Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Strange Horizons, for anyone who doesn't know, is an excellent online SF zine that pays pro rates to writers -- but the content is available to the readers for free. The staff (last time I checked) volunteers their time, energy, and expertise.

Except, of course, nothing is actually free. The internet isn't free, and the stories we love to read are not free. Just like Absolute Write is funded through voluntary subscriptions/donations -- and that's what pays our hosting bills, buys our bandwidth, software, and just generally keeps the lights on, here -- SH has writers, software, domain, and other people to pay.

Here's what they say about their model:
We wanted to be a magazine that encouraged and supported new writers, a home for a new generation of science fiction and fantasy authors who showcase a diverse range of voices and perspectives. We also wanted to be a home for a new generation of readers, readers who want to step outside of the boundaries of traditional genre fiction. We wanted to provide content to our readers free of charge while still paying our contributors professional rates, and we wanted to do all of it while remaining volunteer-staffed and without being dependent on advertisers or corporate interests.

So if it matters to you to have quality online fiction that pays pro rates, and you can afford to kick into their collection cup -- now is the time to ante up. Strange Horizons does an annual fund drive to stay in business (not unlike NPR.)

Even if you're not in a position to donate, please help spread the word.

(And if you aren't reading SH, consider it! There's terrific fiction and nonfiction, both.)

Last edited:

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up!

Nicole

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Strange Horizons is one of my favorite SF/F magazines, online or print. I can't donate because I'm a minor, but I'll try to help spread the word.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Awesome. Thanks, guys - SH is one of my regular stops on the web, too. The SF and essays they publish slot very neatly into my own tastes.

K_Woods

9 of 10 Overlords prefer Evil Pie!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
web.itctel.com
John Scalzi has announced he's matching all donations made today, up to $500. Details here.

Strange Horizons doesn't 'click' with me in particular (but most mags don't -- I think I'm just picky) but I'm still going to talk to the spouse about making a donation. As many venues as have folded this year, we don't need another disappearing :(

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Posted an entry on my blog today about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.