Senators exclude end-of-life provision from bill

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I've read them. Have you? Or do you just put up the links rather than discuss specifics?

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
You can only be rational after a bill has become law? The whole point of the debate is to arrive at a bill that is as satisfactory as possible, and to do that we all need voices of reason, on both sides, or however many sides there are, of the issue. This insane crap helps nada to get at a satisfactory result.

caw
there are NO BILLS to debate!

there is a pre-draft house bill dated 14 Jul, which has 17 major changes that have not been released.

the senate has a pre-draft that is not dated/numbered that has not even been released from committee.

There is zip to debate

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
I've read them. Have you? Or do you just put up the links rather than discuss specifics?
Yes I have

ETA; As for discussing specifics, aside from quoting the wrong draft house v. senate bill, "The relevant section begins on Line 15. I realize it doesn't say "No senior citizens will be placed on ice floes and pushed out to sea," but it is clear enough that no one should be yammering on about death panels or frightened about being euthanized." , is wording IMHO not too conducive to discussion.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
there are NO BILLS to debate!

there is a pre-draft house bill dated 14 Jul, which has 17 major changes that have not been released.

the senate has a pre-draft that is not dated/numbered that has not even been released from committee.

There is zip to debate

Christ, Robert, there's plenty to debate. Obama wants to kill everyone over the age of 62. You don't think that deserves debate?

caw

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I have
So do you think one is clearer than the other, with regard to the end-of-life counseling? You said the language wasn't clear enough, but I don't see where it is so difficult. And there is simply no way anyone could reasonably believe the nonsense about death panels.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Christ, Robert, there's plenty to debate. Obama wants to kill everyone over the age of 62. You don't think that deserves debate?

caw
Well, to be fair, I think it's anyone terminal, regardless of age. Or impaired in any way...at least that's what Sarah Palin said.

And you get this: man is being held for carrying a sigh wishing death the entire First Family. Yes, Malia and Sasha, too. Though he called them "stupid kids."

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
And there is simply no way anyone could reasonably believe the nonsense about death panels.

Really? Because at this point, I wouldn't put anything past our government.

I have lost all my faith in the US government. Too much corruption.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
So do you think one is clearer than the other, with regard to the end-of-life counseling? You said the language wasn't clear enough, but I don't see where it is so difficult. And there is simply no way anyone could reasonably believe the nonsense about death panels.
Heh...can you quote me the senate version?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
What do you find especially unclear about the wording? Granted, bills are written in specialized language.

All the more reason folks would like to trust what their party tells them these things say.

I can't believe the bizarre extent of misinformation out there. Don't people get angry at being lied to so blatantly?

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Heh...can you quote me the senate version?
You won't discuss them, except to make vague pronouncements of lack of clarity, but you want specifics from me. Sorry, I'm interested in actual discussion, not games.

But I get why you're being evasive.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I have

ETA; As for discussing specifics, aside from quoting the wrong draft house v. senate bill, "The relevant section begins on Line 15. I realize it doesn't say "No senior citizens will be placed on ice floes and pushed out to sea," but it is clear enough that no one should be yammering on about death panels or frightened about being euthanized." , is wording IMHO not too conducive to discussion.

Line 15 of which section? I'm not being snarky; I just really can't find the part we're talking about in this version.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
You won't discuss them, except to make vague pronouncements of lack of clarity, but you want specifics from me. Sorry, I'm interested in actual discussion, not games.

But I get why you're being evasive.
Could be that the senate version doesn't contain the info you want to discuss.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Line 15 of which section? I'm not being snarky; I just really can't find the part we're talking about in this version.
Line 15 came from my link, which went directly to the section of the House bill (which Robert is cagily calling the "wrong" draft) that dealt with end-of-life counseling. Because I try to facilitate discussion, I found a link to that section and specified the line at which the relevant section began.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Could be that the senate version doesn't contain the info you want to discuss.
And yet you took exception to me linking to the House version. Called it the "wrong" version. Except that it is the text that many people have been bringing up in town hall meetings.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! I think the Senate version linked already has the language dropped. I could be wrong, but my searches didn't find it.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
And yet you took exception to me linking to the House version. Called it the "wrong" version. Except that it is the text that many people have been bringing up in town hall meetings.
The OP is regarding the Senate dropping the provision.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Grassley actually said this:

"I think the best thing to do is if you want people to think about the end of life, number one, Jesus Christ is the place to start, and after that, in the physical life, as opposed to your eternal life, it ought to be done within the family and considered a religious and ethical issue and not something that politicians deal with,"

So no doctors or healthcare professionals to provide factual information about treatment options, hospice, palliative care. Just Jesus (for everyone...though we're not all Christians) and the family. No wonder so many people have skewed ideas about hospice and so many people have bloody miserable deaths.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
The OP is regarding the Senate dropping the provision.
However, you commented on the language being unclear as a reason people were confused. I linked to text that people are confused about. Text that is pretty clear.

But it's been fun to watch you do anything to avoid discussing specifics.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Well, what does need to be dealt with when talking about what things will be covered [$$$] is what things are covered :)

I'm confident that this was included so that it would be paid for. It was described in detail to show a standardized 'appointment' [my word] that would now be covered [if voted in]. It was a good thing!