All Things Middle Grade

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
You mean GNAW on a marshmallow. The ones in the cupboard are ANCIENT! :)

somewhere around here i have a couple of marshmallow guns... they shoot the little marshmallows. with stale ones, they could be lethal...?

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Ha ha, Smish! FINALLY SOME CUPCAKES! :)

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Timp, that is so awesome! Do you prefer chocolate or vanilla cupcakes? Frosted or plain? I'll bake up a couple dozen just for you!

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I thought there was a thread about cursing in MG a while back, but I can't find it, so I thought I would post something interesting here. I've now had three school librarians actually thank me for not having any curse words in my book. It surprised me because I didn't think there were actually that many MGs with cursing, and because I didn't realize it was quite such a sensitive topic. I just wanted to post about it because if anyone is writing a manuscript where they are debating about whether to include cursing or not, that info. might help.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought there was a thread about cursing in MG a while back, but I can't find it, so I thought I would post something interesting here. I've now had three school librarians actually thank me for not having any curse words in my book. It surprised me because I didn't think there were actually that many MGs with cursing, and because I didn't realize it was quite such a sensitive topic. I just wanted to post about it because if anyone is writing a manuscript where they are debating about whether to include cursing or not, that info. might help.

Good to know! :)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hehe. I usually just say "He whispered all the bad words he knew" or something and that way everyone's imagination can go wild, more so than if you attempt a kiddy swear like 'crap' :D

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
I have NEVER seen a curse word in MG! Has anyone else here? Amarie, have you? Maybe a "hell"? I've heard of some objections to kids saying things like "Oh my God" but that's about it.

And JudScotKev ... not "show-off". "Show and TELL." :)

clare

Registered
Reaction score
I just crossed the last thing off my long "to-do" list of changes and add-ins to my MS and now I can say the third draft is DONE. Are there any cupcakes left?

I'm still waiting on two readers to get back to me with feedback before I'll go through it again, but still, I'm happy with the changes I've made.

By the way, I have a character who says, "oh my God, oh my God, oh my God..." Its kind of upper-MG, and the girl is really panicky. Do you think I should worry about changing it?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I have NEVER seen a curse word in MG! Has anyone else here? Amarie, have you? Maybe a "hell"? I've heard of some objections to kids saying things like "Oh my God" but that's about it.

And JudScotKev ... not "show-off". "Show and TELL." :)

Tim, I had to do some searching to come up with examples. Maybe other people can weigh in. Apparently, The Mysterious Edge of the Heroic World by E.L. Konisburg (Mixed up Filed of Mrs. Basil etc.) has some swear words in it. I need to ask my daughter when she comes home from school about other books because I know they read something in class where they were supposed to skip over any swear words when they were reading aloud.

Part of the issue may be with books that are really YA being used as lit for lower grades. I know My Brother Sam is Dead is sometimes used in 6th grade classes. It has swearing in it, and is listed as YA.

By the way, I have a character who says, "oh my God, oh my God, oh my God..." Its kind of upper-MG, and the girl is really panicky. Do you think I should worry about changing it?

This is an issue with some readers. There is a really funny series my daughter loves for early middle grade, but the characters do say 'My God', and I've noticed the series is not carried in the big chains even though the author has written other successful books. I'll rep you if you want to know the name of it.