The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 211 of 211 FirstFirst ... 111136161186201205206207208209210211
Results 5,251 to 5,258 of 5258

Thread: The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY! THE DAY HAS COME!

As of today, my book, To Dry the Tears of a Clown, is no longer held hostage! The last day was yesterday, August 24, 2016, and today my book is now up for sale at all the major e-book retail sites!

I made use of Smashwords' and Amazon's new feature for indie authors that allowed me to do a pre-order, and as I waited for that magical date, I created new book covers and went through the manuscript line-for-line. I had all the time in the world but the funny thing is? I found precious few errors, unlike what ultimately ended up in the PA version - which goes to show that they actually ADDED errors! As if the gods and goddesses were blessing me from the hereafters, I was surprised to already sell a copy of both of my books this morning!

At any rate, I'm now busy with preparing both books for printing via Createspace because I intend to hold a giveaway soon.

But I'm certain all of you who have had to wait out your contracts (or had to buy your publishing rights back) know exactly how happy I'm feeling!

You can see the new book covers that I've set as my avatar. I had to remove the one with my beloved Pug, Harley, since he's no longer with us. I had to put him to sleep last April, which was very, very difficult for me to do. I can only hope he enjoyed his 13.5 years with our family. I still miss him incredibly.

At any rate, a long and arduous seven friggin' years is over, and I can finally breathe freely.
    People tell me I write unique and intriguing stories, but the thing is, my stories write themselves. I'm just a scribe.
    ==================================
    Writing Illuminatus {Book 2 in The Girl in the Leather Jacket paranormal YA 4-Book Series}

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Hurrah! A detour, not a dead end. Onward!

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    Hurrah! A detour, not a dead end. Onward!
    That's exactly what it feels like, James! I couldn't be happier. My lord but it was a long detour. At any rate, I have my publishing rights back and I really couldn't be happier!
    People tell me I write unique and intriguing stories, but the thing is, my stories write themselves. I'm just a scribe.
    Writing Illuminatus {Book 2 in The Girl in the Leather Jacket paranormal YA 4-Book Series}

Quote Originally Posted by A Scribe View Post
    That's exactly what it feels like, James! I couldn't be happier. My lord but it was a long detour. At any rate, I have my publishing rights back and I really couldn't be happier!
    Congratulations for waiting them out! I hope they didn't get any of your money.
    May God bless,
    Don

Don't give your book, or your money, to America Star Books (formerly PublishAmerica) until you know the truth. Follow this link to read actual documents written by America Star Books/PublishAmerica that show conclusively what they are, and what they are not: http://christianityforthinkers.com/PublishAmerica.html.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Davidson View Post
    Congratulations for waiting them out! I hope they didn't get any of your money.
    Maybe in the beginning, like around 2010, a year after they "published" my book. But I haven't bought anything since. They haven't even tried to sell me this last year. I guess they knew I had no intention of ever buying from them again.

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A Scribe View Post
    Maybe in the beginning, like around 2010, a year after they "published" my book. But I haven't bought anything since. They haven't even tried to sell me this last year. I guess they knew I had no intention of ever buying from them again.
    A few years ago, based on what former PA employees posted here about their hourly salaries, how many people are involved in any PA book at the time, how much time each spent on each book, and what it costs to print a book on demand, I calculated that PA only needed to sell about 15 to 20 copies of any one title at list price to come out ahead. I'm sure enough hard-working authors with stars in their eyes bought that many or more to make up for the 10 I bought of my own on a 50% off special.
    Last edited by Chris P; 10-29-2016 at 05:05 AM.
    Join any time! Take the 2017 AW Reading Challenge. Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Somewhere back in the archives here I figured it out; without re-researching it and recalculating it, the answer to how many sales PA needed to make to break even was 15 (as Chris said). The typical PA author sold 75-150 copies of their book, or bought the books themselves (at inflated prices so high that books at "author's discount" were still more expensive than full-retail books from real publishers using identical printing technology).

If some authors bought few or no copies of their own books, no matter. Some eager beavers would buy 200 copies. The averages held.

It was a brilliant plan -- for PA. The authors, the ones left holding the bag, didn't make out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
    A few years ago, based on what former PA employees posted here about their hourly salaries, how many people are involved in any PA book at the time, how much time each spent on each book, and what it costs to print a book on demand, I calculated that PA only needed to sell about 15 to 20 copies of any one title at list price to come out ahead. I'm sure enough hard-working authors with stars in their eyes bought that many or more to make up for the 10 I bought of my own on a 50% off special.
    Well, I did buy 5 hardcovers and 5 paperbacks. Looks like they made money off of me after all. *sigh*

So...does anyone know if they still exist? I know they changed from PA to Star Spangled whatever publishing. Are they still in business? I sure HOPE NOT.

Page 211 of 211 FirstFirst ... 111136161186201205206207208209210211