The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I'm not sure if this is funny, sad, or both, but upon glancing over the thread, I thought this was an actual offer that PA was sending out.

Well, they did have a promotion some time ago where, if an author bought copies, PA would send them a rebate check for gasoline.

There were some "PA gives you gas" comments here and the promotion sank out of sight like all the others.

TheTinCat

I am a mighty viking!
Registered
Reaction score
The sad truth is that in today's economy, even five star restaurants expect you to bring in your own mayonnaise.

Dammit, I just bought that keyboard ....

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I was perusing the PA online bookstore, trying to see if I could find the $49 rights return page (I did find the $99 rights return page by typing in reverting rights, but did not find the $49 page), and I found this page: http://www.publishamerica.net/product92922.html

This was probably one of PA's "special offers" at one point, but it appears that you have to pay $19.95, as well as order copies of your book, to receive promotion of your soon-to-be released book at the bottom of PA's e-mails. They are targeting the author before they've even seen a copy of their book (most likely before they've even seen page proofs).

Gee, that would be a great increase in sales if it wasn't to the author. Also, I hope the authors realize that not too many other PA authors are in good enough financial shape to afford to even buy a copy. They're still trying to get their own work sold. I hope someone points out that none of PA's ads go out to the reading public.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score

C.M. Daniels

Cinnamon, sit. Bad fish!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.opendiary.com
I prefer calling them Granny-Beating-Donkey-Ball-Lickers, but typing "PA" takes less time than typing GBDBL.

Those poor donkeys!

In other news, I've done my good deed for the week. I met up with a new local writer and explained the PA trap. The Stooges aren't getting that particular writer in their clutches.

Anon76

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
My bad in going off topic.

Just wanted to express my joy at getting out of the slave shop I work in and having a new job. Perhaps I can work harder at slussing out PA and other scams now. (is it slusshing or shushing, or none of the above?)

Anon76

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Good to hear you like your new job. :)

I think it's "sussing".

Thank you. My brain went totally dead. Have been up since verra early yesterday morn to take the physical for new job. I work 2nd shift at my current place. Close to being up for 24 hours and only got 4 hrs sleep before that.

Not so bad for the young, but feeling it big time at 48. Woof

AudioGenius

Registered
Reaction score
My bad in going off topic.
Perhaps I can work harder at slussing out PA and other scams now. (is it slusshing or shushing, or none of the above?)

QoS is right ... as usual. However, I do find it amusing that using the Urban Dictionary's definition of "sluss", slussing could be appropriate.:D

Sepisllib

Truth, gentle or not!
Registered
Reaction score
True to their word - the fantastic "duo" returned my letter for a cash offer to return my contracts.

My offer is one of cash and no books, period. They have to do nothing but pen the letter relinquishing total and unadulterated rights to me and the place it in the mail.

Of course - they had threatened to return all mail unread - and true to their word they did just that. I sent an envelope, minus return address, containing the offer. They searched their data base and found the city matching the postal stamp and then sent it back as "refused."

I have now sent it right back to them - using a totally different address and now will see if it is opened and read.

The time shall come - when someone mightier than us will judge each one of them and likely the outcome will not be to their liking. Pray for them.

God Bless

Bill

AudioGenius

Registered
Reaction score
True to their word - the fantastic "duo" returned my letter for a cash offer to return my contracts.

My offer is one of cash and no books, period. They have to do nothing but pen the letter relinquishing total and unadulterated rights to me and the place it in the mail.

Of course - they had threatened to return all mail unread - and true to their word they did just that. I sent an envelope, minus return address, containing the offer. They searched their data base and found the city matching the postal stamp and then sent it back as "refused."

I have now sent it right back to them - using a totally different address and now will see if it is opened and read.

The time shall come - when someone mightier than us will judge each one of them and likely the outcome will not be to their liking. Pray for them.

God Bless

Bill

Hmm, your offer wasn't more than $99 was it?

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
It did work for me, although I'm not happy with the wording of the letter. I think it will suffice, though. The total came to $102.95 when PA added $3.95 for a shipping charge (they sent the document with a return receipt request and signature required).

Last edited:

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
If even 1/10 of their supposed population buys into it -say 4,000- we're looking at about $16,000.

Squeeze that turnip; watch it bleed.

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
I wonder as well if they are not trying to pare down the list a bit and reap some turnip squeezings.

The standard B&T contract has a $35 fee to enter a book into the database and $10 per year to maintain it there unless it sells more than 10 copies during the year.

Unless PA got some sort of dispensation, that's $1.4 million to get 40000 books into the database (not including the happy-damn-it authors with multiple titles).

That also gives PA a $400,000 per year incentive to "nudge" each author into buying 10 copies of the book.

So, they might have been willing to pare some of the (in their opinion) rotten fruit off the vine. Ya know, those pesky disgruntled jelose toady bug non-authors who are all whiney and complainy.

PA gets $102.95, doesn't have to pay $35 to register the manuscript with B&T, and doesn't have to pay up to $70 to archive a non-seller for up to seven years.

Hmmm . . . that equals $105.00

102.95 . . . $105.00 . . . Coincidence? I think not.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

"Compared to the Stooges I am a fumbling, bumbling amateur!"

barassoc-279.jpg

PA's Rules of Acquisition:

"Once you have their money, never give it back."

"The best deal is the one the Authors never figure out."

"Never spend more for an acquisition than you have to."

"Anything worth selling to the Published Author is worth selling twice.”

"Satisfaction is not guaranteed."

"Keep your lies consistent."

"Work is the best therapy--at least for employees."

"Every once in a while, terminate a contract. It confuses the hell out of Absolute Write"

"The flimsier the product, the higher the price."

"Learn the Published Author's weaknesses, so that you can better take advantage of him."

"There's nothing wrong with charity... as long as it winds up in our pocket."

"Published Authors are the rungs on the ladder of success, don't hesitate to step on them."

"Never be afraid to mislabel a product."

"A print mill can afford everything except a conscience."

Last edited:

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
I thought my mind was finished being boggled.
Tell us what you think is the best part of your book, the passage that you are proudest of, the lines that you feel represent your talent as a writer the best. Let's include your own favorite words in The Best of PublishAmerica, a book that's already destined to become a PublishAmerica bestseller when we release it this Fall.
So let me get this straight... I'm supposed to choose a passage from my book, based on my own opinion, which will mean absolutely nothing to those who have not read my book, to be placed in the midst of who knows how many other random passages of unrelated books, of which also have not been entirely read by others, so that it will be part of a book built entirely of muddled chaos?

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
I thought my mind was finished being boggled.
So let me get this straight... I'm supposed to choose a passage from my book, based on my own opinion, which will mean absolutely nothing to those who have not read my book, to be placed in the midst of who knows how many other random passages of unrelated books, of which also have not been entirely read by others, so that it will be part of a book built entirely of muddled chaos?

They're borrowing a page from the infamous poetry contests, where you submit a poem and voila you're accepted. Later on they put your poem in a book with other winners and you get to buy the book for $29.95.