Photo ID needed for town hall, not to vote

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Last night, as soon as I saw the guy was requiring photo ID, the first words out of my mouth, before the tv commentator could even say it, was, "Oh, but not for VOTES."

I completely agree. Totally hypocritical. Which doesn't surprise me in the least.

Susan G.

PS - I did have to present my photo ID in November here in PA to vote in the presidential election. :)

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
When you go to vote, you're already registered, so it's not really the same thing being asked to show ID in both instances. He just said he only wanted constituents there. Do you know another way to make sure of that?

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a "common thread among Democrats," could we see more examples than one Democrat doing this?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
When you go to vote, you're already registered,

How do you prove you're really the person whose name is on the rolls?

so it's not really the same thing being asked to show ID in both instances. He just said he only wanted constituents there. Do you know another way to make sure of that?

But, but, but....he's disenfranchising the poor people who don't HAVE photo ID!!! (Isn't that the refrain we normally hear when it's proposed to make people show photo ID for voting?)

Frankly, I don't have a problem with the guy wanting to make sure it's actually people from his district talking to him/yelling at him in his meeting. But I do think it's a big fat hypocrital thing to do when they don't think something as critical as the actual VOTE should have some safeguards in place as well.

Susan G.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
How do you prove you're really the person whose name is on the rolls?

But, but, but....he's disenfranchising the poor people who don't HAVE photo ID!!! (Isn't that the refrain we normally hear when it's proposed to make people show photo ID for voting?)

Frankly, I don't have a problem with the guy wanting to make sure it's actually people from his district talking to him/yelling at him in his meeting. But I do think it's a big fat hypocrital thing to do when they don't think something as critical as the actual VOTE should have some safeguards in place as well.

They don't have ANY safeguards in place where you live? So any schmoe can just walk in and vote, just because you don't have to show photo ID?

Do they have a registrar of names of people in the district for townhall meetings?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
In California all you have to do is say your name and address. If they find a name that matches, you get to vote as that person.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Around here all you have to do is say your name, if you're on the list they cross you off and hand you a ballot.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Where I live you have to present your voter ID card, and sign the book next to your recorded signature, which they do compare.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I had to show my ID to vote.

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
Usually you just show up. I have no problem with my rep requesting ID. If I'm gonna have to listen to people shouting each other down, I want to know that they are from my district.

Voting - I give my name and address and sign by my name attesting to the fact that I am me. That's how it's always been. If for some reason, my name and address are not on the rolls and I am at the right precinct for my address, I would fill out a provisional ballot which would be checked and counted if valid.

Besides, how much documented wide spread voting fraud is there? Lots of accusations but I can't think of that many cases where there have been trials, much less convictions.