The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Cute foreign accents apparently do not sway government investigators. The question is whether PA forced Meiners out or Meiners bailed out.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I was laughing so hard about Cretella's bit with that dictionary I gave myself a cramp.

Meiner's patronizing attitude toward the US and the people he's dealt with (I can't bring myself to call it worked with) sure doesn't jibe with that book he put out in '06, the product description states:

No-nonsense gratitude opens your door to living rich. Think thanks, and nothing is impossible. Your wildest dreams coming true: this is the magic of saying thank you.

But his blog posts indicate a a quite different attitude. He makes a bloody fortune here then complains about this being a country of complainers. What a (fill in the blank).

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
...that comes to a handy $155K for PA in less than a month...toss another $35K onto the stack for a cool $190K since June 30th.
Some people are terminally gormless.

Nevertheless, that's nowhere near enough to keep the Good Ship Lollypop afloat.

Does anyone else hear the theme music to JAWS getting louder and louder?

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are over 1300 titles in the PAperback link. ... Now, click over to bargain hardbacks and find another 300 or so titles.

I wonder, though, if that many people really whipped out their credit cards to activate the new formats or if PA is just priming the pump by listing books to create that illusion. I can picture a PA author waffling over spending the money and deciding to check if others are doing it. Seeing 1300 titles could be enough to overcome their doubts.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. They claim 50,000 authors. 1300 seems realistic enough to me. Sad, though.

AudioGenius

Registered
Reaction score
You can get the whole four-volume set for only (Ack! Gasp!) $39.95

This strikes me as both brilliant (even with the ridiculous title) and sad. I mean really ... PA managed to produce a product using efforts of their own customers PAuthors, with literally no compensation. Not to mention that there is a fairly high chance that new PAuthors as well as cheerleaders will purchase the book as a way to support their fellow PAuthors, their 'publisher', and in effect provide themselves with encouragement and emotional support. It's just evil.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
If I recall, anything a PA author says or writes becomes 'property' of PA, who can use it for advertising or whatever, including creating this book.

I'm guessing PA simply compiled a bunch of comments from the PAMB and put a cover on it.

Think it'll become a best seller, or Up In Lights?

Anon76

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
From The Publish America Report by Rev. Sinthyia Darkness and Thomas Myers

Okay, she has a flaky name, but this stuff might have some chops behind it in regard to PA's weirdness this year:I've always wanted the IRS to get this bunch. They took down Al Capone, why not PA and their sloppy bookkeeping?

What sticks out to me is...if they have no inhouse printer, and no outside printer, how are the books then "available" to brick and mortar stores.

AudioGenius

Registered
Reaction score
If I recall, anything a PA author says or writes becomes 'property' of PA, who can use it for advertising or whatever, including creating this book.

I'm guessing PA simply compiled a bunch of comments from the PAMB and put a cover on it.

Think it'll become a best seller, or Up In Lights?

I don't know, a while back they actually had a request for submissions for the book. They were very careful in explaining that they would not be paying anything for PAuthors' submissions.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
What sticks out to me is...if they have no inhouse printer, and no outside printer, how are the books then "available" to brick and mortar stores.

Because it's 'avaliable' as in 'avaliable to be ordered once it's listed in a database'. Where it's listed amongst thousands and thousands of other titles, overshadowed by publishers who are actually pitching to booksellers.

narcolepticgi

SSSSShhhhh! I'm taking a nap!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whypublishamerica.webs.com
gosh-golly-gee batpersons...

:Shrug:who knew?
By submitting your essay you irrevokably authorize PublishAmerica, LLLP, at its sole discretion, to include it in the book "Why We Wrote" without compensation for you in any manner at any time, and to include it in any and all promotional activities and/or publications in any form or format that benefit the book and/or literacy advocacy and/or PublishAmerica who reserve the right to refuse or edit for spelling, grammar, or size.
Here's the gospel, straight from the e-mail I received.

Who's up for contributing to a rebuttal book on why we wish we'd never been seduced by these silk tongued devils?

Maybe we can't make the horse drink from the poisoned pen; but we can stop other horses from joining our ranks. We could put book sales in a slush fund and pay a good legal firm to take these people to court.

Maybe Gill would like to handle the composition? Double-dog-dare ya'!:evil

quagsire440

Registered
Reaction score
Nah, submit it to PA. We'll split the advance.

The question is - how do you make sure they accept it? They might accept everything, but surely they wouldn't a book so critical of them. They'd be able to tell...right...?

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
The question is - how do you make sure they accept it? They might accept everything, but surely they wouldn't a book so critical of them. They'd be able to tell...right...?
This is the how the acceptance process goes for every single submission; use a stopwatch during the manuscript review.

Read first 2-3 pages.
Read last 2-3 pages.
Read 2-3 pages from middle.
Do a word search for "hot" words that might indicate a scam:
Willem, Meiners, Clopper, Miranda, Prather, Stooges, scam, cheat, publish, Frederick.
Copy a random sentence from the manuscript, preferably some dialogue using a character name, and google it to see if it has been published before.
Copy a random paragraph and search the manuscript to see if it has been repeated.
Google the title to see if it has been published before.
Check the PA database "black list" of author names to see if the submission is from a previous troublemaker or known enemy of PA.
If so, forward it to Miranda Prather.

Got it?
Click your stopwatch and begin.
You must complete each review within 15 minutes or risk losing your job.

I presume that "google author's name" has been added to the instructions.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is the how the acceptance process goes; use a stopwatch:

Read first 2-3 pages.
Read last 2-3 pages.
Read 2-3 pages from middle.
Do a word search for "hot" words that might indicate a scam:
Willem, Meiners, Clopper, Miranda, Prather, Stooges, scam, cheat, publish, Frederick.
Copy a random sentence from the manuscript and google it to see if it has been published before.
Copy a random paragraph and search the manuscript to see if it has been repeated.
Google the title to see if it has been published before.
Check the PA database "black list" of author names to see if the submission is from a previous troublemaker or known enemy of PA.
If so, forward it to Miranda Prather.

Got it?
Click your stopwatch and begin.
You must complete this assignment in 15 minutes or your job is in jeopardy.

I presume that "google author's name" has been added to the instructions.
Repeat until day's quota has been met or you've been fired.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Repeat until day's quota has been met or you've been fired.
That's exactly right.

The Acquisitions 'Editor' also has to update the database, fill in the contract and acceptance letter templates, print them all with mailing labels and get signatures.

And meet the daily quota of accepting no less than 15-20 submissions a day, IIRC.

BTW, you PA authors, have you noticed that your correspondence and envelopes from PA are never on actual letterhead?
That they print mailing labels for your address and use a rubber stamp for their return address?
That any letters and the contract are printed using a template on plain, cheap copy paper?

That in itself says a lot about the company you're dealing with.

Cheap bastiges.

Last edited: