Let's Make a Better List

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brassfarthing.blogspot.com
The more I think on it, the more I think "Good Omens" is the best Pratchett choice, because it includes the genius of Gaiman, as well.

Thoughts?

Got my vote.

Also vote for Ysabel. I love almost all of GGK's stuff, but Ysabel is the one that I go back to when I am out of fresh reading material. And it still makes me tear up, and laugh hysterically, and read passages aloud to my husband. Not sure why, but LOVE that book.
However, the same thing happens with Lions, so I'm good with either one being on the list. :)

yanallefish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
howewriter2000.4t.com
GuyGavriel Kay is sadly someone I still haven't read... My personal list would be this:

1)Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum
2)Memory and Dream - Charles DeLint
3)Gormenghast - Mervyn Peake
4)Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K.LeGuin
5)Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
6)Pern - Anne McCaffrey
7)Harry Potter - J.K.Rowling

note: I have Frankenstein there because it really is a fantastical novel, not really horror. Likewise, I put Pern on because well, I'd consider it fantasy more than sf -- at least the stuff she wrote up till the later 1990's or so.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You know what's funny about that list

Quite a few on there come under 'Books I've read that I wish I hadn't'

As for our list - you think we'd ever come up with a definitive one everyone's happy with?

ETA: makes me wonder if that paper is actually going out of its way to turn people off fantasy.

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
ETA: makes me wonder if that paper is actually going out of its way to turn people off fantasy.
The more I think about it, the more I suspect you might be right. Do you know what The New Yorker is famous for? Literary fiction and criticism. Hmm.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
On topic, I'm not sure how to "correct" the list, or even if it needs correction. Beyond removing Erikson (his work has zero exposition and is therefore too difficult for any beginner's list), I have no immediate suggestions. We'd need to decide what our goal is.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
SPMiller, I think my goal is pretty clear. 6 guys and 1 woman, all of European descent, all writing the same sort of fantasy, is not - I feel - an adequate second step into one of the most diverse and divergent fields of writing in all the realms.

I also disagree with your statement about beginners needing easy stuff. Kids read some of the hardest books there are in school. How many adults read at least one Shakespeare play a year for six years?

Margo Lanagan, Kelly Link, John Scalzi, Cory Doctorow, Harper Lee, and about every teen/ya author I know of don't water down to spoon feed writing to beginners.

Beginners are six. By the time a kid reaches about 14, they can handle the real stuff. Whether they like it or not is a matter of taste. But, dumbing down every book on the list would alienate the young readers that want for something intellectually more robust in the same way that Murakami may alienate the kids who just want fart jokes and explosions.

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Right, so, here's our list as I understand it after some revision and suggestion of others.

1) Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay
2) Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
3) A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K LeGuinn
4) The Etched City by K. J. Bishop
5) Kindred by Octavia Butler
6) Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
7) ???

Right, who do you want for number 7? I've got my ideas, but I've been pretty active. DClary, SPMiller, Yanallafish, etc?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'd make Earthsea the first trilogy (I've not read the later ones) as The Farthest Shore is the best of them IMO, and one of the best children's fantasy novels of the 70s.

Most of Ian McDonald's novels are SF, but King of Morning, Queen of Day is fantasy (three generations of Irish women and their encounters with the world of faerie) and it knocked me out. However, that and Gormenghast would pull the list more in a stylistic rather than storytelling direction (not that the two are mutually exclusive).

If you're looking for faerie books, Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely is the obvious recent one, though it's a very well written book that I liked rather than loved. There's also Kim Wilkins's The Autumn Castle, which is the best of her three "Europa Suite" fantasy novels, though Rosa and the Veil of Gold is a close second. (I found Giants of the Frost disappointing - I read it with its original ending, rather than the more upbeat one the Americans got.) But although I like Wilkins's work, I'm not sure I'd quite put any of hers in a list like this.

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
What's wrong with Sedia? She's a woman, and Russian, and her stuff is fantastic. I'd also argue that "beginners"(teenagers?) can handle it.

"Alchemy of Stone" is what I would have put, if I had put in #7 myself. I would still love a Hispanic author/ess on the list, if possible.

Any objections?

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Right, so here's our list, then. An objections?

6) Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
7) The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I've never even heard of #4 and #7. They might be awesome, but I wouldn't know. The others look fine, if not exactly my taste.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Good God, I am so behind in my reading. I haven't read any of those yet.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

No place for David Gemmell?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No 8, 9, 10? :)

*votes for another GGK book* ofc

AllieKat

just a writer, unbranded
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritinglifeforme.blogspot.com
Jonathan Strange etc is a great book, but almost everyone I talked to found it really hard to get through (even the folks who liked it!). Is that good fantasy for beginners?

I have to say, I don't read a huge amount of fantasy, but I completely loved this book. It took awhile to read, but I didn't find it hard to read at all. I even loved the foot notes. (And I'm probably never going to start any fat fantasy sword-and-sorcery series novels, because I just don't tend to like that kind of thing.)

(Another fantasy story I loved: The Book of Lost Things, by Michael Connelly. That one's a winner, as far as I'm concerned.)

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thought: Theodora Goss' short story collection? (Severe shortage of short fiction on the New Yorker list...)

Maybe we should have a separate list for short fiction. Theodora Goss's In the Forest of Forgetting would definitely be on my list for that.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Re: Good Omens, I probably shouldn't be offering two cents on a book I haven't read, but those friends of mine who are fans of Neil Gaiman and/or Terry Pratchett tended to be less impressed with Good Omens, with the usual opinion I hear over and over being that, for a book written jointly, it weakens both their voices and is not as strong as their other writings, or as indicative of their usual work.

Quite frankly, I'd like to see them both on this list--perhaps "American Gods" for Neil Gaiman? Or, if we want to put together a short list of short fiction, as Alan has suggested, we could put a Gaiman anthology on that list somewhere, and leave Pratchett in his original place, with "The Color of Magic" or "Guards! Guards!"

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Well... Someone compile their list of seven and all talking and negotiating commence.

Come on, now, I'm not driving the bus again. I've driven us this far.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, my list is going to be terribly limited in scope, but assuming I put together a list of "essential books to introduce the casual fantasy reader to more 'advanced' fantasy, and which I've read, keeping in mind that 'advanced' or 'better' are subjective terms anyway, and a lot of this depends on what I know of that person's taste in reading," I'd offer them:

1. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
2. The Beyond by Jeffrey Ford
3. The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
4. Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town by Cory Doctorow
5. Watership Down by Richard Adams
6. Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
7. And, for the dragon vote, either Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey, Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly, or The Dragon and the Unicorn by A.A. Attanasio, depending on their tastes.

If you think this bus is being driven unsafely, let us know! ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.