The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PAperbacks are different than softcovers?

PA's big announcement is that although softcovers will still be discontinued, PA books will be available in "PAperback" (similar to mass market paperbacks) at the permanent price of $9.95. Minimum order is 9, and if you order 15 or more you get 5 free softcover versions. It seems you must place this order for your PAperback to be available:
The coupon activates the production of your book's brand new PAperback version. It will make your PAperback available to the whole wide world within approx. 24 hours after your order.
Bolding in original.

Not knowing all the industry lingo, what's the difference between massmarket paperback and softcover? Dimensions? Thickness of the cover material? Quality of the paper?

ETA: Despite "whole wide world,"
PAperbacks available inside USA only.
Bold in original. I guess that means only US authors can place the order, but once we get the books we can ship them ourselves anywhere.

Last edited:

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That seems too good to be true. Mass market paperbacks, all priced at $9.95?

Of course, at a minimum order of 9 books, the author would have to pay $89.95 for the books plus $35.91 for shipping (for a grand total of $125.86).

I thought my softcover should have sold for $9.95 (or less) from the start. I wouldn't pay more than $4.99 for MMPB of my book.

Last edited:

Neil Larkins

Registered
Reaction score
PA's big announcement is that although softcovers will still be discontinued, PA books will be available in "PAperback" (similar to mass market paperbacks) at the permanent price of $9.95. Minimum order is 9, and if you order 15 or more you get 5 free softcover versions. It seems you must place this order for your PAperback to be available: Bolding in original.

Not knowing all the industry lingo, what's the difference between massmarket paperback and softcover? Dimensions? Thickness of the cover material? Quality of the paper?

ETA: Despite "whole wide world," Bold in original. I guess that means only US authors can place the order, but once we get the books we can ship them ourselves anywhere.
The other shoe drops. I suppose in a way I get a partial win with my guess that PA would come up with a way to continue the softcovers. I say partial because I thought they would put the hardcover rollout on hold. But even if a partial, it's no victory to celebrate. This endless war that PA wages on its authors by continually trying to manipulate them to buy their own books, while all the time saying that no author is ever "required" to, stinks to high heaven like that steaming pile we all know of.
Neil

Last edited:

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The other shoe drops. I suppose in a way I get a partial win with my guess that PA would come up with a way to continue the softcovers. I say partial because I thought they would put the hardcover rollout on hold.

I knew there was something coming, but I didn't know what. I truly suspected some internal PA chaos they were trying to dress up as a good thing. Despite all they pull, I thought it would be out of character to say "Haha! Fooled you!" so blatantly. They're much more subtle than that.

Someone who knows the biz better than I might be able to answer this. What is the relative profit of softcovers versus MMPB? Cutting the price in half for a product that costs 1/3 to produce is a great move if it doubles sales.

Last edited:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I'm confused. Trade paperbacks are paperbacks.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the smaller paperbacks we tend to think of as MMPB much more expensive to produce using POD? Otherwise, wouldn't most POD books have been produced that way to begin with?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Someone who knows the biz better than I might be able to answer this. What is the relative profit of softcovers versus MMPB? Cutting the price in half for a product that costs 1/3 to produce is a great move if it doubles sales.

It's an issue of book size:

What PA calls Soft covers = trade paperback (about 6x9 inches)

MMPB = a book printed in quantity on an offset press (about 4.25 x 7.25").

Only in PA's strange little world their "mass market paperbacks" can still come from a Print On Demand machine. Lulu offers a "pocket edition: 4.25" x 6.875" which is printed on a POD machine. PA is doing the same.

The other main diff is distribution.

Again, PA is hoping (with weaselly wording as usual) their writers will think that MMPB = the book will be in stores.

But it will NOT. It will be the same old thing of PA marketing only to its own writers. They are not set up to deliver 1000's of MMPB to stores and never have been.

In the real world of publishing (any where outside of the PA building) a MMPB is printed in the thousands. The more printed, the lower the base price for the publisher. Books are warehoused and shipped to stores. Titles are listed with distributors like Ingrams or Baker & Taylor, and stores order from that list. MMPB have to be printed/sold in large numbers to keep the price down & make a profit.

Trade editions may be printed in lower numbers and still make a profit. Real publishers have been turning to this size of book as a compromise between MMPB and hardcovers. The trade has the HC size, a smaller price, and is seen as a bit more prestigious than a MMPB. The writer makes a bit more of a royalty on it than for a MMPB.

Both sizes find their way to the stores, thanks to proper distribution.

BUT PA has no distribution. It cuts into their profits.

PA will print, one at a time, those MMPB on their machine, same as the trade paperbacks. It will cost them about the same. They may put a lower price on the "MMPB", but they will expect to sell more to the writers, and they will pad the shipping cost as usual.

PA still turns a hell of a profit, since they need only print a few books to the writers who order them. Once in a blue moon do they ever fill an order placed by the general public. This is only because the writer did a good job of promotion, not because PA put the book out where it could be seen and bought.

PA cannot afford to do true MMPB print runs of their 40K titles. They can't and won't.

They WILL encourage their customers--that's YOU dear PA writer--to assume their MMPB format will wind up shelved in stores across the US.

Not going to happen.

Different size book, same old ripoff.

PA writers, I feel sorry for you.

Stooges--you're still tools.

Last edited:

Neil Larkins

Registered
Reaction score
PA writers, I feel sorry for you.

Stooges--you're still tools.

Well, I guess. We're all beyond PA :flag: but considering we're still here talking about them, maybe not.

Dylan was right: No matter who we are we gotta serve somebody. :cry:

Neil

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Well, I guess. We're all beyond PA :flag: but considering we're still here talking about them, maybe not.

Neil

Neil--a number of PA writers lurk on this board. I often address them directly. More than one has written to say some of my posts helped them to make up their mind to leave PA. I feel good about that!

The Stooges are the 3 people running PA: Willem Meiners, Larry Clopper III & Miranda Prather.

Meiners originally teamed with webmarketer Clopper and ran "a vanity press called Erica House, which charged its authors up to $8,000 to “publish” their books.

In 1999 they hit on the PA formula: promise to print anything sent to them, give a 1-dollar advance, use the word "traditional" a lot because it makes people feel safe, and sell copies at an inflated price to their own writers. There are no upfront costs to "print" (the books are in a computer file).

They are gambling (successfully) that most writers will order copies--they do--and they count on at least 100 people a week to fall for their website's misinformation, lies, and claims that they are a real publisher, rather than a reverse vanity press.

Those new writers at first think they are now "published" and enter the "honeymoon" stage. PA gave their book the "chance it deserves." Most of them figure out all is not as it's supposed to be when, once they're locked into a crap contract, their e-mails go ignored, phone calls are not returned, books are late, errors are introduced to the text that PA charges 99.00 to remove, books are NOT in the stores, the royalty check is a joke.

They generally don't want to believe they've been had, so the honeymoon period can go on for quite some while. PA loves that and continues to send "buy your book" emails until the writers wake up and smell the coffee. Some find their way here, and we love when they do that. Others give up writing altogether, thinking all publishers are scum like PA. Many write better books and move on, which we encourage!

Miranda Prather lurks here on the AW board to keep an eye on us. This is why PA writers who want to break their contracts opt to not use their real names. She gets off on holding their books "hostage."

Know thy enemy. She put on her crazy hat in college, and still wears it. Many PA writers have gotten her infamous "tone" letters, where she berates them for not being "grateful" to PA and demands groveling apologies. Those letters have the signature of whoever they hired that month, but no mail goes out of that office unless she clears it.

Read these two posts and you can see how things are run inside PA.

She is referred to here as the "InfoMonster" since she patrols the PA message boards and removes ALL posts that dare to question PA's shoddy business practices. Even the mildest of reasonable questions vanish.

When that happens, we say they've gone to the cornfield, a reference to the Twilight Zone ep. where the creepy kid with psychic powers runs things. Anyone who made him mad got wished to the cornfield--buried alive.

None of my wankage is aimed at PA writers past or present, but I will harsh on PA. The writers--I hope!--get that! ;)

Last edited:

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Neil,
I would say it helps. And its not harping on PA but showing that there STILL doing this BS. So lets say in 2006 we stoped posting anything about PA. At the beginging of the year when I found this site I would have seen that and been like oh there is nothing wrong with PA. They must have cleand up there act. I was actualy thinkin of going with them until I saw this site and saw this area dedicated to them and decided to do a google surch what I found was saddening. Not to mention PA keeps changing tactics. They want to get as much money out of there authors as they can so they keep doing stuff like the hard back books or the MMPBs. I am so VARY glad I stumbled on this site :) It has helped me in so many ways.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Dylan was right: No matter who we are we gotta serve somebody. :cry:

Neil
Trust me, Neil. The mods are here to poke us with pointy sticks if we get out of line. Heck, we'd even welcome the stooges if they came here in peace.

Anon76

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Neil,

Gilloughy's "Stooges-you're still tools" is not directed at PA authors.

That's the pet name for PA brass. (For clarity's sake.)

B.L. Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blrobinson.yolasite.com
A few months ago, Lulu began offering "publisher grade" paper available in two sizes, U.S. letter, 8.5"x 11" and Digest, 5.5"x 8.5". It dropped the price of my books by about $4.00, but their statement is "Publisher Grade paper is available globally, but produced in the United States only. Creating a version of a book on Publisher Grade paper can be a cost effective choice for a reading audience in the United States, but International shipping costs to other countries may result in increased costs for international users when compared to using Lulu Traditional standard paper. Lulu recommends creating a version of the book on Publisher Grade paper for a U.S. readership and a separate version using Lulu Traditional standard paper for a Non-U.S. readership."

I have ordered quite a few in the new size, and the quality is exactly the same as the other paper option, so I created versions in each just in case. The format does change slightly, but the conversion is down by Lulu so I don't have to fret over creating different files for different formats, but hard telling if PA would do it for free, probably not. Not really concerned over it, I am down to 189 days till my contract with them expires!

Neil Larkins

Registered
Reaction score
That's OK. Funny as it may sound, I'm not offended at being called a stooge, which I certainly was and will admit to, even though it wasn't meant for me.
Neil

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I am down to 189 days till my contract with them expires!

But who's counting? ;) Seriously, congrats for being so near the end. :)

(And for the record, I'm teasing about counting. If I were in your shoes, I'd have a countdown ticker for it. Yanno, like the ones you can create at http://www.tickerfactory.com. LOL!)

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am down to 189 days till my contract with them expires!

Yay! You have informed them in writing that you do not want to renew? Depending on your contract, it might renew by default unless you state otherwise.

I haven't figured my days yet. It's still over 3 years to go.

Last edited:

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
That's OK. Funny as it may sound, I'm not offended at being called a stooge, which I certainly was and will admit to, even though it wasn't meant for me.
Neil
Neil, see my signature line.
Those are The Stooges: Willem, Larry and Miranda.

It totally pisses them off to be referred to as The Stooges, which is why you will see that phrase here a lot. :evil

B.L. Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blrobinson.yolasite.com
I have the old contract that states that renewal has to be done at least three months prior to the expiration of the previous contract, and that both parties have to agree to it, so I think I am safe, I also have multiple emails from them over the past year in regards to making sure it wasn't renewed, until they finally blocked my email and no longer read anything I send them... how nice for me to not have any communication with my (so-called) publisher, huh?

And I do have a countdown-clock running away, actually!

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
Ok, wait. I wish to go back a little in the conversation. :D

In the real world, not PA world:

Small paperbacks such as you might find on a truck stop rack would be called trade paperbacks?

For some reason I always thought the nicer ones were called trade paperbacks. So, when I go into Borders and see a nice table of all the new paperback releases - what are those called? (I'm picturing Water for Elephants, etc.)

Boy, this seems like something I should know after reading thousands of threads on here. Just one of those things I never asked. Thanks!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

The difference isn't in paper quality or in trim size. The difference is in the distribution.

Both trade paperback and mass market paperback are soft cover books.

Trade paperbacks (like hardcovers) are intended for the bookstore trade (hence the word "trade" in the name). They are full-copy returnable.

Mass market paperbacks are intended for the (ready for it?) mass market. That is, the same outlets that carry newspapers and magazines. The wire-rack spinners at the grocery store. The news stand at the bus station.

Mass market books are stripped rather than returned. The covers of unsold books are returned for credit against the next order.

There is no possible way that PA is entering the mass market. It's a highly complex and specialized world. They don't have the people, they don't have the contacts, they don't have the expertise, they don't have the knowledge.

The POD business model, and the digital printing technology, are entirely unsuited for mass market distribution. Any time PA uses the words "mass market" to refer to their product, they lie.

=============

As to the rest (only a couple of days between announcing that they would no longer be producing softcovers and announcing that they would be producing softcovers), I recall this bit from Orwell's 1984:

It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.​