All Things Middle Grade

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I am starting to get sort of nervous about it, though I don't know why. Perhaps because it's so REAL. :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I am starting to get sort of nervous about it, though I don't know why. Perhaps because it's so REAL. :)

One more day, right? So excited for you! We'll have to have an AW party tomorrow in the kidlit section in your honor. Be prepared for lots of cupcakes and brownies and milkshakes. :D

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the party, Smish! "Ahh-whhhooooooooo!" :)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*sets out an assortment of milkshakes, cupcakes, and doggy biscuits*

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Virtual cookies ARE almost as good as the real thing, strangely. I am easily influenced! :)

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say that I am writing a MG and I am stuck. Everything was pouring out onto the pages nicely until ...dundundun... my brain froze. I just simply can't figure out a way to pull everything together. The climax is kicking my butt. Maybe I need to put it down and walk away for a few days, I don't know. How do you all deal with this? I can't be the only one this is happening to. Its just not possible.

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
You just need to recharge your batteries, Alanna B.! Don't stress (hard as it is)! It happens to EVERY writer. Give yourself time and mull things over. Try not to be discouraged. There is a SOLUTION to ANY PROBLEM ... er, 97% of the time. :)

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Timp...*plugs in battery charger and steps away from the dastardly ms.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
You might try just sitting down and writing about the problem. Not trying to solve the problem. Just taking notes on what might be going on, why it might not be working.

That's what I do, anyway. I have a sort of a journal where I just ask myself questions and list brainstorm ideas and explain to myself why a character wouldn't be doing what I've just had them do... I write it all down, and usually a day or two later the solution pops into my head.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to AW, and still a little shy...but hi everyone.:) I write and read (and read, and read) MG. I was very excited to discover this thread!

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! And thanks for the cookies JudScotKev:) I have a question for you guys. Does anyone know of any books that deal with time travel where there is a language barrier? I spent the morning at Chapters and had two of the lovely sales people trying to help me, but no luck!

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! And thanks for the cookies JudScotKev:) I have a question for you guys. Does anyone know of any books that deal with time travel where there is a language barrier? I spent the morning at Chapters and had two of the lovely sales people trying to help me, but no luck!

I can't think of any Middle Grade books, but some other books do. In Lest Darkness Fall, the main character goes back to ancient Rome. Luckily, he already speaks Latin.

MaryL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marylindsey.com
Hey there. I'm two days off of finishing my very first MG. Such a delight after revising my YA for so long. It's finally through copyedits and off to the art department so I can focus on my poor, neglected MG. Such fun. Looking forward to getting to know some AW folks.

Mary

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there. I'm two days off of finishing my very first MG. Such a delight after revising my YA for so long. It's finally through copyedits and off to the art department so I can focus on my poor, neglected MG. Such fun. Looking forward to getting to know some AW folks.

Mary

Congrats on getting through edits MaryL! Its certainly a tough process. I am trying my hand at MG as well (trying is the key word here). I'm loving it(when I'm not pulling my hair out). Good luck with your MS, and welcome! :)
*snatches a cupcake from the corner table..mmmm who made this frosting? Jud?

Last edited:

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of any Middle Grade books, but some other books do. In Lest Darkness Fall, the main character goes back to ancient Rome. Luckily, he already speaks Latin.

Thanks Ferret. :)