William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
WASHINGTON--Chicago Sun-Times columnist Robert Novak, one of the nation's most influential journalists, who relished his "Prince of Darkness" public persona, died at home here early Tuesday morning after a battle with brain cancer.

"He was someone who loved being a journalist, love journalism and loved his country and loved his family, Novak's wife, Geraldine, told the Sun-Times on Tuesday.

Novak's remarkable and long-running career made him a powerful presence in newspaper columns, newsletters, books and on television.

On May 15, 1963, Novak teamed up with the late Rowland Evans Jr. to create the "Inside Report" political column, which became the must-read syndicated column. Evans tapped Novak, then a 31-year old correspondent for the Wall Street Journal, to help with the workload of a six-day-a-week column.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2009/08/robert_novak_chicago_sun-times.html

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a print journalist, I found Robert Novak to be an intelligent, savvy, well-informed and authoritative writer.

But when he went on to do television he learned to condense complicated issues into pithy 30 second soundbites. He dumbed down his message to fit the format and limits of the talking head.

As a talking head on Crossfire, The McLaughlin Group and other programs, I thought he was an inflamed asshole. Before there was Bill O' Reilly or Sean Hannity, there was Novak, the Prince of Darkness.

In print Novak was deep. On the boob tube he was a dick. But he had to be. Like wrestling, that was the role he was cast in.

My father once said he'd love to catch Novak in a dark alley with a baseball bat. I would have loved to bat clean up. Novak came off a right-wing prick on television and he knew it, but the gig paid too well for him not to.

I learned to ignore Novak on television and just read his column instead. Rarely would I agree with with him, but he did an excellent job of presenting the conservative side of the argument.

As a journalist, I think Robert Novak was damned good at his job. But as a talking head?

Meh. :e2seesaw:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I will always remember Mr. Novak as the schmuck who did Dick Cheney's bidding by outing Valerie Plame.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm loath to speak ill of the dead, so I'll simply add my RIP.