How far would you go?

How far would you go to be in your character's head?

• Sure, I'd rob a bank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sure, I'd work out for a year to get fit if my character had to do that.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Sure, I'd commit adultery.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Sure, I'd run around partying and having random sex.

• Sure, I'd stalk someone if my character did.

• No way, I don't need help, I'm a genius writer and don't do any kind of research.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Nah, I can't be bothered

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Sure, as long as Jude, Collin, or Jeff were involved, I'd do it...heck ya I'd do it.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
This is reminding me of that famous story about the filming of "Marathon Man." Dustin Hoffman was playing a victim of torture, and so to prepare for one scene, he decided that he -- like his character -- should be suffering from extreme sleep deprivation. He stayed awake for such an ungodly period of time that he was truly almost at the point of breaking down before the scene was to shoot. Hoffman explained to his costar, Lawrence Olivier, just what he'd done to create his emotions for the scene.

Olivier replied, "My dear boy, have you ever tried acting?"

Don't get me wrong: It's great to try out stuff your characters try, or go places they've been. But when you're talking about hurting yourself/breaking the law/etc., it's just fine to rely on research and imagination.
That's a fabulous story! Thanks for sharing it.

I have to say, I did the poll rather flippantly. Mainly to get people in here to discuss, if at all what they do to relate to a situation or character or if their imaginations can carry them forward.

For me, I write mystery that is filled with murder, lies, intrigue, threats, and various other bad things. I obviously won't do those things to (although being intriguing isn't a bad thing ;) ) but I think it's an interesting premise that I might better understand one of my characters through experiences that aren't illegal or damaging to my person. I am learning very quickly just how out of shape I am when it comes to what I'd need to do to be fit for law enforcement duty.

I have to say though, if I were to rate actors, Hoffman beats Olivier hands down but then again, Olivier is incredible too.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I like that second option, because it's legal, ethical, and may have various positive benefits having nothing to do with story research.

But in general I wouldn't "push the envelope" to do research, unless it was something like dating a (female) movie star.

Hmm. Perhaps I should write a story about a female movie star.

Here's a radio host who did some research on something we've heard about in the news in recent years - this video is almost five minutes long, but you can get the gist of it starting at 2:10 when the guy with the watering can says "I'm going to do it on five..." And it (IMHO, of course) really doesn't look bad, it's just five or six seconds of this guy getting water poured on his face...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKfEjdAkmbs
The same event from a different camera, better quality audio (but ya gotta turn it up) and none of that dramatic music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9TzGGsVt60

But it appears he had a distinct negative reaction to it, when he finally speaks at 2:45: "It is way worse than I thought it would be." He even repeats that statement.

Now THAT's research.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Well, now I'm inspired. I'm going to get out my spreadsheets and I'm going to do my boot camp. Starting as of tomorrow morning. I'm going to do my cardio and sit ups and squats and see how well I do over 17 1/2 weeks. My MC was shot in the leg. I have a couple areas that are not doing well due to injury and surgery and I'll see if it's possible to rehabilitate to the required level. We'll see if I make past day two. :D

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
If you wanted to really get into your MC's head, would you become that person for the sake of authenticity?

To get all the way into my MC's head for the sake of perfect authenticity, I'd have to go after somebody like Robert Mugabe and put a bastard sword up his arse. Not happening. My wife would kill me if Mugabe's cronies didn't first.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
heh. I am loving this thread. It's great to see how people react and what they think. I probably shoulda put it in OP but there is an element of discussion I was worried we'd miss there. :)

Thanks everyone and to those of you who voted or made comments through rep points, yeah I wouldn't a copped to any of the illegal things either. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.