All Things Middle Grade

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there's so many threads dedicated to YA here on AW that I thought I would start one dedicated to MG ... although everyone's welcome. :)

Just testing the waters to see if there's any interest in MG bonding!

Last edited:

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an MG writer. :) I have a first draft of an MG completed, but I'm letting it sit a bit before I revise it. In the meantime, I'm writing another book.

Congrats on your good news!

:)Smish

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Congrats on your future book! Keep us updated.

I write MG and YA. My MG projects are MG fantasy and MG magical realism. I'm also toying with/plotting an MG sibling saga in the vein of an updated Little Women. Sort of.

Reactions: Gramps

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a MG fantasy...but it's looking like I'm going to have to shelve it. *sigh*. Starting on a YA project, but I really love writing for MG.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
My published books are YA (I've had emails and letters from readers from 9yo to 74yo, so I suppose it's YA smudged a bit). These are historical fantasy. My four MG stories are with a publisher now, hoping to be accepted. They are purely adventure stories. They are set in places I've visited or lived - Papua New Guinea, Isle of Man, south coast of England and Scotland.

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, it's great to start a community of MG friendly writers here! I look forward to sharing news and exploring writing issues particular to my favorite genre. :)

Sary

Registered
Reaction score
Yay for MG! My first MG novel is scheduled for release in 2011. I'm working on the second (and third ... and fourth ... all in different stages ... but only the second is under contract).

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I'm sort of all over the spectrum but I am shopping around an MG urban fantasy right now. Hopefully the first in a trilogy. I've been pondering the second book, almost started it last night but was a bit on the "holy crap I'm starting law school tomorrow (aka today..in about 2 hours and 20 minutes) so I didn't. But who knows, depending on how fast I get my homework done today, I might actually start it.

The other book I have in the works is definitely adult, even though it has a 9 year old MC in it. I'm sure I'll come up with some more kid friendly stories. I was thinking about the whole maiden-mother-crone myth last night. Thinking I could work with that somehow.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Good to know there are other MG writers here. Anyone going to any upcoming SCBWI regional/state conferences? I've never been to one, but I signed up to go to the Central Ohio conference on October 3rd.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Congrats on the upcoming release, Timp! That's great!

I write MG...but the one completed novel I have, I have basically given up on. I plan to continue writing in this market...but Dubious Pickles and the Space Between the Walls has recently been set inside the ever filling TRUNK. (-; I have ideas...I will see where they lead me.

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Speaking of SCBWI, I looked into joining the New England Central chapter but their conference is in Rhode Island so I can't go. Bummer.

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Yay Sary!

I can hardly wait to read your book. Keep us updated!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
My published works include MG, YA, and adult -- primarily nonfiction. Of all, I get the most satisfaction from MG work, and that, coupled with the fact that even in bad times like this, there always seems to be a need for MG, has led to to concentrate my efforts heavily on MG works.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an unpublished writer of MG and YA and adult stuff. I think MG is closest to my heart though. I'm going to start subbing an early MG novel soon, I think. So cool to see all the published and soon-to-be-pubbed MG authors hanging out around here!

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Both my published books (see sig) are MG and I think it's lovely to have this thread! Sometimes it feels like MG gets a bit swept under the carpet. Huzzah MG!

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Of all, I get the most satisfaction from MG work, and that, coupled with the fact that even in bad times like this, there always seems to be a need for MG, has led to to concentrate my efforts heavily on MG works.

I think there's a need for good MG, too. I have heard the age range for MG called "the golden years for reading." It's so important to reach that audience with quality and care!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in revisions on an MG realistic novel and getting started on a new MG book that involves a bit more magic...I think...too early to know for sure!

Sometimes I make myself read an adult book, just to stay in practice, but...I'm really just a kid.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Scope- what sort of non-fic topics do you write about?

I think it's fair to say that except for some extremely rare exceptions there really aren't any brand new nonfiction subjects to write about. However, I find there are many subjects for which a really good book is needed, better than anything that's in the marketplace. And then there are some subjects where few books exist for what I see as a very large audience. And of course there are always new twists and approaches to subjects which I see as needed, and would be well received.

For personal reasons I try hard to remain anonymous on any posting site. So, I hope you will understand why I choose not to list the subjects of my published books (1+1 always = 2!) However, the subjects are diverse and include my work as an author, ghostwriter, and project director. In total about 80 published books.

Last edited:

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
I think there's a need for good MG, too. I have heard the age range for MG called "the golden years for reading." It's so important to reach that audience with quality and care!
In speaking with my local children's librarian, she mentioned the desperate need for good, collection-style MG. Non-genre, non-series kinds of books, like The Penderwicks. According to her, it's becoming something of an epidemic!

So, yay to all the MG writers trying to keep our youth reading!

WriterEm

Ive-gay e-may an eak-bray!
Registered
Reaction score
Good to know there are other MG writers here. Anyone going to any upcoming SCBWI regional/state conferences? I've never been to one, but I signed up to go to the Central Ohio conference on October 3rd.
I'm going to one of the SCBWI conferences next month (Nashville). I'm really looking forward to it!! :)

It'll be my first as well.

Yay me!

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
I've been naughty, so feel free to whip me with a wet noodle. I should be rewriting and editing my MG fantasy, but life has been offering me other creative endeavours to explore. Yanno... Oooh, look. Shiny...

:poke:

*opens MS file* Well, that's a start...

Hiya, fellow MGers!

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got my agent with my YA book (soon to be subbed out) and just started writing an MG book and boy, soooo much harder to write than YA ;-) And for boys too which makes it 10 times harder (imo). But it's fun and exciting branching out into something new :)