All Things Middle Grade

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the automated response means it went into a spam folder or anything like that. As long as you had "requested" in the subject line, I think you're okay. If you're really worried, though, you could try to find an alternate e-mail address for her.

elissacruz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fromthemixedupfiles.com
Elissa - I'm going to finish up agent revisions on the last one and then -- start in next week? Monday, say? Maybe just for that first week, to get things going - 7K sound reasonable? <3

Hmmm....okay. You've convinced me. Are you going for 7K for the entire week, or another 5K a day challenge like we did last time?

Nikki

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nikkiloftin.com
Sheila - I think this is the ONLY instance when I would re-sub. Make sure you didn't have "Query" in the subject line, as this will be trigger their auto-reply. :) And also make sure you put the words "Requested Full" in the subject, like ferret said.
And GOOD LUCK! You must be writing something fabulous.

Elissa - 5K a day? I would DIE. I was trying to be conservative. I could aim for a 10K week, but no more. I have a day job yanno. :)

Kelkelen

Writer-In-Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annecat.deviantart.com
5K a DAY? Truly? That terrifies me! I've done NaNoWriMo in the past, and just trying to hit 2K a day is a struggle. Maybe if I didn't have a job, it would be different... but even then, I don't know!

I agree with Nikki. As long as you keep it brief and professional, I think it's sensible in this case to make sure it went through.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ferret and Nikki - I had just replied to their request, so my email said re:query etc. I didn't think to change the title to requested material. I think I will re-sub, worst thing that could happen is they delete it, right?

elissacruz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fromthemixedupfiles.com
5K a DAY? Truly? That terrifies me! I've done NaNoWriMo in the past, and just trying to hit 2K a day is a struggle. Maybe if I didn't have a job, it would be different... but even then, I don't know!

Yes, well, it takes a certain amount of insanity to pull it off, and then I can only do it for a few days before I collapse from sheer exhaustion! I've done it twice in the past four years, and I'm not sure I'm ready to do it again just yet. Maybe in another year.

Elissa - 5K a day? I would DIE. I was trying to be conservative. I could aim for a 10K week, but no more. I have a day job yanno. :)

LOL. 7k for the week sounds good to me. Just making sure, since last time I did 5k a day and I wasn't sure I was up for that again. About killed me last time!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I averaged 14K a day on my writing weekend in August :D

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I queried an agent in August, and got an automated response that they were closed to submissions until Sept. 1st. When I checked back in September, they had updated the website to say they were closed indefinitely. So I was really surprised when I got a response on Sunday saying they'd like to see my full.

The problem? I sent the full, as requested, and got another automated response saying they were closed to submissions. Should I follow up? According to the boards here, this agent is taking 5 months on fulls. I would hate to wait that long only to find out my submission hit her spam folder. On the other hand, if my query got read despite the auto-response, maybe I should assume my full will be, too?

hi Sheila. i saw your post on the agency thread and can tell you two things for sure about this agent, who has a full of mine right now. the first is that, from personal experience, she definitely receives AND reads emails that have been responded to with the auto-responder. AND that she is super, super sweet and understanding through all stages of correspondence. so if you would feel more comfortable resubbing, don't worry that she's going to be annoyed. when she requested, did she give you an alternate email address to send the full to? that's what she did with me. but even so, she's obviously very thorough with the emails, since she responded to your query even when she was closed to subs.

anyway, congrats on the request!

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Joy. The request came from her scout, without mention of an alternate email, just directions on how to title my word-compatible doc. She called my first 15 pages "hilarious" - so of course I love her now. Hee hee.

I guess we'll be waiting together! Maybe, since she's closed again to queries, she can get through her stack of submissions faster. Here's hoping!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
here's hoping, although she was closed all summer and it doesn't seem to have helped the people who have been waiting for 5+ months. she was actually only open for the first week of September. she seems committed to really taking her time, and i've heard she gives a lot of feedback, even on R's. so, it's good in the long run. in the meantime - hilarious is very encouraging!

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sheila, that is great news! I remember a couple months ago how discouraged you were -- I'm glad to hear that you stuck with it and things are looking up. It must feel so good to have someone in the business validate your talent. My fingers are crossed for you during this next step. :Hug2:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
GOOD LUCK, SHEILA. Is this on Minion School? *bounces around*

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! Swachski - it's true, I was so depressed. I couldn't get the opening to where I wanted. Then one agent sent me a revise and resubmit, saying she thought the voice was trying too hard, so I tweaked and tweaked. I sent the new version out to a few other agents, to test it before I sent it back to the first agent - and I ended up with two full requests! What makes this exciting, for me, is that both of those queries included a good chunk of writing - 8 pages and 15 pages, and my writing didn't scare them off!

Sage - yep, that's the one. My baby, born of Smish's writing prompt and lots and lots and lots of feedback here. Including yours!

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Sheila. You have a really great story!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sage - yep, that's the one. My baby, born of Smish's writing prompt and lots and lots and lots of feedback here. Including yours!
I didn't know it came from a prompt. That's so cool

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Sheila! That's awesome! :)