All Things Middle Grade

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is pretty cool. Maybe I should start doing the prompts...

The novel MsJudy is querying now also began with a prompt, if I'm not mistaken. The prompts can be great sources of inspiration. And they're just lots of fun. :D

Good luck, Sheila! You know how much I love those little minions.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
The novel MsJudy is querying now also began with a prompt, if I'm not mistaken. The prompts can be great sources of inspiration.

Yep, that's right. The very first one, in fact. I feel a bit guilty, never participating in another one since then, but once the idea came to me, the book just sort of took over. And now I'm working on another one in the same vein only more Gothic and creepy, plus I have a sequel planned if that should be desired...

So, yeah. Dive into a prompt or two. You never know where it will lead!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The short story I have subbed to the SFF Anthology started out as a flash fiction prompt, but you'd never know from the original prompt how I got there, since along the way, there were two different novels involved ;)

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I interviewed 47 4th-6th graders last week about the kinds of books they liked to read and about ebooks. I did a long post on the Project Mayhem blog, but I wanted to post a couple of things here I found interesting. Twenty-seven of forty-seven kids had read a book on an ereader, and seven of them had their own. Now this is an affluent school, but the numbers still surprised me. Also, I was pleasantly surprised that boys indicated they liked mysteries and historicals as some of their top choices. That wasn't what I expected.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Those numbers surprise me too, but it's kinda cool, I think.

Nikki

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nikkiloftin.com
Amarie - great post! I love hearing what kids are interested in reading. Re: e-readers -- I have two boys, and my eldest is an avid reader. He started reading Tera Lynn Child's FINS series, and complained about the girly cover since he couldn't take it to school w/o social fallout. I think e-readers, once they become more affordable, will be an ideal tool to allow kids to read more widely, esp. for boys (with the preponderance of pink covers in YA and MG).

Off to write a few hundred more words. I just figured out I have 9 weeks before Xmas vacation for the kids. 9 weeks to finish Draft One of the WIP. Eek!

elissacruz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fromthemixedupfiles.com
So, that 7k word war I was supposed to be having with Nikki has officially been forfeited, thanks to the lovely gift of a sinus infection someone on this earth decided to share with me.

Brain. Is. Not. Working.

But I'm nearly better now. So that's the good news.

Kelkelen

Writer-In-Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annecat.deviantart.com
Re: e-readers -- I have two boys, and my eldest is an avid reader. He started reading Tera Lynn Child's FINS series, and complained about the girly cover since he couldn't take it to school w/o social fallout. I think e-readers, once they become more affordable, will be an ideal tool to allow kids to read more widely, esp. for boys (with the preponderance of pink covers in YA and MG).

That's such a cool idea! I mean, I never really thought about that... I wonder, in fact, if the reader demographics will change once people can't see what you're reading. It's almost a throwback; if you think about it, books were originally bound in plain covers, so no one could glance over at you and say, "hey, that books for girls!"

Here in Madrid, I see people with e-readers ALL the time on the metro. What with all the commuting, it's a really great invention. (Not that I'm willing to give up my bound books, but hey, different strokes.)

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
another pro of e-readers for kids is that the font size can be changed, and having a larger font can be helpful for younger readers.

we still read aloud to our daughter, and NO idea why, but for a few books that we have in e-reader and traditional formats, she prefers us to read on the e-reader. the Kindle is supposed to be mine, but i can definitely forsee (especially as they drop and drop in price) getting another one for sharing among our household (and we are so low-tech we don't even have cell phones).

loritayseastep

Long live MG!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loritayseastep.wordpress.com
Can any of you help out an AW newbie? Where's the best place to find MG critique partners/beta readers? I live in rural Alabama and haven't had luck finding other writers in my area. Help!

Looking forward to hanging out here with the rest of you MG folks! :)

elissacruz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fromthemixedupfiles.com
Can any of you help out an AW newbie? Where's the best place to find MG critique partners/beta readers? I live in rural Alabama and haven't had luck finding other writers in my area. Help!

Looking forward to hanging out here with the rest of you MG folks! :)

Have you tried SCBWI? That's the first place I'd look, if you haven't already. Also check Verla Kay's Blueboards (shh, don't tell anyone here I said that or I might be accused of message board mutiny lol) www.verlakay.com/boards because I know I've seen a post or two lately from others searching for MG beta readers/crit partners/manuscript swaps. I've found all my amazing crit partners there.

I'd also check and see if you have a writing association in your city or state. Often they will have some way of connecting writers together.

Good luck with your search!

ETA: There may be a good place to find people on these boards, too. I just haven't tried here myself. That's why I didn't think to mention it at first. Duh. ;)

Last edited:

loritayseastep

Long live MG!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loritayseastep.wordpress.com
Have you tried SCBWI? That's the first place I'd look, if you haven't already. Also check Verla Kay's Blueboards (shh, don't tell anyone here I said that or I might be accused of message board mutiny lol) www.verlakay.com/boards because I know I've seen a post or two lately from others searching for MG beta readers/crit partners/manuscript swaps. I've found all my amazing crit partners there.

Thanks... I'll check it out!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I recommend the Blue Boards and SCBWI all the time. They are great resources for kidlit writers. The Blue Boards are free, like AW. SCBWI has a membership fee, but it's worth it if you attend the events and conferences (which are always brilliant).

AW does have a Beta readers, mentors, and writing buddies room. You could post a request there.

In my opinion, though, the best way to find beta readers and critique partners is to spend time here in the kidlit room and over in the Writing for Kids SYW section. Get to know people. See who has similar taste in books. Who gives excellent critiques? Who writes pieces that you love to read? Make friends. :)

Good luck! And :welcome:.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have back my first set of beta notes on my MG, and I'm so excited to work on it.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Toothbrush of Terror - my boys would love that, Tim. "See Mom, I can't brush my teeth - I'm still too scared!"

It's a nightly battle, let me tell you.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
390362_2557687065737_1360811659_32994138_1844170202_n.jpg