amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I love how so many of the books are curled and don't lay flat. Photographic evidence that PA provided themselves of shoddy workmanship.

I was just thinking that. Also, not even a sign with a logo? Compare that with RandomHouse's or S&S's booth... Scaring the big publishers? I don't think so. It just drives home how amateur PA is.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, what a pathetic little booth. I'd be so embarrassed if my publisher set up a booth like that and my book was on display. S&S had tables and chairs in their booth - much more inviting!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Looks like out of the 40,000 titles they hauled over about 120-140 books.

Wonder how many copies the writers had to buy to get taken along on the ride.

And yes, they were certainly taken for a ride.

Isn't it odd that there are no PA employees visible?

Out of 16 pics, 9 show little more than PA books and the rest are other houses and architecture shots of the convention center.

Who the hell are they kidding? It reminds me of one of those tiny little sno-cone stands you see in the parking lots of the real stores.

Neil Larkins

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like out of the 40,000 titles they hauled over about 120-140 books.

Wonder how many copies the writers had to buy to get taken along on the ride.

And yes, they were certainly taken for a ride.

Out of 16 pics, 9 show little more than PA books and the rest are other houses and architecture shots of the convention center.

Who the hell are they kidding? It reminds me of one of those tiny little sno-cone stands you see in the parking lots of the real stores.
I am somehow, strangely...underwhelmed. Why do I also get the impression that PA's booth is nowhere near Random House? By "near" or "next to" (can't remember which comparison words they used) did they mean like Canada is "near" or "next to" the United States, or like Haiti is "near" or "next to" the United States? Geez. The least possible effort and money they could expend.
Neil

Neil Larkins

Registered
Reaction score
Off Topic Question:
I'm showing my ignorance here. I've now read in several agent blogs that he or she does not accept "fantasy" works. It's made me realize that I really don't know what comprises fantasy. I guess I'd kinda sorta thought all fiction was also "fantasy" to one degree or another. Obviously, not, that it's a definite thing. So, question: Anyone want to tell me what is meant by this designation "fantasy" or where I can go to get a good reading on the subject, either here on AW or elsewhere? Thanks so very much.
Neil

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It means you have to go to a bookstore, find writers who have work similar to what you write and check their websites to see if they mention who reps them. Usually a short, polite mail asking if they can recommend a reputable agent will get a reply.

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score

That's because they are all at six flags equivalent or touring the wineries or beer halls. Its a vacation don't you know.

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Off Topic Question:
I'm showing my ignorance here. I've now read in several agent blogs that he or she does not accept "fantasy" works. It's made me realize that I really don't know what comprises fantasy. I guess I'd kinda sorta thought all fiction was also "fantasy" to one degree or another. Obviously, not, that it's a definite thing. So, question: Anyone want to tell me what is meant by this designation "fantasy" or where I can go to get a good reading on the subject, either here on AW or elsewhere? Thanks so very much.
Neil

It's a genre of fiction, usually associated with science fiction in the bookstores (you'll find both genres in the same section). If it's got elves, vampires, dragons, wizards, etc. in it, it's probably a fantasy story.

Neil Larkins

Registered
Reaction score
It's a genre of fiction, usually associated with science fiction in the bookstores (you'll find both genres in the same section). If it's got elves, vampires, dragons, wizards, etc. in it, it's probably a fantasy story.
This has all been very helpful. Thanks.
Funny - and I guess this is one place where I've disconnected - I've always associated elves, wizards etc. as falling within the supernatural rather than science fiction, but don't know why. Maybe because a lot of authors mix the two...or are themselves confused? Got myself straightened out. A little.
Thanks again, everybody.
Neil

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
This has all been very helpful. Thanks.
Funny - and I guess this is one place where I've disconnected - I've always associated elves, wizards etc. as falling within the supernatural rather than science fiction, but don't know why. Maybe because a lot of authors mix the two...or are themselves confused? Got myself straightened out. A little.
Thanks again, everybody.
Neil

Depends. If you're talking elves like Seelie, Unseelie, fae, etc. then that usually falls under supernatural. If you're talking elves like drows or Tolkienesque elves, then you're in fantasy territory. The former because like ghosts and such there are people who believe things like the Seelie exist. They sort of fall into the same category. Pretty much no one thinks Tolkien's elves specifically are real. I would definitely recommend reading a couple fantasy books and a couple supernatural (which you'll find in the horror section most likely) and you'll see the difference.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Supernatural is generally called Paranormal, for marketing purposes. If you see an agent or publisher that accepts "paranormal romance" for example, it usually means ghosts or other 'supernatural' elements.

Fantasy, SF, and Horror generally fall into the umbrella category of "speculative fiction" - meaning the ultimate in 'what if?' stories.

Most novels are 'fiction', is what you mean - meaning a made up story. But any novel where the events COULD have happened (meaning possible in our world and with our laws of science, for example) is generally termed 'realistic fiction', sometimes 'literary fiction', and if there are certain elements they could fall under the classification of 'mystery', 'detective novel', 'romance' or another category. You can mix spec fic into that and get fantasy mystery, or fantasy romance. I've even seen paranormal detective stories.

It sounds much more complicated than it is, but if you remember than fantasy or SF contain elements outside of what is generally accepted reality, while paranormal usually walks the line between what is accepted by some if not scientifically proven, you'll do fine.

(See what happens when you ask a library student a question like that?).

*sorry for the derail, I just thought this deserved a complete answer*

Neil Larkins

Registered
Reaction score
This has really helped. I'd designated my one completed book as Young Adult Fantasy Adventure but had begun to wonder about the accuracy of that placement. Now I think I've probably put it where it belongs.
Young Adult: Because the protagonist is 14, as is her best friend.
Fantasy: Because quite a few things happen that could never happen in real life, and there is a possible wizard...though he never accepts the charge.
Adventure: Because what the characters, especially the protagonist, do is truly adventurous. (If a girl with a major physical handicap thwarting the plans of a powerful organization to bring back Nazism isn't an adventure, I don't know what is.)
So I was having my doubts and am happy to find that I knew more than I thought. (This self-doubt, that I claim not to know what she knows I do, irritates my wife no end. But I do like to do a check up once in a while.)
Thanks again, everyone.
Neil

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
I know we keep derailing here, but if your story is primarily YA then you'll be targeting agents and publishers who handle YA stuff. Best advice I ever got for stories that seem to have more than one genre is you label it according to what the strongest element is.

And to get this back on PA, my heart's breaking for the PA author holding a book party this month. This author is putting out so much money...

Neil Larkins

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps the Mods can shift that last few posts over to AW Roundtable?
The Roundtable! Great. I've become such a lazy thinker these days, what with a lot of other issues I usually don't have to deal with, that I forgot to go there with my question. Thanks.
Neil

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
That's because they are all at six flags equivalent or touring the wineries or beer halls. Its a vacation don't you know.

That's what I'm thinking. The book fair is a merely way to write off a vacation as a tax-deductable business expense.

You'd think that they'd at least ask a few folks to pose in front of their display and feign interest for a photo op. Or maybe even a shot of a PA person setting up the display. But photos of a booth visited by no one—what's with that?

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000962252451&v=wall

After stating in an earlier post that they would be donating "unsold" books to a church, they are now stating that staff from a local library is taking them and they are flying OFF the shelves. All what? Maybe 150 books?

It seems obvious to me that they don't want to have to ship or carry them home.

And, one of their former and VERY loyal cheerleaders is quite obviously not very pleased with them.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
PA said:

wow! staff from a local library stopped by and took many of our books for their library and for a budding library in Jamaica, and they will be sending some of their associates back to pick up more since they couldn't carry anymore!

I'm sure the local libraries visited ALL the booths at the fair trolling for free books.

I'm sure most of publishers did not want to pay freight to carry books home and just left them there, if not donated to libraries, then in the recycle bins. On the last day of the fair they were probably tossing them into the thinning crowds in an effort to empty boxes.

PA--you're NOT special. Really, you're not.

And if PA titles were flying off the shelves, then why is your booth empty of even employees? Was everyone having a beer break?

If I worked for you I'd need a LOT of those!

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Probably because they only took whoever paid to be there. Which I imagine wasn't a lot, obviously.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
No chairs, no tables, no lights, nothing to entice a reader into the space.
Not even a lollypop tree.

That display is an embarrassment.

I'd be ashamed to have my book associated with PA.

Elisabeth Bruce

Registered
Reaction score
My friend went with her publisher from Australia and sent me an email today: "Wish you were here, Lis."

Oh, so do I wish I was there. She went by invitation and they're picking up the tab.

I need to work harder.:cry: