).

But such sales do not count toward royalties. Else PA would actually have to pay

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Notice how many books have different books 'behind' them? It was but the work of a moment, I'm sure, to shuffle the titles and take another picture to show the kids back home their books on display at the big book fair.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
That, and the books lying on the shelves look warped like they were printed off a laser printer. Between that and those curling covers, PA made every effort to put on a shameful display of low quality books. Did you also notice that most of the books they took are about the thickness of a pencil?

B.L. Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blrobinson.yolasite.com

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Wonder what's going on with PA's website. The "New Releases" page hasn't been up-dated since Sept. 5 and even the "Testimonials" page hasn't been updated since Sept. 8.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
They're still unpacking from the book fair along with trying to convince themselves they're a publisher after seeing how the real ones operate.

As dvbone, an ex-employee, once posted, and it always stuck in my head:

Everyone at PA realizes within their first day of work there that PublishAmerica is just a fast food printing joint, not a publisher. You put your heart and soul into your novel. PA puts nothing into it. Jump dump it into a PDF form and sent it to the press. Then it's onto the next one. And the next one, Hundreds per month.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Great, now there's an anonymous commenter on Elizabeth Darker's blog saying that people who choose PA are "lazy at best and stupid at worst". It's tough enough getting out of PA's clutches without also being under the impression that experienced writers hold you in contempt for that mistake. :(

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
They're still unpacking from the book fair along with trying to convince themselves they're a publisher after seeing how the real ones operate.

But didn't they donate all those books to a school or something? And they certainly didn't take a lot of decorative stuff for their booth. What's to unpack?

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think PA went to the Frankfurt fair to sell books. I think the fair participation was a cover for a paid vacation for certain employees at PA authors' expense and a tax write-off for a faux-promotional business expense.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Great, now there's an anonymous commenter on Elizabeth Darker's blog saying that people who choose PA are "lazy at best and stupid at worst". It's tough enough getting out of PA's clutches without also being under the impression that experienced writers hold you in contempt for that mistake. :(

There's contempt enough to go around as regards PA. But 100% of that contempt should be for those behind PA, not for those who have let their dreams lead them into the clutches of the scam artists in question.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
I don't think PA went to the Frankfurt fair to sell books. I think the fair participation was a cover for a paid vacation for certain employees at PA authors' expense and a tax write-off for a faux-promotional business expense.

You may be right, but I think PA also went because it encourages the fantasy among PA authors and potential PA authors that PA is a real publisher. Some might even be deluded into thinking that PA is actually helping them promote and sell their books this way.

PA is slick. They are very good at promoting the naive author's delusion that PA can help make him/her rich and famous, whether it's by sending books to Oprah or attending a German book fair.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
There's contempt enough to go around as regards PA. But 100% of that contempt should be for those behind PA, not for those who have let their dreams lead them into the clutches of the scam artists in question.

No one is so street-smart and cynical that the right pitch on the right day won't take them.

Newbie writers are easy. Just tell them "I love your book!" and they'll give you the shirts off their backs, the keys to their cars, and the contents of their bank accounts.

PA has put years into perfecting their pitch, and their founder was a professional psychologist before he became a vanity publisher.

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
No one is so street-smart and cynical that the right pitch on the right day won't take them.

That is an excellent point!

I have become very cynical and wary of pretty much anything anyone ever tries to tell me. Still, last year, I came within about two seconds of falling for a phone scam involving what I thought was Verizon. And I'm the type who checks and double checks every stupid story people send me through email, on FB, etc. D'oh! :e2smack:

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
The page of PA best-sellers is interesting:

The #1 fiction book (published in 2008) isn't available from PA and is only available from resellers on amazon.com. The #2 fiction best-seller (published 2009; 22 pages for $24.95) has no amazon ranking at all.

The #1 non-fiction best-seller (published a few months ago) has no ranking at Amazon and is listed as temporarily out of stock. The #2 best-selling non-fiction book (published a few months ago; 78 pages, $24.95) has no cover on Amazon and no ranking, but is listed as in-stock for $19.95.

So, if some of the best-sellers don't even have Amazon rankings, how are they best-sellers? Oh, right—best-selling to their authors. . . .

Edited to add: One of their best-selling fiction authors commented a couple of times on this site. If the best-sellers ain't happy, what does that say for PA?

Last edited:

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Reading the comments on that site was heartbreaking. Got my "mad on" all over again.

Please, please, please, if you are considering signing a contract with PA, Google "PublishAmerica scam" and read the stories of people who wanted to believe PA was a legitimate publisher and chose to ignore the warnings only to become another unhappy statistic lying in PA's wake. Don't make the same mistake I did. It is not worth it. I wouldn't wish a PA experience on anyone.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
PA has a court case this week in Frederick. The library lady filed the suit last year.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
PA has a court case this week in Frederick. The library lady filed the suit last year.
If this link works, you can see the notices and motions to dismiss and deposings and quashings of expert witnesses have really been flying:
http://casesearch.courts.state.md.u...il.jis?caseId=10C09003264&loc=67&detailLoc=CC

I was amazed when I searched Maryland's court cases for Frederick. There's a whole long list of cases involving Publish America.
http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/inquiry/inquirySearch.jis To be fair, some of them are not really about PA, but are for garnishing various employees' wages. But there are more cases than I've heard about.

Last edited: