The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leap Books

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar

Leap Books

Here's a new publisher of tween & teen books: www.leapbks.com. They haven't officially launched yet, but they have a beta website up. They say they're royalty-paying. Can't tell if they are an ePub or print. Anyone have more info? Know who the principals are?
    Last edited by Erin; 08-28-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

practical experience, FTW jsouders's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Here's a new publisher of tween & teen books: www.leapbks.com. They haven't officially launched yet, but they have a beta website up. They say they're royalty-paying. Can't tell if they are an ePub or print. Anyone have more info? Know who the principals are?

Hey I read something on their blog that they were print with a select few titles being e. I sent my query today, but I don't know if they are excepting submissions yet. I guess I'll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by jsouders View Post
    Hey I read something on their blog that they were print with a select few titles being e. I sent my query today, but I don't know if they are excepting submissions yet. I guess I'll find out.
    Hmmm...blog doesn't say anything about print. But I was assuming they were, since ePubs usually make the distinction right off the bat. I got the impression they have launch titles lined up, so they might already be taking queries. Good luck on yours!

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I believe Wild Rose is referring books to them after the demise of the Climbing Rose YA imprint.
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Hmmm...blog doesn't say anything about print. But I was assuming they were, since ePubs usually make the distinction right off the bat. I got the impression they have launch titles lined up, so they might already be taking queries. Good luck on yours!
    My bad it was there my space page.

Welcome to the Myspace hangout of Leap Books, a fresh voice in fiction for Teens and Tweens. Our books take you on a journey into the unknown, into love, into discovery, into new worlds. So read them, and LEAP...
    We are a royalty paying, print book, small publishing company. (e-books are available on select titles)

This was posted in TWRP Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey Bancroft View Post
    Good luck to all waiting! Yes, it is true different lines at TWRP receive more subs by times than other lines so things can move quicker and/or slower, depending on the number of subs and the number of editors and the number of submissions.

I know Wild Rose is all for info sharing, so I'm sure they won't mind my sharing this message that came through the authors loop regarding the Climbing Rose line:

It is with a heavy heart that I let you know this morning that we have decided to close the Climbing Roses line here at TWRP.

I am trying to contact each author who has a contract with us, but if I have not reached you directly, please contact me at (email addy deleted) so we may discuss your options.

After over two years of very low sales and dwindling interest in this line, we made the decision to simply close the line. Our focus at TWRP is on adult romance and we found that a YA line simply wasn't in our best interest.

We will be closing to submissions this morning.

What will happen to current submissions:

If you have a book currently out – we will continue to keep this book in inventory in all our distribution channels for 2 years from the day it released. If an author wants to remove her book, we will do that immediately with no cost involved.

If you have a book that is under review – we will not be reviewing it further, it will be returned to you immediately.

If you have a book that has been contracted but NOT released - you have the option of not continuing with us and you can have the manuscript back. Authors will not be charged any fee for pulling their books. OR we will continue as planned and release your book on the date scheduled and it will remain in inventory for 2 years after that date.

I am here if you have questions, concerns, discussion.

There is a new company called Leap Books which is opening in late September. They have agreed to take on all our YA products if our authors wish to move there. If you'd like to do this, I would be happy to handle the transition. Their website is www.leapbks.com and both Susan Yates and Kat O'Shea will be working with this new company.

I know you are disappointed, but I hope you can understand this is a marketing and business decision. Thank you for understanding and once more, I'm here if you have questions.

Hope this helps anyone who is waiting (I'm sure you'll hear directly from WR soon) and also helps those who may have been contemplating where to send YA.

Cheers, L
    It will be very interesting to see if a start up pub is going to succeed where TWRP has failed.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I wonder if they're taking on WRP books as print or eBook. I guess, we'll wait and see.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Eve Richard's Avatar

Leap Books

FYI, That announcement that TWRP put out about Leap Books is not quite correct. This is a correction that was issued later:

Leap Books has asked that I correct a bit of information about the announcement that went out earlier today. They are a small publisher of YA and tween books opening in January 2010 and will only be publishing about 6-8 titles a year. They already have several books lined up for 2010, but made the following offer:

Leap Books (www.leapbks.com) will be opening in January. Anyone whose book is slated for a 2010 TWRP release is welcome to contact Leap Books about moving it there, but please be advised that the release date may be later in 2010 than your TWRP scheduled release date. This offer is also open to anyone who is writing a sequel to a book that TWRP released. Leap Books would be glad to consider publishing your series.

Please note: The press will not be open to submissions until after January 1. Please check the website for submissions guidelines at that time.

Leap Books is mentioned on JacketFlap: here.
    Senior Editor of Climbing Roses, the YA line of The Wild Rose Press, Kat O'Shea is now Senior Editor of Leap Books.

I sent them a query and got the big R, but my friend got a request for full with the stipulation that it wouldn't be read until Jan sometime. That was, of course, before they stated they weren't taking submissions until January.

practical experience, FTW rejectME's Avatar
    Why would people being jumping to send queries to a publisher that hasn't opened?
    Please check out and "Like" my Facebook author page for info on current publications, WIP, and non-fiction work. If you have a page, I'd be happy to return the favor!

"In the end, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it." ~Norman McLain

Because we had both submitted to TWRP and the editors from TWRP told us to resubmit over there, since a few of them made the move. (Shrug)

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Imprints are Surge for teens and Frolic for 'tweens.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

USA Today Bestselling Author Jamiekswriter's Avatar
    Any new news on these guys? They're judging a contest I'm thinking of entering.

Just wanted to let you guys know that my publisher is open to unagented submissions for their novella line:

You can visit this link for more info: http://leapbks.blogspot.com/

Good luck to everyone!
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

practical experience, FTW tprevost's Avatar
    I tried to pull up their website, but it wouldn't come up for me. Does anyone have any information on their submission policy and how they're doing?

Yeah, it's not working for me either. Maybe they're having some technical difficulties, not sure. Their blog is working, but the author page seems to be giving me problems too. I emailed my editor on it. I'll let you know.

Their twitter is working and active. So I really don't know. As far as submissions goes, they have a new e-novella line called Shine that just opened up in April looking for word counts between 35-40K words.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

practical experience, FTW tprevost's Avatar
    Great! Thanks for looking into this, Undercover!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Updating link: http://leapbks.net/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

YA Fiction to DIE for... JudithGraves's Avatar
    I can speak to Leap Books and their e-novella line, SHINE, as I'm the new acquisitions editor. The line was dreamed up, then stalled - until I recently accepted a position to manage / direct SHINE. I've been a Leap author since 2010 and am thrilled at this opportunity to work behind the scenes in publishing.

Here's a link to the announcement: http://leapbks.blogspot.ca/2014/05/e...eap-books.html

SHINE's website is a WIP: http://leapbksshine.net/

So - got novellas? Fire them at me.

I hope to read your work soon,
    Judith

YAY, Judith! Congrats on the new position!

I'm a Leap author too and they're a great group to work with. I wish you the best of luck.

Twitter

YA Fiction to DIE for... JudithGraves's Avatar
    Thanks, Undercover - we're small, but mighty.

Judith

New Ownership for Leap Books (http://www.got-blogger.com/leapbks/there's an article of it further down the page)

They've already stepped it up. It's looking pretty good.
    I think Shine (their new YA Line) is looking for novellas (which can be a hard sell) But it's a great opportunity for shorter works.

Twitter

Seriously odd question I'm sure, but I don't see a link on the new website to send a submission. Is it because they're closed to subs now? Anywhoo --I'll keep scouring.
    www.karenleehallam.com

THE UNMOVING SKY " ... a chilling young adult thriller." (Leap/Shine Books, May 16, 2016)

GLITCH a middle-grade, Sci-Fi (tech) Fantasy [Rights Reverted and looking for a new home.]

Super excited. I got an R &R from Judith Graves. Let's see how I can rework this MS.
    www.karenleehallam.com

THE UNMOVING SKY " ... a chilling young adult thriller." (Leap/Shine Books, May 16, 2016)

GLITCH a middle-grade, Sci-Fi (tech) Fantasy [Rights Reverted and looking for a new home.]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast