All Things Middle Grade

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quick question. Does anyone here write short stories for reputable websites/magazines where they pay a bit? Or does anyone know anything about such a website/magazine?

Ruth's post is excellent. :Thumbs:

I also want to point you toward the Kid Magazine Writers website. It's no longer actively updated, but the archives are excellent.

Children's print magazines are very difficult to break in to, especially if you're submitting fiction. Also, many of them take ages to respond. So, don't get discouraged if you don't get bites right away.

Good luck!

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone!

Nah, you're fine sissybaby.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
oh, anguish...

Another agent rejected the full today, and for the exact same reason. The book is a little too "small and quiet..."

This rejection was absolutely lovely, really. She had all kinds of nice things to say about it, and said that should I decide to rewrite it in a way that raises the stakes, she'd like to see it. And anything I write in the future. So... I'm getting close. I know that. I have two agents wanting to see my next project, and willing to reconsider if I can figure out a way to make Agatha "bigger."

The thing is, I'd be quite willing to raise the stakes, I guess, if I had an idea of how to do that. Right now, I don't see it. I don't really know where it would go. So I guess I'll keep querying it the way it is, keep working on making the new WIP bigger and more magical, and maybe when I least expect it, the solution will come to me and I'll see how to revise Agatha so it sells.

So close...

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
oh, anguish...

Another agent rejected the full today, and for the exact same reason. The book is a little too "small and quiet..."

This rejection was absolutely lovely, really. She had all kinds of nice things to say about it, and said that should I decide to rewrite it in a way that raises the stakes, she'd like to see it. And anything I write in the future. So... I'm getting close. I know that. I have two agents wanting to see my next project, and willing to reconsider if I can figure out a way to make Agatha "bigger."

The thing is, I'd be quite willing to raise the stakes, I guess, if I had an idea of how to do that. Right now, I don't see it. I don't really know where it would go. So I guess I'll keep querying it the way it is, keep working on making the new WIP bigger and more magical, and maybe when I least expect it, the solution will come to me and I'll see how to revise Agatha so it sells.

So close...

I'm so sorry. I still think it's only a matter of time before you get an agent. Maybe you could have some beta readers help suggest ways to raise the stakes? I'm happy to volunteer, if you're interested.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Man, you would think it would get a bit easier with each rejection, but it doesn't. I'm starting to worry now, I just want one more full request just so I can feel, I don't know, validated that my work is good enough. I don't know, it just sucks and it makes it harder with only one full request out of like 14 (haven't heard back from some so that could be a no on some). I know it's not MANY agents, but even a partial request would be nice to know that, I don't know, my story is good enough...

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
oh, anguish...

So close...

I'm so sorry to hear that .... Now, have you thought about adding a vampire to your story :)

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Friday the 13th. I got a "lovely" R today too (if that's not an oxymoron I don't know what is). Also had a very bad day at work, but we won't go into that.

An editor sent word that she connected with the realistic parts more than the mystery/legend parts. The good news is she read the whole thing and had nice things to say.

I still have fulls out with three editors. Hopefully one of them will connect with BOTH parts.

Dawminator

Registered
Reaction score
What is the trend in Middle Grade right now

I keep hearing that a lot of publishers are desperately looking for books for boys. Is that true?

Emberchyld

Hanging out in Medieval Castles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
isabelbandeira.blogspot.com
I've always written YA, but my latest protag just demanded to be MG... so, here I am (working hard to think younger.) Hi!

(BTW, saw this awesome news story about an 11 year old boy in a local town who just helped catch a bank robber, and immediately thought of AW and the MGers!)

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I keep hearing that a lot of publishers are desperately looking for books for boys. Is that true?

I've seen publishers ask for that, as well as agents list "books for boys" as something they're looking for. But I don't think "desperately looking" would be accurate. If you have something, though, there are places that are seeking that kind of book -
ao lot nam sieu mong do ngu thoi trang be gai vest cong so chan vay cong so chup anh da ngoai o ha noi
Good luck!

Last edited:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
blame it on george lucas...

He was on The Daily Show last week, and Jon Stewart was teasing him about the new movie being another epic--So, this is Episode 7, right? And George sheepishly admitted that he tried really hard to fit the whole Tuskegee airmen story into one film, but... Red Tails is actually the middle of a trilogy.

So, my mom was giving me support and encouragement about my agent rejection dilemma (revise and resubmit?), and she reminded me of Mr. Lucas' interview.

This morning, I realized...that's what I've done. I've tried to fit two stories together, and ended up shortchanging the one I started with.

So...if I'm going to revise, it looks like I'll be tearing the one book apart and turning it into two. Each of the MCs becomes the hero of his/her own story. Which means my original character has a fully developed world and cast of supporting characters and... no plot.

Not yet, anyway. We're working on it.

I'm swinging back and forth between Oh, goody, I have an idea! and Holy sh**, am I really going to try to rewrite not just one but two complete novels? At the same time? With a third already underway?

maybe I'll just go eat some more chocolate-covered cherries...

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
MsJudy, can you do that, work on more than one book at a time? I'm wondering about it right now. I just submitted a small handful of queries out on my MG, got one immediate request for a full, from my absolute #1 choice agent, which I've sent off, and am now waiting on the others before querying more.

Meantime, my mind is bouncing between the current book, which is complete, but I love to fiddle around with it, tweaking and tightening it, and a sequel, which is kind of underway, and a totally new novel that is forming in my mind. Yet somehow, when I sit down at the computer, I can't enter that new world yet, and find myself either tweaking the finished book, or thinking about a sequel, or researching something else entirely. I have a feeling that once I start serious work on the new book, I will start liking it as much as I like the current one. It's totally different, and I'm excited about the idea.

But once I enter a new book for real, ie, more than a few notes and ideas, I am living it. I'm not sure that I can jump back and forth from one to another, making edits to the finished one as needed, while living a whole new story. It consumes me as the story unfolds. I'm in awe of people who can work on multiple projects. How do you do it? I'm loathe to try, although I know I need to move on as I let the other book find its way out in the world.....

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know! We'll see. The advantage is that 2 are set in the same world, and the other is set in the same era. So a lot of the world-building is already done, and carries from one to the next. My plan is to focus on one for as long as I have ideas for it, and the moment I get stuck, dive into another. The only way I'm going to manage is to increase the amount of writing I get done every week, which doesn't really seem possible at the moment but we'll see what I can manage. If I end up getting so into one story that it takes over and crowds out the other two, that's fine. As long as I get something completed!

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! That's cool, working on two connected stories. How fun. Challenging, but once you get into it, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

I worked late into the night making notes for the new book, but somehow, I can think on the plot, but not enter it yet. My mind is still in the world of the other book, which is extremely different. I'm not ready for time travel yet...... but it will come. :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't wait to read them once they're written. I love your book as it is, but I do like the idea of giving each character his or her own book -- because it means MORE. Yay! :D

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
good grief! In the bouncy castle, I referred to Red Tail as a film about the Muskeegee Airmen, rather than the Tuskeegee Airmen, and no one corrected me. Come on, folks, if I'm being an idiot, let me know!

MsJudy - I wish you the best success in your current endeavor. I hope it all goes very, very well for you and Agatha.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
HA! Well, I have found that being pedantic is actually not that great a way to make friends :D Surprising news, I know.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Kitty means she didn't correct Sissybaby because she didn't want to seem pedantic. Though if anybody can correct a person and make them feel happy to be nagged, it's our kitty cat...

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Heavens to Murgatroyd! Why am I saying "pedantic" now in the voice of Snagglepuss?

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I don't ever have a problem with correction if I've screwed up. So I'll admit (with a red face) that I had to look up pedantic. I really need to broaden my vocabulary!

Hey - where would be the best place to post that I am looking for writers to interview for my blog. Blogging is so new for me and I'm floundering for ideas.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Hey - where would be the best place to post that I am looking for writers to interview for my blog. Blogging is so new for me and I'm floundering for ideas.

I would say, if you want to interview MG or YA authors, this is a good place to mention it, and also start a thread in "writing for kids" section. I know a lot of authors (*ahem* ;)) here would probably be very interested in getting involved in such a thing.

I could be wrong though - maybe it has to be in the "promotion" thread???
do lot nam cao cap do boi nu cao cap thoi trang tre em quan ao ban buon vest cong so chup anh cho be re dep
I think most bloggers flounder for ideas from time to time. I know I do. I must write six or seven posts before I actually decide I have something that won't totally bore the readers to death.

Last edited:

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I don't ever have a problem with correction if I've screwed up. So I'll admit (with a red face) that I had to look up pedantic. I really need to broaden my vocabulary!

*raises hand*
I'm happy to volunteer.:) Lots of other writers would be too. If you have someone in particular in mind, just go ahead and email them. I've found if the email is easy to find on their website, that usually means they will respond, unless it's someone overwhelmingly well-known who is inundated with requests.