EMBEZZLEMENT SCHEME COSTS BANK 1.2 TRILLION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Buy game with massive space ship armadas blowing the shit out of each other.

Play as a business investor?

That sounds fun!

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Someone is going to SpaceJail.

Where are the Ferengi with their "bailout" plans?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Once I ran a space-bank
saved it to my disk
Now my bank is busted
Brother, can you spare... an ISK?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, I *love* EVE Online.

Not as a game. As a game its boring as hell.

But as a social experiment, its fucking *awesome*.

A few years ago, there was the first boni-fide act of terrorism in EVE. An assassins guild was hired to infiltrate a player run corporation. They worked their way into the most trusted positions of the corporation, then at a predetermined date, they stole everything, blew everything up, then assassinated the CEO of the corporation.

End result? 5 billion ISK in damages, I think. The stolen ISK was worth more than the assassins were paid in the first place.

And it was also awesome.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
As an Eve player, zoom, that's pretty much a daily occurrence.

5 billion in isk damages isn't squat. You want real damage, read up on the defection of a Band of Brothers executive to the Goonfleet. That literally changed the political map of the game, as it caused the BoB to be disbanded, and now the Goons and their allies are now gradually conquering low security space. The damage and equipment lost in that campaign plus the defection is in the Tens of trillions of dollars, or in real life terms probably in the hundreds to perhaps pushing a million dollars in real life damage(based on the 15 bucks for about 400 million isk based on selling in game time cards).

Eve is an interesting game in that regard. You lose a ship you actually lose something of real monetary value, and the capital ships(titans) in game, are probably worth 50,000 bucks in real life money if you converted the components of the ship into ISK real world equivalents. These ships are routinely destroyed in massive fleet actions that might have hundreds or even thousands of participants.

However, I'm just in a lowly industrial corporation that specializes in the production of specific ship components/minerals. We're not much into warfare, so much as profiting off of it.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Dude, I *love* EVE Online.

Not as a game. As a game its boring as hell.

But as a social experiment, its fucking *awesome*.

Same thought about Second Life, in less than a month than the ban on gambling was ennacted, all the banks of SL when bankfrumpcty as quick as you can say "loading", and when I was active there was a big argument about making a big island to put all the sex-related areas.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
How nice that you've all decided to post in a foreign language. :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks Fran, for a few minutes there, I thought I was the only one who was completely clueless

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Aw, Fran, not a foreign language, a foreign (albeit online) world. Two of them, actually.

If'n you want to visit, there are folks here who can act as a guide.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks Fran, for a few minutes there, I thought I was the only one who was completely clueless

I'm angry.

I'll let Tycho and Gabe sum it up for me.

334291758_M9ooD-L-2.jpg

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/7/21/

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Once again, the wonders of fiat money and fractional-reserve banking are illustrated in graphic detail. And once again, most people will fail to relate it to the funny pieces of green paper in their wallets.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the best reason to NOT live in a totally non-regulated, 100% freeform capitalist libertarian "utopia" is illustrated in EVE Online.

Last edited:

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
That's depending on your view. Suppose you're the thief? I'm pretty sure I'd be able to have some serious fun on Eve online by stealing a trillion in isk.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the best reason to NOT live in a totally non-regulated, 100% freeform capitalist libertarian "utopia" is illustrated in EVE Online.
I'm gonna throw down a big ol' bullshit flag on that one, Zoombie. There is absolutely NOTHING free-market, capitalist, OR libertarian about either fiat money or fractional-reserve banking.

Certainly, in a free market, banks would be able to offer money based on nothing but the paper it was printed on... and people would be free to laugh in their faces and go down the street to a bank that based their currency on fixed exchange rates for precious metals, oil, or other goods.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I got my first paid story on Second Life, they paid me 500 Lindens (about 2 US dollars) I made fairly well considering I couldn't buy Lindens from here, so all my money came from hardwork

Status
Not open for further replies.