A Farewell to Freedom of Speech, FCC 'Czar' Style.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I agree. We have every right to question these 'czars', and Obama's use of them. I've heard that there are now 32 'czars'.

Why aren't they accountable for their words and actions? Why do they get this power handed to them with no congressional approval, and therefore no approval by the citizens of the US?

We need to start asking a whole lot of questions.

Most importantly, why do they have a commie honorific?

Last edited:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
The commies overthrew the czars.

Duh! (And I'm not even drinkin'!) :Ssh:

Well, how about this: Are they trying to start a revolution by using mis-spelled 20th Century Russian Empire terminology with a secondary definition that specifies autocratic and dictatorial?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I looked at a few pages on the site - it looks like what I (in my non-PC&E mindset) would think of as a Wiki for news and editorial.

I don't know that I perceived, in my quick look, a slant either way, but people voicing views.

I'll admit to a gut reaction to some of the rhetoric that Joe cites, but I recognise it as such. Bears more reading.

Much as I admire the current President, it'd be wrong to give him a free pass.

---

I'm reminded of an anecdote [true or apocryphal? I don't recall] (see The Little, Brown Book of Anecdotes, under Abraham Lincoln):

A foreign dignitary was visiting President Lincoln in the Oval Office. He saw a newspaper on the desk. On the front page was an article excoriating the President for something he had or hadn't done.

The dignitary asked the President how the paper got away with printing that, and why the writer wasn't arrested.

Lincoln handed him the paper and said, "Take this paper home with you, and tell your countrymen where you found it."

Apocryphal. Lincoln threw several writers in jail for having the wrong opinion.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
It's not a "source," Joe. It's not even an "outlet." It's a paid-per-click blog on Examiner.

Still beats Dan Rather and CBS by a country mile though, don't it?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Conservatives have absolutely nothing nothing NOTHING to worry about here.

Liberals just do not buy into talk radio. I don't know if its the fact that since liberals are represented more by TV that they don't really listen to talk radio, or if talk radio just annoys them, ... I have no idea.

But the historical facts are that liberals do not listen to nor support Liberal talk radio and as such Liberal talk radio shows have ALWAYS had abysmal ratings. Even the latest radio venture "Air America" had abysmal results if IIRC.

Air America had everything you could ask for in celebrity talent, programming, publicity, etc. etc. and it still couldn't hold the jock strap of Rush Limbaugh's worst performance.

So in closing. "meh".

Liberals Radio shows could have all the air time in the world, Liberal audiences would still not tune in.

Yeah? So who's been listening to NPR all this time?

I disagree that liberal audiences won't tune in to liberal radio. They won't tune in to bad liberal radio same as any other audience.

When we had a liberal station tried here, I enjoyed Stephanie Miller and Ed Schultz's programs and hated Air America radio. Taking "comedians" such as Janeane Garafalo and Al Franken and plunking them in front of a mic for several hours didn't mean they had anything interesting to say. I can't stand Limbaugh, but at least he doesn't bore his listeners. He gives them something to chew on even if it's just bloody chunks of raw meat.

We've seen our share of right-wing blowhards bomb here. Mike Gallagher, Laura Ingraham, Michael Savage, Dennis Miller, G. Gordon Liddy, Bill O' Reilly are just a few of the talking heads who couldn't find an audience in Central Ohio.

Liberal radio is pretty lame, but so is a lot of conservative chatter. There's a reason why even after all this time, Boss Limbaugh still is the boss. Like 007, nobody does it better and everybody else is playing follow the leader.

If a guy can't get spell the name of his target right, particularly when it's a name as common as Lloyd, you can pretty sure he does not have any idea what he is talking about.

Really? If we follow those guidelines, we can effectively eliminate 90% of the posts in P&CE, most newspaper or internet articles and every ticker across the bottom of every major television news station.

Perhaps, but Clintl's point remains a valid one. If you're going to go around accusing someone of being a "Marxist" and otherwise try to drag their name through the mud, it's not asking the muckraker to go the extra mile and at least try to spell the name of his target correctly.

Don't be a lazy slob. Get the facts straight first and then assassinate the character second. At least then you will have some claim to credibility.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
http://www.cjr.org/resources/

Columbia Journalism Review maintains data on which media conglomerates own which outlets. Gannet and Stephens Media own lots of small town newspapers, for instance. The major networks and movie studios have lots of joint ventures.

And if you find one you're curious about, go to wikipedia for a history, and, of course, check the sources that wiki cites.

Interesting stuff.