All Things Middle Grade

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Um, timp, have you been checking the news lately? There ain't no sun in California right now.

How do you feel about mud?

Maybe you should stay in Dublin a little longer. I know I'd be tempted...

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I may need to post in the Beta forum and see if I can get someone to read further in Calvin's story. I haven't added piles to it but a little progress has been made.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Well dang! My boy Calvin is hot on the trail of a SERIAL KILLER.

I posted in the "Is this to dark for MG" but seriously am I wasting my time? I mean the manuscript isn't getting any perkier. Not that I work on a lot, I'm working on an adult novel right now, but when I get stuck on that I turn to Calvin (but I'm running out of outline on that and don't know what to do next)

But really, does anyone know for sure?

Actually, I might be different than the majority of writers, but I make a very detailed plan of everything that happens in my manuscript from start to finish. That doesn't mean that things don't change as I write, sometimes characters and events have minds of their own, but I don't think I could write a story if I didn't know where it was going. On the other hand, I imagine the whole thing in my head many times before I even write a word. But this is just me and it sounds like many others write differently.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
I am reading my manuscript on hard copy for the first time. My, what an eye-opener! I am glad I did not send it out to agents without taking this step.

I agree. I also read aloud as someone else suggested. Both help me to get a real handle on where the book stands.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
I am preparing the courage and thick skin needed to post something in SYW. I have read all the informative threads and posts, but I'm looking for a quick opinion. I would like to post my first chapter, but it is 4800 words. I understand the 1000 - 2500 word target, but I am concerned that only half the chapter won't make sense. At the same time I don't want to be imposing on others. Should I post the whole chapter and rsik boring everyone, or just go with the first 1000-2500 and hope the writing is good enough to hold interest? Thanks for any ideas. I'm posting this in another thread as well to maximize opinion input.

Holiztic

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, new here, new to officially writing (whatever that means!) I never thought I'd start my writing career with a middle grade novel, but I am so loving my story, and coming to love my characters.

I have one question now, and million more to come I'm sure.

I am writing a story with four characters: a boy, his parents, and a villain. They are separated throughout most of the novel (with the parents together). Right now I am writing alternating chapters from boy (who is essentially alone) to parents and back again, scene or time changes within chapters if characters continue, but always a chapter break when switching from parents to boy and vice-versa (same will happen when I get to the villain, who makes a short introduction in the opening and then goes off).

So I guess I have two questions now:

1) At times I want to show what's going on with the boy, but really can't do much at that time without dragging on--assuming I want to keep boy and parents' stories concurrent, which I do--can I have a 2 paragraph chapter (once or twice?) Most of my chapters (more likely to grow than shrink in revisions) are around 1000 words.

2) Can I play with POV a little, if I keep it consistent within each character grouping? So I tell the parents' story in 3rd omniscient, the boy in 3rd limited, and the villain possibly also in 3rd limited. I could go omniscient on all, but I think I'd like more of the boy's internal experience. Then again, isn't it still technically omniscient if I do 3rd limited and he's the only person in those scenes? I don't want to do limited with the parents, as I don't want one to be more important than the other. My omniscience with them right now is pretty distant, mostly has a camera-view feel to it. So can I do a close-up omniscient with boy/villain and a distant "camera-view" with the parents? (I know I can, but I mean should I?)

Thanks all, I am so happy to have a place to ask these questions! My computer programmer (with an English degree) husband is tired of me asking him this kind of thing!

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
I am preparing the courage and thick skin needed to post something in SYW. I have read all the informative threads and posts, but I'm looking for a quick opinion. I would like to post my first chapter, but it is 4800 words. I understand the 1000 - 2500 word target, but I am concerned that only half the chapter won't make sense. At the same time I don't want to be imposing on others. Should I post the whole chapter and rsik boring everyone, or just go with the first 1000-2500 and hope the writing is good enough to hold interest? Thanks for any ideas. I'm posting this in another thread as well to maximize opinion input.

Hi jtrylch13,
I'll read it...on Monday, once the kids are back in school!

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Hi jtrylch13,
I'll read it...on Monday, once the kids are back in school!

Thanks Spiral. I hope I won't disappoint. My kids go back on Monday too. I'll lose my reason to procrastinate though. I can't possibly write/shop agents/write synopsis/brainstorm while my babies are home all day!

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Holiztic!

IMO you can do ANYTHING with your book, if you are sufficiently guided by your head and your heart. It's YOUR story. Most would advise you to follow the more traditional storytelling forms before you break the rules, but I think if your vision is strong enough, it will conquer all. I'm a romantic that way. :)

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Spiral. I hope I won't disappoint. My kids go back on Monday too. I'll lose my reason to procrastinate though. I can't possibly write/shop agents/write synopsis/brainstorm while my babies are home all day!

Me too. :) Hopefully that will be a good thing!

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
So can I do a close-up omniscient with boy/villain and a distant "camera-view" with the parents? (I know I can, but I mean should I?)

Hi Holiztic, have you read The Time Thief by Linda Buckley-Archer? The chapters are set up in a similar way, going back and forth between the children and the parents.

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Claredurina,

Thanks fort he vote of confidence. It makes my heart swell to see such support from everyone, though, like I said, I really hope I don't disappoint. More importantly, I could use some good, strong advice. No hand-holding in Mamby-pamby Land, please. Give it to me straight!

Holiztic

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Holiztic, have you read The Time Thief by Linda Buckley-Archer? The chapters are set up in a similar way, going back and forth between the children and the parents.

No I haven't, but thank you--on my library list now!

Holiztic

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Holiztic!

IMO you can do ANYTHING with your book, if you are sufficiently guided by your head and your heart. It's YOUR story. Most would advise you to follow the more traditional storytelling forms before you break the rules, but I think if your vision is strong enough, it will conquer all. I'm a romantic that way. :)

Thanks! I have a feeling I won't tie up this decision until first (or fifth!) revision, but I'm going to continue writing in the POV(s) that seems most natural.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Chapters can be pretty much any length you want them to be. From one word, one line, all the way up to the entire book.

Of course you can also switch POV with scene breaks, which I've seen often.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:Now we know what you were like as a child.;)

Well, it's just that I promised you'd make 6 dozen cupcakes. :D

Actually, round our house, I'm the one being told how many baked goods to prepare at the last minute for various events. And I don't even have kids yet!