robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
...Obama makes stuff up.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/li...-obama-nominates-bernanke-for-second-term.php

Our recovery plan has put tax cuts in people's pockets, extended health care and unemployment insurance to those who have borne the brunt of this recession, and is continuing to save and create jobs that otherwise would have been lost. [my boldface]

Uh-huh:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/25/new...ployment_jobs.fortune/?postversion=2009082512

The economy's following a script for a jobless recovery, and unemployment is likely to stay high, if not get slightly worse.

The Congressional Budget Office painted a worsening picture for joblessness on Tuesday: The CBO sees unemployment peaking at 10.4% next year from an average of 9.3% this year, before it falls to 9.1% in 2011.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
why is obama doing this to me?

:(

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I guess he's also appointing Paul Krugman as the unofficial economic spinmeister for another term? :roll:He and Helicopter Ben get along so well, after all.

Andrew

Most of the rules gotta go...
Registered
Reaction score
Bernake as bad as he is pales to some of the subversive, hateful, desperately partison appointments he's made. Never seen anything like it, never thought I would.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Congressional Budget Office painted a worsening picture for joblessness on Tuesday: The CBO sees unemployment peaking at 10.4% next year from an average of 9.3% this year, before it falls to 9.1% in 2011.

I think I was hearing estimates about those general stats even before Obama took office.

But to keep it one hundred, rob, the part you bolded isn't necessarily refuted by the above stats. Obama said the recovery plan is keeping jobs that would've been lost, not ending or reversing the climb of unemployment. One could take that to mean unemployment might have peaked at 11.4% instead of 10.4% if not for the recovery plan. God knows I'm nobody's apologist if they don't share my last name, just saying though...

Last edited:

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting how the Bernanke story is overshadowing the $7-9 trillion projected deficit, which is HUGELY bad news for the white house, as it's drastically more than they've anticipated.

This morning I heard some commentators speculating that the timing of the Bernanke re-appointment announcement is extremely calculated in an effort to "backburner" the deficit announcement.

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
I think I was hearing estimates about those general stats even before Obama took office.

But to keep it one hundred, rob, the part you bolded isn't necessarily refuted by the above stats. Obama said the recovery plan is keeping jobs that would've been lost, not ending or reversing the climb of unemployment. One could take that to mean unemployment might have peaked at 11.4% instead of 10.4% if not for the recovery plan. God knows I'm nobody's apologist if they don't share my last name, just saying though...

But then why do the charts of what's happened look like this?
http://michaelscomments.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/stimulus-vs-unemployment-june-proj-dots.gif

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
God, you just can't win, can you?? Bernanke prevents a catastrophic meltdown and people are still griping and grumbling. It wasn't what I wanted, but at least he took a stand and followed through - the most important thing - and dragged us out of the mire.