International agenting: help?

Aetheric

Will write for food
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a general question that's been bothering me for a while. I live in Ireland, which, while being an OK place and all that, is not so hot on publishing and agents and whatnot.

I tried to get a list of Irish agents and got maybe four names, only one of which accepts my genre and who subsequently did not respond to emails when I tried to contact them about their submission guidelines. Did I mention I couldn't find their guidelines online? Oh, the frustration...

Publishers here don't seem to be interested in any work unless it's very... Irish culture orientated, I suppose. It makes sense, because the non-Irish market is well served by UK and American books. It's not for me though - I've no interest in writing those kinds of books right now, not when I have other good ideas.

(I don't even know if I'm getting the right impression of the state of agents and publishers in Ireland. I can't find anything online. It took me months to stumble across the Behler Publications blog and finally learn some solid information about the industry - but how much of it applies here? I really can't tell.)

So my question is: how does one get an agent in the States or the UK if you're not living there? What does that mean for the publishing rights or marketing efforts? Hell, what about face-to-face-meetings?

There must be at least one other Irish author here who can help me. I'm also looking for any other Irish writing groups, because either my group in Cork is the only one in the country or the rest of you are just very, very well hidden!

Totally-not-bitter Aetheric

Danthia

Sames as any other author. You query agents. Where you live doesn't matter. My agent has an Irish author and she's in Denver, CO. Didn't stop either from selling a book and doing very well with it. Many authors have never met their agents face to face. Everything is done through phone and email these days. Rights are handled by your agent and they have people who are well-versed in how to handle all the legal stuff.

Check out agentquery.com and start researching agents who rep what you write.

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
Second what Danthia said. You query the mess outta it. Right now, since I live in the States and there's a LOT of agents over here, I'm only going with them for now. And if I can't get any here, well there's lots of great agents in Canada and the UK and other places around the world. :)

Good luck and happy writing! :D

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I also want to add that my agent, who is in London, has a whole host of Irish authors in his stable (and I'm Canadian). It's seriously no issue, especially with the internet and everything. Just research agents, find the ones that suit you, and query them!

Aetheric

Will write for food
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the advice - I really appreciate it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some writing to do.

^_^

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Heya. :)

I'm Irish, originally from Cork and now living in Dublin. My writing isn't very Irish-orientated, either, but I'm planning on doing a lot of email querying and most of the agents on my list are in the US. I know many Irish and British authors whose agents aren't in the same country as them and it works out fine. A lot of agents and authors never meet face-to-face.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

There must be at least one other Irish author here who can help me. I'm also looking for any other Irish writing groups, because either my group in Cork is the only one in the country or the rest of you are just very, very well hidden!

Totally-not-bitter Aetheric

You might meet some useful people here http://www.octocon.com/

Aetheric

Will write for food
Registered
Reaction score
Octocon, woo! I'll definitely be there. I only heard about it a few weeks ago.

I'll be terrified, but I'll be there.