Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 80 of 100 FirstFirst ... 53055707475767778798081828384858690 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 2486

Thread: All Things Middle Grade

practical experience, FTW MsJudy's Avatar
    Nope, short is good for MG. Though I have heard a few agents say less than 30K is too short for MG these days... but I don't think there's a consensus on that.
    represented by Jenny Bent of the Bent Agency. Most happy.

After flipping through a few books I have (Some Roald Dahl, Babysitter's Club and Nancy Drew) it seems they do a good job of adding pictures every few pages. My guess is they budget size space for that, of course I'm new to the MG world so I could be wrong.

Flipping through these sure brings back some good memories. As a kid its so magical to find a book/series you love. For many kids books are the first possessions they get that they really hang onto for life. They're so much more important than a toy.

*feels all nostalgic*

Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    After flipping through a few books I have (Some Roald Dahl, Babysitter's Club and Nancy Drew) it seems they do a good job of adding pictures every few pages. My guess is they budget size space for that, of course I'm new to the MG world so I could be wrong.

Flipping through these sure brings back some good memories. As a kid its so magical to find a book/series you love. For many kids books are the first possessions they get that they really hang onto for life. They're so much more important than a toy.

*feels all nostalgic*
    None of those books are current (though they're still fun to read, of course!). If you're new to the MG world, to get a feel for what the MG world and market is really like, you'll want to read current MG.

And what could be more fun than reading lots and lots of MG books? I love doing 'research' as a writer.
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

I've read the Wimpy Kid books and have looked over several other popular ones. I worked at Barnes and Noble as a manager for a while, so I mostly skimmed to help parents figure out ideas for their kids, but its been about a year now.

Any recommendations?

The kidlit recommendation thread is a good place to start. It sounds like you may be more interested in chapter books than MG? Books aimed at younger kids that often include pictures? If that's what you're looking for, I'd recommend the Clementine, Judy Moody, Stink, and Ivy and Bean books. Those are my favorites at the moment.
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas DavidBrett's Avatar
    My MG paranormal mystery is four pages long.

Well... The outline is. From the look of it the full MS should fit the ideal word length.
    Mr Stuffenfluff - My FIRST attempt at horror for over a decade. Feedback welcome!

Authors warn me writing children's books is a lot of work - signings, school events, literary festivals, a blog, etc. I always reply "I WANT THAT!"

I don't claim to be a professional (yet). I just try and help others when and where I can.

Follow me @symplesymon

Go, Dave, go!

W00t! Looks like I has me a cheering squad. Of ONE!
    Mr Stuffenfluff - My FIRST attempt at horror for over a decade. Feedback welcome!

Authors warn me writing children's books is a lot of work - signings, school events, literary festivals, a blog, etc. I always reply "I WANT THAT!"

I don't claim to be a professional (yet). I just try and help others when and where I can.

Follow me @symplesymon

practical experience, FTW sissybaby's Avatar
    Oh, no, David. We're all cheering for you. I just wasn't going to say anything until you got your shorts back.

yep, we're all cheering. Especially now that you are Hello Kitty Cookie Monster!

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God timp67's Avatar
    Go, David!
    Blog: Reader. Writer. Boredom fighter!
    Twitter
    Robots have a favorite book

THE BOY WHO HOWLED
    from Bloomsbury USA Children's Books

practical experience, FTW SheilaJG's Avatar
    Go David!
    something

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
    Twitter

Thanks, guys!

Follow me @symplesymon

You guys are all awesome.

Recovering adjective addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBrett View Post
    My MG paranormal mystery is four pages long.

Well... The outline is. From the look of it the full MS should fit the ideal word length.
    A four-page outline is a great start! It's four pages more than you had before, right?

Quote Originally Posted by wampuscat View Post
    A four-page outline is a great start! It's four pages more than you had before, right?
    True dat. Plus, with the book roughly plotted, hopefully the narrative won't stumble after five chapters. Fingers crossed!

Follow me @symplesymon

I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsJudy View Post
    Nope, short is good for MG. Though I have heard a few agents say less than 30K is too short for MG these days... but I don't think there's a consensus on that.
    Mine are right around 30K if that helps Any shorter & I couldn't get imprint on the spine of the book. That's a goal to hit for me!

I keep trying to make my way back over here & it never happens I thought of you guys right away though. There are a lot of groups on facebook for promoting romance novels but I couldn't find one for MG. I started one up hoping to have a place for MG writers to come share their books, blogs, reviews, etc. It's new & I'm lonely! Come drop your book (or books you love) & spread the word! I'd like to see this start getting going & help promote other MG authors.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/424451804238916/

Thanks for popping in, auntybug! Be sure to post a link to your blog in the stickied Kidlit Blog thread.

auntybug, while you're in the neighborhood, you should stop by the self-published thread we have going. You've got experience with that, am I right? Or is yours small press? Either way, you could probably share some good insights with the folks who were asking questions about it.

Quote Originally Posted by auntybug View Post
    No experience with self-pubbing. Sorry. I have smaller presses with everything. I'm really happy where I'm at & am no longer pursuing the agent route. You guys are mistaking me for someone with any wisdom. I obviously need to hang our here more.
    Don't be so modest! Your experience would be great to share. A lot of folks who try the agent route and don't make much progress jump right to self-pubbing, not realizing there are small-press alternatives that would provide them with some professional support. If you're happy with what you're doing, I'm sure they would love to hear about it.

practical experience, FTW
    I'm excited that I made some progress with my MG rewrite this week. I now have about 56 versions of this book, but this week seemed to find the voice for a boy MC.

It's necessitating a lot of changes, but so far, I think it's working. There's a long way to go, but I'm excited to be making some progress.

It's fascinating how many expressions a girl can use, but when they are in the mouth of a boy, they just don't work. And the word count is going down, down, down.

Eg:

Girl: This is so utterly mortifying! How could this happen to me? What did I do to deserve this sort of humiliation?

Boy version (in exact same situation): Bummer.

See what I mean? I just cut 20 words.

Quote Originally Posted by Britwriter View Post
    I'm excited that I made some progress with my MG rewrite this week. I now have about 56 versions of this book, but this week seemed to find the voice for a boy MC.

Eg:

Girl: This is so utterly mortifying! How could this happen to me? What did I do to deserve this sort of humiliation?

Boy version (in exact same situation): Bummer.

See what I mean? I just cut 20 words.

If you added in stomping around and door slamming, you might be able to get some words back. Physical reactions instead of lots of words are pretty typical of some boys, plus you know there is internal dialogue/thoughts happening.

practical experience, FTW sissybaby's Avatar
    Hi, all,

I just wanted to pop in and say that I am featuring our very own Sage on my blog today. Her YA book, Love Sucks, comes out today. I know this isn't the YA forum, but she spends lots of time over here, too.

Thanks. And if I'm not supposed to do this here, I hope a mod will tell me and delete this post. I'm truly not trying to overstep boundaries.

http://cordeliadinsmore.blogspot.com...ove-sucks.html

It's fine, sissy! You and Sage are both beloved kidlit gang members.

practical experience, FTW SheilaJG's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing, sissybaby. And congrats on the book release, Sage! That's super exciting!

something

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
    Twitter

Page 80 of 100 FirstFirst ... 53055707475767778798081828384858690 ... LastLast