Supreme Court orders hearing for Troy Davis

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I know. That's part of what I like about you even though I disagree with you so much I've created macros for my counter-arguments to save time on typing. You don't waffle based on party lines or anything like that. You're consistent.
So you're saying your arguments supporting government in most cases are -- inconsistent? :ROFL:
Would you two like to share a Fresca[sup]TM[/sup]?
Cheapass. Obama would at least spring for two beers. :D

ETA: Of course, he'd pay with them with other people's money, so I see your point.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you're right. VERY LITTLE doubt.
I'd like to see anyone give a reasonable argument that it wasn't him that did it.
I give up. How?

Well in this case, the "new evidence" appears to have been heard several times and rejected each of those times. What has changed in this case that would require another hearing?
Obviously, different judges will come to different conclusions when presented with the same evidence. It's been the Georgia judges (or the pardons and parole commissions, whoever - I've been sort-of following this case off and on for the last year or two) who decided all this evidence wasn't good enough for a new hearing.

One might suspect the Georgia judges of being reluctant to go against a conviction done by Georgia prosecutors and a case ruled on by a Georgia judge, but who am I to question the motives of those in the Justice System, surely they're perfect and not biased in any way ...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So you're saying your arguments supporting government in most cases are -- inconsistent? :ROFL:

My arguments supporting anything are subject to change based entirely on who I'm dating at the moment...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
My arguments supporting anything are subject to change based entirely on who I'm dating at the moment...
Sorry, J, I'm married. I thought you knew that.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I'd like to see anyone give a reasonable argument that it wasn't him that did it.
I tend to think that supposing he is guilty is a very reasonable conclusion to make. And if he goes to trial, I think he would likely be found guilty by a jury of reasonable people.

Regardless, such a jury could not--if they were honest--say they were 100% sure that the guy was guilty, because none of them were there. They would be accepting evidence as valid and some testimony as truthful/correct to reach such a decision.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to think that supposing he is guilty is a very reasonable conclusion to make. And if he goes to trial, I think he would likely be found guilty by a jury of reasonable people.

Regardless, such a jury could not--if they were honest--say they were 100% sure that the guy was guilty, because none of them were there. They would be accepting evidence as valid and some testimony as truthful/correct to reach such a decision.

You are right. It is scientificially impossible to be 100% sure of anything. Given the uncertainty principle and other probabilistic limitations of this known universe, you can never be 100% sure.

SO I will amend my argument to 99.999% sure + the requirement of Physical evidence to give us another couple of .99% points making it 99.99999% sure.

Mel...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

From the OP:

Hearing is to determine whether there is evidence "that could not have been obtained at the time of trial (that) clearly establishes petitioner's innocence."

Sounds like they're looking to see if there is a "reasonable argument". Sounds like a proper procedure to me.

caw

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
You are right. It is scientificially impossible to be 100% sure of anything. Given the uncertainty principle and other probabilistic limitations of this known universe, you can never be 100% sure.

SO I will amend my argument to 99.999% sure + the requirement of Physical evidence to give us another couple of .99% points making it 99.99999% sure.

Mel...
So, how would you draw that up, for purposes of the legal code and jury deliberation?

And what happens when that one case comes along wherein the level of certainty is achieved--according to the rules--but it is discovered after the fact that the person was, amazingly enough, not guilty? A new set of rules, specifying 99.9999999% certainty?

Or maybe we could just appoint a Certainty Czar...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

There may well be police dashboard video of the event (several police chasing, woman driving the car getting stuck in the mud, man in passenger seat pointing gun at her and firing), and I'd expect that to be considered to be more than adequate evidence.
From the OP:

Sounds like they're looking to see if there is a "reasonable argument". Sounds like a proper procedure to me.

caw
Actually, I'm talking about the "suspect" arrested right after doing the act in the news story in my post #14.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with "beyond all possibility of doubt" convictions is that such remains a subjective human judgment. And humans will make mistakes, even the smartest and most honest of us (neither of which, btw, is a criterion for serving on a jury, not even in a capital case).

Just to clarify, it is beyond a reasonable doubt, not all possibility of doubt (you probably know that, but I just wanted to make sure).

I am opposed to the death penalty under all circumstances. Not only is it something that cannot be divorced from human error, it also qualifies as homicide without need. When somebody engages in a shootout with the police, then the police officers are acting in clear self-defense, responding to force with force. To cold-bloodedly take a helpless prisoner and simply kill them when he (or she) presents no immediate threat is no better than murder in my eyes (although legally, of course, it isn't).

I support the death penalty in only certain circumstances, but I think it is used way too much.

Nor do I consider valid the arguments about closure (which strikes me as nothing more than revenge) nor the cost of keeping a prisoner behind bars for life (i.e. killing people to save money).

To be sure, it is easy to select horrible, sickening human beings whose deaths will not cause me to even contemplate shedding a tear. What I argue is that "he's a terrible human being" is not a justification to kill someone. Ever.

I'm pleased to read that SCOTUS is willing to consider innocence as an adequate reason to re-examine a criminal case. From what I understand, this is something of a new precedent.

I'm definitely pro-Police, and I think anyone who kills a police officer should rot for the rest of his life; however, it sounds like there is a lot of doubt about his guilt.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

SO I will amend my argument to 99.999% sure + the requirement of Physical evidence to give us another couple of .00099% points making it 99.99999% sure.

Mel...

Fixed. X_x

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I get e-mails from Amnesty International, so I've been informed about this case for a while now. No one is asking for Troy Davis to be set free, so I don't understand why the state is in such a big rush to kill the man. Commute the sentence to life.

I've been to prison, life is worse than death. Believe me.