The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how many boxes from each of these offers will be returned/refused, because of the suggested shipping interests' different rules about receiving packages. A retail establishment receiving a package that isn't labeled with a purchase order number? Highly doubtful, at least when I worked in retail receiving.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Thanks, Julie, I never knew that. It seems odd to have our Coast Guard guarding another coast... hmmm...

I used to have an Army pen pal - met through "Dear Any Soldier" - during Desert Storm and he said the same thing as Stacia (had to go look - almost called you December - old habits die hard. :D) Mail call was the highlight of the day - from the smallest postcard to the biggest care package.

But this makes me feel a little sick...

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
Having lived in military housing in England, I can tell you that anything mailed from the states to an APO/FPO takes at least two weeks and most times longer, and that's during normal times of the year, much less the holidays. Media mail seems to take forever to be received, and anything mailed after the deadline of Dec. 4th, will probably go SAM regardless of what price postage was paid. All packages to military installations overseas used to travel by military aircraft so that they got to the right places. Unless it's changed since I was in England, I imagine they still send to APO/FPO the same way.

Last edited:

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
Does any Koolaid-free person on the face of the Earth believe that PublishAmerica is actually sending anything to Walmart, Oprah, or Afghanistan? Unverifiable lunacy meant to separate their poor writers from their money.

Wake up and smell the Stockholm Syndrome, PA victims.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Well they did send at least one box to a bookstore. The author was instructed, by the manager, to come and pick them up because they would not stock them on the shelves - free or not.

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
While we all agree that this is a particularly tacky move by PA, exploiting the military for their own profit, I am curious if there is any legal violation. Is it legal to assert that you are participating in a holiday book drive for soldiers after the deadline has passed to participate in the program? Is it legal to use the names of the armed forces to sell books to unwitting victims of your scam?

I wish there was a way to call the Marines and tell them what PublishAmerica is doing with their good name.

Steam

Registered
Reaction score
I wish there was a way to call the Marines and tell them what PublishAmerica is doing with their good name.

And Miranda Prathers drives up to work one morning, to find it both smoldering and radioactive.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
There are some charity groups, I believe, who will find a serviceman for you--like, they sign up with the charity, and you give the items and they box them or they give you the info--if you don't know any and still want to send things, but you can't just ship stuff to the military.

anysoldier.com
I know it's not PA related, but I thought I'd put it out there in case somebody wants to do something nice for soldiers.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Back during Desert Storm there were some fairly stringent restrictions on books being sent to service members. I recall that stickers had to be placed on the covers of certain novels to make them ... appropriate. I think it had to do with the requirements of the host country at the time (the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia), but there may be something similar for troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Y'all might check.

Kenneth K

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kennethjameskirsch.blogspot.com
Today's scam, for those who are keeping count, was a flat 45% discount off my book and free shipping. Now, mind you, noone else will see that discount if THEY wanted to buy my book. This is a discount for me, just for me. Presumably because I'm just so special.

By God, they love me. They really, really love me.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Today's scam, for those who are keeping count, was a flat 45% discount off my book and free shipping. Now, mind you, noone else will see that discount if THEY wanted to buy my book. This is a discount for me, just for me. Presumably because I'm just so special.

By God, they love me. They really, really love me.

As long as your credit card clears.

ETA: Welcome! I'm not sure I've said hello and welcome yet. :welcome:

Colts442

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
E-mails

Yep, its true, I got the very same e-mail today as well for the 45% discount and free shipping. Sorry Kenneth, I guess that means I'm special too. LOL!

Also, I don't know if I posted a while ago that PA had sent me an e-mail saying "Surprise!" we're sending you a free copy of your book to reward you for all the hard work you put in to it. That was almost two months ago.

Low and behold, guess what? My book actually showed up on Wednesday delivered by UPS. They actually kept their word on something. I was shocked! Wonders never cease. :Shrug:

Thought you guys might get a kick out of that. LOL!

PhoenixAngel

Registered
Reaction score
I actually never heard of them before stumbling across this thread. When I visited the website it looked like a scam to me.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Does any Koolaid-free person on the face of the Earth believe that PublishAmerica is actually sending anything to Walmart, Oprah, or Afghanistan? Unverifiable lunacy meant to separate their poor writers from their money.

Wake up and smell the Stockholm Syndrome, PA victims.

I've wondered at this as well. There is no real way to verify that it went to any soldiers, Oprah, or Hollywood. Why would they spend the money on actually printing the free books and shipping them when they can keep the money and tell the authors they did it? Especially considering some of the facts, like many Hollywood people won't accept unsolicited manuscripts for legal reasons, Oprah specifically says she doesn't accept them, and as someone else already pointed out no books would reach the troops in time for Christmas anyway as they've missed the deadline.

My guess is the same as yours...with no way to verify (with the bookstore didn't they let the author choose the bookstore?) why would they do it at all? I actually wish there was some way to find out whether or not they were following through, because if they were lying about it, wouldn't that qualify as false advertisement or something?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Must have been a slow week at PA. Only 5 titles in the Dec14-20 section. (And yet 2 of the covers are just basically colored backgrounds without major objects.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Was on Facebook today and I thought I'd take a look at PA's Wall... lots of *head/desk* moments there.

So far all the negative information I have read from as far back as 2003 makes no sense. The fact they are still in business is amazing with the negatives that are out there. I suspect some jealousy from other publishers not getting their big fat fees off the backs of the authors. So, either pay $8k and get 10 free books and some marketing or get your book published free, market yourself...the success of the book is not up to PA...it is up to the author...it is always up to the author untili they are a household name in authoring books.

I can't afford it either. I feel like I was the worst person to get a book published because I can't afford copies for book signings or anything.

All I am saying is if you want this bad enough, you can figure out a way to make it work. $700 is better than asking people for $7k other publishers wanted to publish the same book PA is publishing. Plus those same publishers also charged for the books, charged large amounts for shipping etc. I have researched this extensively and been to every publisher in the country & PA is offering the best deal still to get started.

Hi, I'm new to Publish America. Let me say that after months of trying and either not getting a response, many "you're not what we're looking for", and nearly getting taken in by a few scams, I can't believe I actually found a place where my dream might come true.

I took my book [title removed] to my local bookstore "Borders" and they refused it due to it being a "Pirint on Demand." My book is on the Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and other websites, but it says "not available at this time, sign up to be notified when it becomes available. I just recently had PA ship books to Rainy Day Books and Barnes and Noble here in Kansas City, but I am afraid they might refuse them due to being "Print on Demand."
(This person apparently had her books shipped to Ellen Degeneres, Kevin Costner, Mariska Hargitay, and Oprah, too...)

I want to know how to get publish america to refund my money that I spent on pre-ordered books AND getting released out of my contract with them so I can send my book to a REAL publisher who doesn't try to sell MY book to ME, the author? I have e-mailed PA about my book order on many occasions but I've gotten no resp...onse, and when i did, it was an automated response. I'm sick and tired of this and I think my book is better than some POD or vanity press that only is interested in selling my own work to me. I wrote the book for goodness sake, why do I want to read my own book?

:(

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Was on Facebook today and I thought I'd take a look at PA's Wall... lots of *head/desk* moments there.

If it helps at all, there are a few people trying to combat some of the misinformation. :) At least the guy who claimed PA was offering newbies the best deal in the industry seems to have clammed up for now.

bhall87

Four Score and Seven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tauycreek.com
It's a new week which means it's time for a new PA deal:
Dear Author:

PublishAmerica will put your book in your local Starbucks!

Guess where your fellow PublishAmerica author <name removed> was signing books this past weekend? In his local Starbucks! For two hours he sat there signing copies of <title removed> in Wylie, Texas. No word on whether his latte was free :).

PublishAmerica will donate your book to Starbucks. As many copies as you determine. If you are a regular, you have seen books, and CDs, and the New York Times in your local Starbucks. Your book's next! Starbucks customers famously have money to spend. If not, they wouldn't fork over five bucks for a cup of coffee.

We're not waiting for Starbucks to order your book. We're donating it to them, as many copies as you choose. They may put up your book for sale any way they want, highlighting you as a local author.

Here's how we do it:

If you want to have books on hand, you may now order any number of books
you need, and PublishAmerica will match the order. We will donate the
exact same number of books to your local Starbucks store. We won't
even charge Starbucks for the shipping!
And you receive a 40 pct discount!

Example: you order 20 copies, we print 40. We ship your 20 copies to you, and the same day we ship an additional 20 books to your local Starbucks, for FREE.

Go to www.publishamerica.net, find your book, click on it, then add to cart, indicate quantity, and use this coupon: Starbucks40. Then click Recalculate and finish the transaction. Minimum volume is 12 copies.
Want fewer books? Then use this coupon: Starbucks30. No minimum volume requirement here. This will give you a discount of 30 pct, and we'll still donate as many books to Starbucks as you order for yourself.

In the Ordering Instructions field, be sure to indicate the address of your
local Starbucks store. We will ship your books there the same day
we ship your order to you. By using the coupon you are authorizing us to
match your order and donate the books. You may also request that we ship
the FREE books to you instead.
Want us to alert your local media? Write "Media Yes", and we'll contact you
for newspaper addresses so we can tell them your book is off to Starbucks.
Also let us know if you want us to inform The New York Times Review of Books!

U.S. Starbucks stores only. Full-color and hardcovers excluded. Offer expires this weekend on Sunday night.

Thank you,
PublishAmerica Author Support Team

You would think they would've thought of Starbucks before Oprah, Hollywood and Afghanistan.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I'm waiting for them to suggest donating the free books to a funeral home so you can sign them (with help from surviving kin) before you're buried.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
This is so sad because there WILL be people who think it's a great idea.

None of them will be managing a Starbucks, though.

PA left out the bit about "clear this with the store first".

And how nice they're not charging Starbucks for the shipping. I suppose that will be part of the writer's promote-promote-promote mantra when he gets stuck for the bill.

So the writer sat there for two hours signing books.

Did he actually SELL any? Who keeps the book money? Starbucks?

I can see they'd be a better venue than a bookstore for PA titles since they have customers buying coffee and might make a fiver off the poor writer.

I can see that this is a great gimmick for PA writers to just buy their own copies and not try selling at 'Bucks.

There's always the trunk of the car in the parking lot.

Again--what the hell are they smoking at PA and where can I get some?

"Tomorrow we send the same mail, but we're covering 10-minute oil change places,
followed by dry cleaners, fire houses, and police stations."

alice-wonderland-caterpillar11248495438.jpg

Last edited: