All Things Middle Grade

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, canette, that's wonderful news! Congratulations. I'm so glad you found helpful info here. Good luck on the submission process!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, canette! :TheWave:

Hope to see you around AW. It's a great place to spend time. :)

b_radom

Calculating the odds
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is a great thread! I have an MG science fiction novel for boys that’s 38k and caters to short attention spans by containing 17 different time periods, roughly spending a chapter in each for most of them, with a new conflict between the good characters and the villains in each.

On a related topic, what does everyone think of an MG book with a kid-friendly adult as the MC?
I couldn’t possibly turn it into a novel for adults, which is what I used to write. The content and tone are pure middle grade. It’s about adults whose jobs are what a lot of kids would want to do when they grow up -- they work at a company that makes action figures -- and when I tried to make the MC a kid, I lost a lot of the humor. The title character wasn’t funny anymore, he was just boring and bad with kids.
Aside from Superman and Batman and other comic book heroes, does anyone know of any books for young people that have adult MCs? Would it even be MG, or is there another genre for it that I don’t know about?

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
It seems like it's been a while since we had a round of What's Everyone Working On? (Right? Or did I miss it?)

I always find this interesting.

I'm working on revisions of a middle grade novel that's mostly adventure, with a touch of history & mystery and a smidge of magic. (That's a genre, right?) I'm hoping to be query-ready around the beginning of April, but we'll see.

I'm also working on my goofy ghostwriting gig, pounding out 1000 words/day of totally wacky, talking-animal middle grade fiction. I'm having fun, even if it's something I'd never write on my own. Maybe because it's something I'd never write on my own.

So ... what are you working on?

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a MG faery book and letting the first draft of my very first novel rest a while before I start revisions. The first chapter of each is in SYW.

Ghost writing, that sounds interesting. Do you like it?

My son would love a history/mystery/magic book.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like it's been a while since we had a round of What's Everyone Working On? (Right? Or did I miss it?)

I always find this interesting.

I'm working on revisions of a middle grade novel that's mostly adventure, with a touch of history & mystery and a smidge of magic. (That's a genre, right?) I'm hoping to be query-ready around the beginning of April, but we'll see.

I'm also working on my goofy ghostwriting gig, pounding out 1000 words/day of totally wacky, talking-animal middle grade fiction. I'm having fun, even if it's something I'd never write on my own. Maybe because it's something I'd never write on my own.

So ... what are you working on?

Your ghostwriting gig sounds fun!

I've been lurking around the Kids forum for a while, so I'm going to take this opportunity to say hi. I just finished the first draft of a YA light SF romance-type thing last week, so I pulled out a MG fantasy adventure that I worked on last summer. At the time, I was too close to it to make any progress. I'm hoping I've gained some distance and perspective so maybe I can revise.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you came out of Lurkdom, wampuscat. :hi:

I'm working on a contemporary MG novel. Sort of. Very slowly.

DoctorK

I'm not a Dr., I'm a baseball fan.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
PagesOfWords.blogspot.com
I just finished the first act of my WIP, which is a contemporary mystery/thriller, about a 9th grade boy who learns his grandfather had been a spy decades before. The boy and his female friend try to figure out who killed the grandfather but find themselves hunted by federal agents. They team up with the grandfather's long-retired protege and ultimately travel to Washington, DC to unravel the conspiracy, which appears to involve a congressman who is a leading presidential candidate.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
hello again, wampuscat. (I love that name)

I'm still not finished with my foster kid story - it's ridiculous how I keep procrastinating. It's almost like I don't want to finish it, because that way I don't have to admit that it sucks, or something. I need someone to kick me in the butt or something, I guess, so that I'll make myself finish it.

Oh, and I'm finally editing. I haven't decided if I like editing yet or not. usually I edit as I go, so this is kind of new territory for me.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a rewrite of my MG novel for an agent. I'm experimenting with telling the story from two characters' pov, one boy, one girl, alternating chapters. The original was all girl pov.

It's interesting work, and I'm not sure where it's headed. I still absolutely love the original version, and am waiting to fall equally in love with this revision as I work. In order for that to happen, I really need to find the boy's voice. The girl was easy, but the boy is a challenge. Not least because the girl is so wonderfully verbal and fabulously snarky. A boy just can't say the stuff that a girl says, or make the same observations. When I rewrite a chapter from his pov, it is often less than half the word count!

I'd love recommendations of older MG, or YA, boy protagonist contemporary fiction to read. I have the plot, I have the character. Now I just need to find a stronger voice to tell the same story from boy perspective, in boy language. I feel like I get it, then lose it, then get it again, then lose it. This is far harder than writing the book in the first place!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Britwriter, that's interesting. first time I've heard of an agent asking for alternating POVs--usually I've heard the opposite, Drop the extra POV and stick with a single character.

I'm working on my gothic victorian fantasy--think Jane Eyre with magic. Young maid who isn't quite human has to break the family curse and prevent a murder. Tommyknockers are involved.

I'm averaging 3K a week, which is sort of amazing considering I work full time and have kids. Fingers crossed that this time the plot is compelling enough, 'cause I have several agents who've asked to see my next book... Knowing they're waiting has certainly been a great motivator to sit down and write!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I'd love recommendations of older MG, or YA, boy protagonist contemporary fiction to read. I have the plot, I have the character. Now I just need to find a stronger voice to tell the same story from boy perspective, in boy language. I feel like I get it, then lose it, then get it again, then lose it. This is far harder than writing the book in the first place!

The Lemonade War comes to mind - it's alternating boy + girl middle grade contemporary. I know a lot of people around here are big fans of Jerry Spinelli and Andrew Clements, who both do a lot of boy contemporary. John Green does amazing YA boy-contemporary.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score

Cosmic, by Frank Cottrell Boyce, is told in first person boy POV.

Judy, that sounds very intriguing. I'm in a reading phase right now, not writing much. Your 3k a week makes me feel like such a slacker!

I have an idea for a new story - well, I have a character and a problem, but I don't know where I should plop her down. I can't figure if it's historical, or speculative, or fantasy. It's funny, because I usually get my settings first. I have that movie announcer voice in my head all the time - "in a world where . . . "

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
The Lemonade War comes to mind - it's alternating boy + girl middle grade contemporary. I know a lot of people around here are big fans of Jerry Spinelli and Andrew Clements, who both do a lot of boy contemporary. John Green does amazing YA boy-contemporary.

Thank you! I need to immerse myself in reading boy contemporary for a while.

It is definitely true that I am learning more as a writer from this rewriting than from writing the original. I'm really not sure where this is heading, but it's a great challenge.

I'm also realizing that I need to immerse myself in reworking the boy chapters and not switch from one to the other. The moment I start thinking girl, I lose the boy voice. I need to leave the girl chapters alone for a while, then come back to them later.

Off to amazon now to download some books - thanks so much for the recommendations. :)

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'm totally a Jerry Spinelli fangirl. :Thumbs: Many of Gennifer Choldenko's books have boy protags. Also check out Louis Sachar's books, as well as Carl Hiaasen's books.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still working on my NaNoWriMo 2011 fantasy novel, about a boy and a girl and their magical squid running away from pirates across the multiverse, trying to return themselves to their respective universes. I've not been writing as much as I like, but today I worked on it a while.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on my gothic victorian fantasy--think Jane Eyre with magic.

That sounds fun! I've totally been on a Bronte kick lately. Okay For Now inspired me to reread Jane Eyre, and now I've moved on to Wuthering Heights.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score

I'm still not finished with my foster kid story - it's ridiculous how I keep procrastinating. It's almost like I don't want to finish it, because that way I don't have to admit that it sucks, or something. I need someone to kick me in the butt or something, I guess, so that I'll make myself finish it.

Oh, and I'm finally editing. I haven't decided if I like editing yet or not. usually I edit as I go, so this is kind of new territory for me.

Can this be considered a kick in the butt? :poke:You know I want to read more. It doesn't suck!!

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks!

I completely understand your procrastination. I've been pushing off revising my MG story because I love, love, love the premise but am not convinced the story itself is good. This is odd because I usually love editing and revising, mostly because I often write my first drafts whirlwind-style (as fast as I possibly can).

monkeymum

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to convince myself my plot isn't totally ludicrous/unsuitable/disjointed *sigh* My first draft is done, so now I'm editing, and although I'm enjoying this stage I've got this constant voice in my head telling me 1st novels usually get trunked. But I'm determined to see it through to the bitter end, because I won't know if it's any good unless I complete it and I want a clean slate before I have a go at another one :e2hammer:

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Even if first novels often get trunked, you still learn the most from completing, rewriting, and rewriting again. Or at least, that's always been my experience. ;) And you might be pleasantly surprised by how it turns out once you have done all the editing and reworking over time!

monkeymum

Registered
Reaction score
Even if first novels often get trunked, you still learn the most from completing, rewriting, and rewriting again. Or at least, that's always been my experience.

So true. I keep coming across some real cringeworthy stuff that I can't believe I wrote. Though it's not all bad of course....:rolleyes

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
So true. I keep coming across some real cringeworthy stuff that I can't believe I wrote. Though it's not all bad of course....:rolleyes

Sometimes, also, you can come back to something later and see something different, that you missed at the time.

My current MG was something I started a long while ago. My daughter then found the drafts on my computer when she was looking for something else. She begged me to finish it, and I did it for that reason. Now I feel it is one of the best things I've ever written. It was so much better for having been left for a while.

I have many projects that I start, stop, come back to, forget again, then eventually finish, before rewriting again. Often, the learning comes not in the original writing, but in the struggle to finish something and then rework it. That's how you really hone your skills as a writer.