Samoa changes driving side from right to left

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
The story's here.

Sometime in the early morning hours of Sept. 7, residents of this small Pacific island nation will stop their cars, take a deep breath, and do something most people would think is suicidal: Start driving on the other side of the road.

The main reason for Samoa's switch is that two of its biggest neighbors, Australia and New Zealand, drive on the left-hand side, whereas Samoa currently drives on the right, as in the U.S. By aligning with Australia and New Zealand, the prime minister says, it will be easier for poor Samoans to get cheap hand-me-down cars from the 170,000 or so Samoans who live in those two countries. It could also help more people escape tsunamis, says Mr. Tuilaepa.

Needless to say, I'm blown away. I can't imagine the number of accidents this is going to cause.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
"In the beginning it will be hard, but we'll learn -- we're not stupid," says Leau Apisaloma, a 54-year-old village chief who collects entrance fees from visitors at a beach an hour from Apia.

I don't think it is that much of a big deal either way. I have driven on the right or left, as required, on much busier road systems.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
haha I have this mental image of chaos-but really maybe it won't be so bad.
but as for economics, what about all the cars that are already right-side oriented?
and how will this help them escape tsunamis? does the wind always blow counter-clockwise there or something ? ;) (I know--more cars=more people get to escape--but it seems like silly reasoning.)

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I was driving on the left for the last few years and switched to the right recently when I migrated. The transition was not easy to make, especially when making turns. I didn't dare touch the driving wheel for two weeks.

Even now, after a month or so of driving on the right, I still get occasional confusion if there are no other vehicles in the vicinity. I know someone who was able to adapt in a matter of days.

I think it would vary from person to person. Some people may find it harder than others. Another key note is the value of vehicles. If the value of vehicles drops as dramatically as the article suggests, it's going to be pretty bad for the owners.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most the cheap cars in the area are Japan used car rejects, and those are set up for left side roads.

And having been in a situation where over 300 people per year are suddenly expected to drive on the left (American students going to St. Kitts), there's a few 'oh shits' but far less accidents.

Also, the rule of thumb is you and the steering wheel belong in the middleish of the road. Makes intersections a snap.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Did you see the film footage of when Scandinavia went from left to right many years ago. Technically perfect. Looked like ballet.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I moved to the U.K. for several years beginning in 1988. My first ride, as a passenger, in a car from Gatwick Airport in London, was among the most frightening things I've ever experienced in my life.

When, shortly thereafter, I drove for the first time, it was only slightly awkward, and after that, a simple matter. Really, it's not all that difficult to adjust.

Except maybe for people who can't drive worth a damn no matter which side of the road is the legal one. Which amounts to about 10% of drivers everywhere, at a minimum.

caw

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Okinawa made the switch some years ago with (I'm told) minimal issues. As I understand it, they closed all the roads for 24 hours, changed all the signs, etc., and when everything was reopened, they switched. I'm sure there were some accidents, etc., but from what I hear, it wasn't as bad as you might expect. And of course, now, everyone's used to it.

Now, when I get my Japanese license next week, THEN they might start worrying...

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
I would think it would be hard. you drive a certain way for 20 years and then they tell you nope on the other side, buddy.

I hope there are few accidents and that things go smoothly..or as smoothly as they can go.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I would think it would be hard. you drive a certain way for 20 years and then they tell you nope on the other side, buddy.

I hope there are few accidents and that things go smoothly..or as smoothly as they can go.

In that sense, it's no different than traveling to another country and suddenly having to switch. It's really NOT that difficult, especially when all the other cars are going that direction.

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
Unlike driving on the opposite side of the road in another country, I have a feeling driving on the other side of a familiar road, something you've been driving along for years, would do your head in. For a while, anyway. Familiar landmarks would be disorientating, and your elevated concentration levels could lead to anxiety, fatigue and mistakes. And then you'd have to factor in the pedestrians, who are used to looking for cars in the other direction. I wish them luck.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Every country that drives on the right does so because of a short Frenchman*. The British government have never done anything the French want, and weren't going to start there :D.

*so I've read. It may not be true.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In that sense, it's no different than traveling to another country and suddenly having to switch. It's really NOT that difficult, especially when all the other cars are going that direction.
It seems like this would be more difficult, at least at first. I assume they're not getting rid of all the current cars, so they're going to have cars with the driver's side on the left driving on the left of the road. I can see some sleepy-headed driver starting off in the morning and happily driving all the way to work on the right side of the road.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is failry easy in traffic. The main problem is forgetting on quiet stretches with no other cars. That is where American tourists in New Zealand run into trouble.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It is failry easy in traffic. The main problem is forgetting on quiet stretches with no other cars. That is where American tourists in New Zealand run into trouble.

And blame New Zealand for it, no doubt.

I remember in the early 90s there was a suggestion to change Australia's emergency number from 000 to 911, because it confused American tourists.

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score

Yeppers, we get that in open stretches of Oz, too. Plus a fair bit of trouble from "right-road" tourists jumping into rental cars from the airport and then negotiating roundabouts (traffic circles). I wouldn't want to encounter someone meandering off course through the mountainous regions of Samoa.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com

Street signs and such help, but yes, that can be confusing. It was certainly and adjustment for us when we moved to Japan, but in the last 10 months, I can think of only one time when my husband pulled into the wrong lane and started going the wrong way. (It was 3 am on a deserted road on base) He quickly remembered and corrected.

My dad said that for him, switching to the left (when he goes to England, for example) isn't too hard, but switching BACK when he returns is difficult. I guess because he has to concentrate so hard on driving on the left, then mistakenly expects driving on the right to be as easy and habitual as it was before. Always interesting when he comes back from Europe. lol

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
A wonderful man I knew was killed by a woman just from the UK because of this :( It was late at night, and she and he were the only ones out, at an intersection.

When I was in the UK & ROI, it took me a while to get used to it. I didn't dare drive. But I'm freaky about things that involve changing physical ways of doing things. Change a well-known dance step and I do the former, too.

I think people vary wildly on how easy this'll be. Good luck to them!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A possibly tougher transition is for pedestrians crossing streets. In London there are signs in the street or sidewalk ("pavement" for the Brits") telling people which direction to look for oncoming traffic. Mesuspects for good reason.

caw