The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Under the category "Lack of Communication" -- I have received no information from PA regarding any of the changes they are implementing. Nothing about hardcovers. Zip about softcovers going by the wayside. Nada about the PAperbacks. So lovely when a publisher chooses not to inform their authors about major changes with their book and their book's availability, price and format.

Which is why I provide the latest details here. Not everyone gets these emails and I think it's helpful to state what PA is saying about themselves. You don't have to second-guess PA; all you have to do is read their contract and do the math on their "specials." I won't be surprised if they take me off their email list; it's too easy to link my AW identity to my PA title. They probably already have made the connection. I've made no attempt to hide it any of you could figure it out in 30 seconds.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
On the PAMB, an author asks
What is the physical difference between the PAperback and the softcover? Aren't they the samething?

Another answers:
I think, and I am not sure, this is a guess, that the paper may be a little lesser quality and the cover more flimsy, not card stock.

Like I said, that's just a guess.

Makes me wonder if the PAperbacks aren't covered in just regular PAper, er, paper. Would be cheaper to produce, and oh so innovative.

Anybody seen any of the new PAperbacks?

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
The PAucity of quality PAper is not what will sink a PAperback, but the lack of a viable distribution PAth.

In other words, since no PAying customer (save the author) will ever see the PAperback except in the PAstore, the PAin of that will be PAlpable.

Wow, that was hard. Someone hand me a PAbst. :D

Neil Larkins

Registered
Reaction score
This is an oddity - or odd to me, at least: I found my book on Amazon this a.m. and see that one place has a used copy for sale at $99.62! It's called the_book_community. What? Do they hope they've got a collector's item and do they do this with all the books they get? Just seems strange, and I wonder how many others this has happened to.
Also, Amazon is still selling my book for $24.95 (too high and marked down from $29.95 a while back) so wonder where it will end up with this current reshuffling PA is doing.
Neil

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ninety-nine times out of 100, those "used copy" sellers are automated sites which grab ISBNs and slap an outrageous price on it in hopes someone will think it collectible and buy it. The book likely doesn't exist. If someone orders one, they'll (try to) buy it from the publisher and pass it on.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
one place has a used copy for sale at $99.62! It's called the_book_community.

This amuses me too.

Ninety-nine times out of 100, those "used copy" sellers are automated sites which grab ISBNs and slap an outrageous price on it in hopes someone will think it collectible and buy it. The book likely doesn't exist. If someone orders one, they'll (try to) buy it from the publisher and pass it on.

That makes sense. I'll bet this is what all those Indian, South African and other overseas book sites do. I was pretty sure they didn't have an actual relationship with PA.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
That makes sense. I'll bet this is what all those Indian, South African and other overseas book sites do. I was pretty sure they didn't have an actual relationship with PA.

No, in the case of overseas online booksellers, they list everything that's in the databases of the distributors they're hooked up with. So, if PA books are listed with, oh I can't keep it all straight, say, Baker & Taylor, any online seller who lists B&T's books will have entries for PA books. It NEVER automatically means they have possession of a physical book; it means they can order it through the distributor.

For example, my books, published by a US publiser, are listed on sites all over the world. If someone orders one, the seller (say, Amazon.de or Flipkart.com) will order it and ship it to the buyer. Doesn't necessarily mean there's a copy sitting in the warehouse in Germany or India; it might have to be ordered from a warehouse in the US.

It's too bad more PA victims don't understand that just because a book is listed on a site doesn't mean someone bought a copy. It's all just database entries.

Neil Larkins

Registered
Reaction score
No, in the case of overseas online booksellers, they list everything that's in the databases of the distributors they're hooked up with. So, if PA books are listed with, oh I can't keep it all straight, say, Baker & Taylor, any online seller who lists B&T's books will have entries for PA books. It NEVER automatically means they have possession of a physical book; it means they can order it through the distributor.

For example, my books, published by a US publiser, are listed on sites all over the world. If someone orders one, the seller (say, Amazon.de or Flipkart.com) will order it and ship it to the buyer. Doesn't necessarily mean there's a copy sitting in the warehouse in Germany or India; it might have to be ordered from a warehouse in the US.

It's too bad more PA victims don't understand that just because a book is listed on a site doesn't mean someone bought a copy. It's all just database entries.
About four or five years ago I discovered my book on a number of foreign book sales sites and wondered how...oh. I get it now: They don't keep copies on hand. Any order was probably done on a drop-ship basis. They would get the order and payment and then send the order and PA's portion to them with the information of who to send it to. Or possibly it went through a third party, broker-style outfit. Either way, or whatever way, I could tell they had no copies. Otherwise I should have been credited by PA for some thirty or more copies, even if each site only had one on hand. My royalties stayed nonexistant. This would be the case for every PA author.
Neil

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This just in! Hot off the PA "presses": PA massmarket hardcover

I can activate a bargain hardback edition of my book. It will be a new edition of my book, printed using the same paper, the same size, same case binding, and same dust jacket as the older hardcover, but with its own ISBN. It will permanently sell for $14.95. I use one coupon to buy five, another coupon to buy ten.

There will be no further "cheapo" offers, and I can still activate my $9.95 "PAperback," if I haven't done so already. (Why no, no I haven't).

PS: I knew the overseas sellers didn't have copies of my book, I figured they listed books in a database automatically, took a cut if someone ordered, and then PA printed and shipped the book. I just wasn't sure by what mechanism this happened.

Last edited:

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
$14.95 for a hardcover? That's cheaper than REAL hardcovers in the bookstore. Are we sure this is a PA offer? I've never known them to actually price a book reasonably.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
$14.95 for a hardcover? That's cheaper than REAL hardcovers in the bookstore. Are we sure this is a PA offer? I've never known them to actually price a book reasonably.

Yep. The latest email, arrived about an hour ago.

Last edited:

Neil Larkins

Registered
Reaction score
Must be a typo. They're all about typos.
If it's a typo, they're sending it to everyone. My PA email usually comes several hours later than Chris' and mine jibes with his. Sounds suspicious, but who knows what they're up to.
Neil

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a typo, they're sending it to everyone.

And will likely have to honor it. I doubt it's a typo; The first part of the email says "under $15," and notes the most hardcovers currently list for $24.95 or $29.95. $14.95 is given as the price.

The word "permanently" is in bold, and there is no disclaimer about a limited time. We'll have to see what happens.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just had to chuckle. The email begins: "Dear Author: we're writing history."

With an entire subforum, hundreds of threads, and over 100,000 posts devoted to them, yes, yes they have made their way into the annals of writing history. May God have mercy on them.

AudioGenius

Registered
Reaction score
It's quite possible that they're serious. They still make a pretty hefty profit off of a 14.99 hardback. Espescially, if they're doing away with the "deep discount specials" That means that they'll be selling them to authors with their standard 20 or 30% discount (I can't recall exactly which.) That still either $10.49 or $11.99, plus 3.99 shipping on each book. It's actually a worse deal for the authors in many ways. Heck, after shipping the author would potentially make $0.51 (if they manage to sell it) on each book if they got a 30% discount, with a 20% discount they'd lose $0.99.

But, as it's been said before, even if they didn't screw people in the cost per book, it's not as if they are actually placing books where they will be bought.

Note: I just noticed that the cost was actually 14.95 rather than 14.99, so my numbers are off by a few cents ... but it still sucks.

Last edited:

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm lost in all the offers. Are any books, softcover or hard cover, still at their original price? I never activated my PAperback, nor the bargain hardcover. If I called up and ordered, what would I get and how much would it cost? Too fast, too furious! And curiouser and curiouser.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
I looked at random pages on the PA bookstore earlier today and only saw one title listed for $9.95. It was an e-book though and not one of the "new and improved, looks like,feels like, reads like, sized like and full of errors like" the softcover version. Hey PA, what if I wanted a wall poster sized copy?

ParanormalWx

Let's go on a journey...you coming?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paranormalweather.com
I'm glad I found this thread.

I was thinking of PA as an option when I get my book done. But not anymore. I guess I'll try the traditional route first and go from there.

Thanks to everyone,
Mike

Elisabeth Bruce

Registered
Reaction score
From Chris P: "Dear Author: we're writing history."

In Australia, if we say or write something like this, it means it's over. You're no longer in the 'game'. 'Done, dusted'. Kaput.

I know it's fanciful thinking but we can live in hope;)

AudioGenius

Registered
Reaction score

I was thinking of PA as an option when I get my book done. But not anymore. I guess I'll try the traditional route first and go from there.

Thanks to everyone,
Mike

Welcome to AW Mike. I'm relatively new here myself, but I've enjoyed it so far. Congratulations on dodging the PA bullet. Also it should be noted that these PA warning threads are a relatively small part of a rather remarkable author's resource.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com

Thanks to everyone,
Mike

Even if you decide against commercial publishing, there are much, much, much better options for self- and vanity-publishing.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

:welcome: We are glad you found it, too!!

I guess I'll try the traditional route first and go from there.

Actually, "traditional" is a PA term. They use it to make people feel safe.

The real term is "commercial publishing" -- which is to grant the right to print a book to a commercial publisher in exchange for advance money.

The best way to find a real publisher is to go into a bookstore, find titles like your work, and see who publishes them by looking inside the front pages.

You won't find PA books there.

PA is hoping no one will notice that.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
Welcome

Thanks to everyone,
Mike

Welcome, Mike. :welcome: You've made a wise decision in deciding to no longer consider PA. I wish I had found this thread before I signed with PA three years ago. Good luck on getting published.