AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Nancy Love Literary Agency

In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasis of Austin.

Nancy Love Literary Agency

I queried Nancy Love because she has represented a mystery author or two and gets the thumbs up from the usual sources (e.g., P&E). I just wondered if anyone has had any experience with her agency that they would be willing to share. I spoke to her on the phone and she was very friendly and encourgaing.
    Thanks for any input.

Nancy Love

Back in the old days, when I was sending manuscripts in the mail (and way before I should have been submitting ANYWHERE), I send almost every bad novel I had to poor Nancy Love.

Of course, she didn't represent me, but she was very nice. She always responded to me - even taking the time to write me a letter in an attempt to give me advice.

I have no clue about her sales, but she may have been one of the nicest agents I ever contacted.

Nancy
    Nancy Mehl
    May 2014 - Gathering Shadows - Finding Sanctuary Series
    September 2013 - Unforeseeable - The Road to Kingdom Series *Nominated for RT Reviewer's Choice Award
    www.nancymehl.com
    www.nancymehl.blogspot.com

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Unhappy Nancy Love

Dear Watercoolers,

I was checking various mystery agents and found contradictory info. on Nancy Love depending on which Web site I went to. Miriam Taiger is no longer with the agency but is hocking her wares as a book doctor. I called the agency and was shocked to find that they now exclusively represent nonfiction. Wow, what a change! A great deal of the Agent Query Web pages are 3 to 4 years out of date. I called 5 agents that morning. One that was supposed to represent mysteries was very surprised by the news. People who were supposed to be at certain agencies weren't there anymore. Others who were supposed to have started their own agency answered the phone at the one they'd supposedly moved on from. The gal who answered the phone at Nancy Love said they were still getting a lot of queries for mysteries, but apparently were in no rush to update any information. Writer beware! My best suggestion is read the sites, then call and find out if the info is still valid.

Transom-Jumper.
    Last edited by transom-jumper; 03-10-2007 at 08:35 AM.

figuring it all out Edita A Petrick's Avatar

Nancy Love Lit. Agency

Just for information if you already don't know it but Nancy Love Agency is no longer representing any fiction - it is now concentrating entirely on non-fiction. So don't bother sending queries of genre material.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    GLA's recent conversation with Ms. Love.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

On February 12th, I sent a snail mail query to Nancy Love regarding my book on massive corruption in the government and the CIA. She emailed a request for my book proposal on February 19th.
    Last edited by ExposingCorruption; 02-26-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edita A Petrick View Post
    Nancy Love Agency is no longer representing any fiction - it is now concentrating entirely on non-fiction. So don't bother sending queries of genre material.

I thought non-fiction was a genre, as in: "Politics and history are among the nonfiction genres that Nancy Love represents."

Is this a correct use of the word "genre," or should "genre" only be used to designate fiction?

One Hit Wonder? Kasey Mackenzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExposingCorruption View Post

I thought non-fiction was a genre, as in: "Politics and history are among the nonfiction genres that Nancy Love represents."

Is this a correct use of the word "genre," or should "genre" only be used to designate fiction?
    "A genre" can refer to any genre, including non-fiction. But when someone calls writing genre fiction, or genre material, that generally refers to romance, mystery, horror, and science fiction/fantasy. Basically, it's everything that's not non-fiction or literary, at least that's the way I've always defined it.
    Good things come to those who wait...and work their tails off!!!

Coming Soon on Kindle: Reborn in Fire

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    If you want to be totally technical about it, the genres are prose, poetry, and drama.

Goddess of Rationalization Hathor's Avatar
    I thought this thread should note that Nancy is deceased and the agency is closed.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: