Somebody give me a clue here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
I'm having a heck of a time with a non-fiction synopsis. I write in a humorous manner about a serious subject. I do address issues and offer solutions, but in a laugh instead of cry manner.

I've had some success, I've been published in print and on-line magazines, write for a paying blog, have been included in a couple of anthologies put out by good legitimate publishers. Readers tell me I'm great, you know, I'm doing OK, in my own little pond.

I'm trying to get out of my little pond. Many books are published about the things I write about, some by major publishers that sell well. The thing is they are all inspriational, academic, whiny, etc., and all dead serious.

I'm having a rough time getting the humor in my book across in the synopsis. I'm being perceived by agents as angry. I'm not, not is the book. I haven't had this problem with the editors I've worked with on shorter projects, they "got me".

How do I get across the humor, the fact that it does address the serious stuff , and I'm not angry.

Stargazer

Spiralling into the abyss
Registered
Reaction score
This can only go one of two ways so I won't beat about the bush on this one.

The situation you find yourself in sounds a bit like how some people might describe Jeremy Clarkson. If you know the guy, then you may know what I mean and you can skip past the next paragraph. If you don;t know who he is, allow me to explain.

He's primarily a motoring journalist here in the UK (I'm assuming you're American here since one of the pages in your sig line links to usage of the word zucchini which is the American name for a Courgette) and he is very opinionated but funny and entertaining along with it. Clarkson, apart from writing about cars, also writes columns for papers, often expressing his views on the world and how he feels the world should chnge to meet his philosophies and ideas. Books are available with some of his articles compiled together.

Now, one could look at the things Clarkson says and say, the guy is just an angry idiot who's trying to vent. But we know we have to take him with a pinch of salt because over here, he's a household name. If you;re yet to acheive that status then you need your blurb on the back to say it as is your dilemma here.

But looking at the back of one of Clarkson's books that I have here on my desk, it says just about what you need your to say, I'll type it out word for word so you can get an idea of how this guy is marketed as funny instead of pissed off.

Jeremy Clarkson finds the world such a perplexing place that he wrote a bestselling book about it. Yet, despite the appearance of The World According to Clarkson, things - amazingly - havn't improved. Not being someone to give up easily, however, he's decided to have another go.

Thigh-slappingly funny and in your face, Jeremy Clarkson bursts the pointless little bubbles of the idiots while celebrating the special, unique and the sheer bloody brilliant...

I guess just say in the back that you're being incredibly funny and they'll realise that maybe instead of just having a rant, you're being topical and witty and ease off your back a bit.

Just an idea.

Rob.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Rob,

I know and love Jeremy Clarkson. I'd been reading his stuff on the internet for years, and now finally, we get Top Gear over here on BBC America. I really think that folks over on your side of the pond have a much better grasp of Clarkson's style of humor.

OK, so all I have to do is write great big at the top of the synopsis, "I'M BEING FUNNY, YOU BRAINLESS TWIT!" Got it.

I kid.

But I do understand what you mean.

Stargazer

Spiralling into the abyss
Registered
Reaction score
I really think that folks over on your side of the pond have a much better grasp of Clarkson's style of humor.

I dunno about that. It seems the tabloid press love nothing more than to slate him for anything they can think of that may be considered even slightly taboo.

He's like Marmite... You either love him or hate him. There is no inbetween.

OK, so all I have to do is write great big at the top of the synopsis, "I'M BEING FUNNY, YOU BRAINLESS TWIT!" Got it.

I kid.

But I do understand what you mean.

It seems ridiculous, I know. But I huess when people fail to understand even when it stares them in the face, they need to be told in simple terms what your point is before you make it and then they can see the angle you're coming from.

Wish you the best of luck with your writing and finally getting understood by agents/publishers/whomever.

Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.