• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nurture Your Books / Pinnacle Author & Book Promotion / Dedicated Book Reviews

kafkonia

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post here so please be kind. :) I did a search for the titular blog but couldn't find anything, and thought it might deserve some attention. The url is http://dedicatedbookreviews.blogspot.com/ -- they were the subject of some hubbub over at the Book Blogger Appreciation Week folks.

I've already written up a lengthy post over on my own personal blog about them, but I wanted to get other people's opinions as well. They don't quite qualify as a scam because they provide what they say they'll provide; it's just that I think what they provide is nigh-useless. They charge fees to write reviews of your book, then charge you extra if you want them to post the review anywhere other than their own blog (although they graciously allow you to post the review elsewhere yourself so long as it is properly attributed.)

It looks like this grew out of a regular, non-fee-charging review blog, so I'd like to think that it's just someone who doesn't know any better rather than someone looking to take advantage of people. Does anyone have any more informed opinions?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There are quite a few review sites out there that charge for reviews, or charge for expidited reviews. It is one of those rare cases where the more you pay the less you get. If a reviewer buys their own copy is is the highest endorsement, if they are given a copy and review for free that is good, IMHO anything else stops being a review and starts being a promotion service--so the author should damn well expect to make back their investment in added sales. Which I doubt would happen in this case.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I wonder if Kensington Publishing would be upset the new name? Kensington owns the Pinnacle Books imprint. Could they argue that aspiring writers might be confused about the similar names? After all, you wouldn't want to call a new writing service Bantam or Ballatine or Knopf. :)

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
They're definitely not cheap in regards to their services. I'm not sure if the money is worth it, for what you get. I've always stayed far away from companies asking more than $199 for any book tour.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I can't add anything useful, but the enthusiastic use of TM, the substitution of z for s and those drop down menus are driving me crazy. That's enough to put me off looking at it in depth.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Yeah, it sounds more like Multi-level Marketing or Life Coach pitches. The TM part is a big red flag for me now. (Explanation: it seems to be a hallmark of companies often very eager to defend what they may regard as their intellectual property. Maybe it is, or maybe they're using that to cow detractors.)

<Went to look> On their Book trailers page, they feature a few. With the disclaimer 'Please note that the books featured on this page may not meet or reflect the promotional standards of Nurture Your BOOKS™.'

Huh?

Last edited:

kaites

kaites kaites
Registered
Reaction score
I just thought they might be worth looking into since they're the only book publicity firm I've found in my province. One of the authors they represent, Mathias B. Freese, seems to have done nicely?

Cassie Knight

Romance with Kick-Assitude!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
I used this service eons ago, like 2009 maybe? It was indeed pricey and I sold my husband on it. I don't regret doing it at all as I got some experience (I was a relative newbie with my first book being released from Samhain) and I thought Bobbie was fabulous. But the sales as a result were dismal. I certainly didn't see anything close to what I spent.

Over the years, things may have changed, probably have, but I also have learned a lot more and probably wouldn't use them again. The best thing I got from them? Contact with Jaidis Shaw who has her own author publicity services at http://www.junipergrovebooksolutions.com.

While I'll be honest and say using her hasn't generated a lot of sales either (I swear, no matter what I do and no matter how many fabulous reviews I get, I can't get these books sold), I have gotten a lot of reviews, new friends and followers and have established some great contacts so for me, working with Jaidis is much more effective and worth the money (which is not bad at all).

For Nurture, it might be worth you time and money to check them out--if you have the money you don't mind risking. I know they'll take care of you; just don't know how the sales will be.