I'm looking for a word for the area outside of a walled city, like a medeival city. Outside the gate would be overflow housing, usually spreading out down the main road that leads to the city. In my historical reference (french) it uses the term fauxbourgh, which roughly means suburb, but I'm not completely happy with either of those words (one too archaic, the other too modern).

Any suggestions for what to call this housing area?