All Things Middle Grade

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
I remember this thread. I posted somewhere above that I was giving up writing MG and never looking back. Funny how things change.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Timp. Never seen this thread until this morning and I have a few MG ideas brewing. Now, to figure out how to write them.

This is probably a silly question, but I have been writing YA and I've tried to keep the dialogue and descriptions 50/50. I assume in MG, there's a lot more dialogue and simpler dialogue tags, but I'm not entirely sure. He said, she said, he walked to the door etc. Any ides?

MG isn't just simpler. Go get a stack of MG novels at the library and read them! If you need some recs, the "Talk about the kidlit you're reading" thread has HUNDREDS of suggestions of good ones.

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
I think just "he/she said" is always best (instead of "he exclaimed" or "she declared"), unless there's an especially dramatic reason. :)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Timp. Never seen this thread until this morning and I have a few MG ideas brewing. Now, to figure out how to write them.

This is probably a silly question, but I have been writing YA and I've tried to keep the dialogue and descriptions 50/50. I assume in MG, there's a lot more dialogue and simpler dialogue tags, but I'm not entirely sure. He said, she said, he walked to the door etc. Any ides?

Not necessarily. MG fits a huge range, from very simply written stories to complex prose almost as dense as writing for adults.

It's not safe to assume anything about MG. You'll just need to check out about 100 MG titles and read them to get a sense of the styles.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I think just "he/she said" is always best (instead of "he exclaimed" or "she declared"), unless there's an especially dramatic reason. :)

But that's true of YA or adult writing, too.

Chapter books do a LOT of dialogue, and the character speaking is almost always identified. (He said, she said, he said, she said, no assuming the reader will figure out it's his turn next.)

But in MG, the rules are the same as for YA/adult: use "said" when you need to, or show the character's action instead.

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Good to know! I honestly haven't read ANY chapter books.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh thanks for the clarification. I do have some MG books and so I'll take a look at those. I didn't mean simpler as in easier to write. Just the language can be different from YA depending on the targeted age.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good to know! I honestly haven't read ANY chapter books.

Oh, but you should! They are tons of fun and you can read them in an hour. :D

Pick up any Judy Moody or Clementine book. They're my current faves. :)

:)Smish

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh thanks for the clarification. I do have some MG books and so I'll take a look at those. I didn't mean simpler as in easier to write. Just the language can be different from YA depending on the targeted age.

I don't really see it as simpler language. I think of it as clearer language :D

And now I will give you the best kidlit quote EVAR:

You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.
-Madeleine L'Engle

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, but you should! They are tons of fun and you can read them in an hour. :D

Pick up any Judy Moody or Clementine book. They're my current faves. :)

:)Smish

I'm huntin' them down! Thanks, Smish. :)

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
I am reading the Frog and Toad chapter books with my son, he is five and he LOVES them.
Tomi DePaola's books are great too.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't use Frog and Toad as a role model for how to write a chapter book and get it published these days, though. Kids love those books, but most of what I see published recently is written more like a really, really short novel than like a series of short stories. And Lobel's style is very dry. It's hard to write that way, and I'm not sure a debut book written that simply would have much like finding an agent. Clementine, Horrible Harry, Junie B. Jones and the Zack Files are better examples of current chapter book series that do really well.

My absolute favorite CB series, though, is Kate McMullan's Dragon-Slayer's Academy. They're hilarious.

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Re. Judy Moody:

Love, love, LOVE the illustrations. Love the rhyming names ... Judy Moody, Amy Namey. Love Judy's friends Rocky and Frank. Love the name of the school ... Virginia Dare. Most of all, I love Judy's character ... strong-willed, intelligent, thoughtful ... and moody. :) So great! And the stories (from what I've seen) are HILARIOUS. Big thumbs up!

Caveat: I've just read First Pages on Amazon. I've ordered Book One so I can see how a CB plays out. THERE ARE SO MANY BOOKS IN THIS SERIES!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Re. Judy Moody:

Love, love, LOVE the illustrations. Love the rhyming names ... Judy Moody, Amy Namey. Love Judy's friends Rocky and Frank. Love the name of the school ... Virginia Dare. Most of all, I love Judy's character ... strong-willed, intelligent, thoughtful ... and moody. :) So great! And the stories (from what I've seen) are HILARIOUS. Big thumbs up!

Caveat: I've just read First Pages on Amazon. I've ordered Book One so I can see how a CB plays out. THERE ARE SO MANY BOOKS IN THIS SERIES!

Told you so. :D CBs are great.

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
Got a very helpful critique on my MG from my writers group this week. They can be so inspiring!! Back to work! :)

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still working on finishing my wip, the first draft is almost complete.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Alanna, which writer's group do you use? I have a few beta readers lined up, but I'm curious ;)