British history, British agent?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I've been wondering if my query might have better success with British agents since it's about British history. I also was wondering the best places to find said British agents. AgentQuery and Publishers Marketplace seemed to be giving me only American agents.

Any advice/thoughts?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Not to be...

too discouraging, as I am sure someone will pop up with an exception, but my agent would howl in anguish!

"You're American, m'dear," she'd say. "You write American English and British readers want to read their history in their own language."

Search for a copy of 'Writers' and Artists' yearbook 2010' (or get the 2009 copy at a discount) which has the reputable agents listed in the agents' section. Amazon sell it.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that it matters.

I should think agents would know what works here or what works in the UK and, in any event, there's nothing to stop a US based agent touting a book to a UK market, if that's what it needs.

I know that there's at least one US based agent who's looking for Historical Fiction set in Europe.

TinneyH

Registered
Reaction score
There's an agent in the US actually looking for hf set in Europe? So far, in my querying, they all seem to be running away from mine, full speed ahead. Will you share the name? I'm curious if it's someone I've already approached. (Odds are good...)

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I've heard (but have no data to support) that the historical market is much stronger in the UK than it is in the US. *If* that's right, you may have better success there.

I could swear there was another thread similar to this a month or two ago, but haven't the foggiest clue as to how to go about finding it.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
There's an agent in the US actually looking for hf set in Europe? So far, in my querying, they all seem to be running away from mine, full speed ahead. Will you share the name? I'm curious if it's someone I've already approached. (Odds are good...)

So who is this agent? Share please.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
I've been wondering if my query might have better success with British agents since it's about British history. I also was wondering the best places to find said British agents. AgentQuery and Publishers Marketplace seemed to be giving me only American agents.

Any advice/thoughts?

Writer and Artist's yearbook.
There is a market for military fiction of the Roman period and the Falco books by Lindsey Davis have sold well -(roman detective.) YA historical fiction is also popular not so sure about anything else though. Good Luck

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you read the blog, http://readingthepast.blogspot.com/? I think it is a must-read for both readers and writers of historical fiction. In any case, she regularly gives information about books sold and books about to come out both in the UK and the States. Judging from the eclectic nature of the books she list, I'd be hard put to say that there are huge no-go areas. Certainly US agents are selling books set in Europe.

CowgirlPoet

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in your boat. I wrote a WW2 novel set exclusively in London, without a mention of America. I actually had an offer from a British agent (?!?!?!?!) but I haven't accepted it yet, for a few reasons. First, this guy is juuuuussstt getting started, and I think I might be better off on my own or with an experienced agent!

Second (and this was the clincher) what happens with marketing???? I can't afford to go to England! Even virtual marketing would be hard, because I don't know how it works in England at all. So...that was my major concern.

If, of course, you're super-familiar with the country in question (and feel you either won't need a real tour or can afford it) then go for it!

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in your boat. I wrote a WW2 novel set exclusively in London, without a mention of America. I actually had an offer from a British agent (?!?!?!?!) but I haven't accepted it yet, for a few reasons. First, this guy is juuuuussstt getting started, and I think I might be better off on my own or with an experienced agent!

Second (and this was the clincher) what happens with marketing???? I can't afford to go to England! Even virtual marketing would be hard, because I don't know how it works in England at all. So...that was my major concern.

If, of course, you're super-familiar with the country in question (and feel you either won't need a real tour or can afford it) then go for it!

Congratulations!

The agent must know that you're based in the US and would be aware of the marketing issues and would advise you.

Who's the agent?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Marketing is your publisher's concern, but talk over these concerns with the agent who has made you an offer - he's supposed to be on your side.