Police apologise for being crap

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and jumping with scissors is even more dangerous, to mix our metaphors. :D

True. But tell me Olympic decathlons or--better yet--relay races wouldn't be way more exciting if scissor-holding was incorporated into these events. Who wouldn't watch that?

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and jumping with scissors is even more dangerous, to mix our metaphors. :D

Careful - the polis'll take those scissors off you. They're all dangerous and stuff ;)

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Well, at present, it's all just a really big "if." I trust Mel and think he's got a good point, but there's no indication of how often it's used or how much (if at all) it compensates for crimes that don't go reported but do involve guns in low income areas. It seems to me you'd have to do a lot more investigating and analysis to really determine what to make of those statistics, as opposed to reading one post, even if it's from a respected member of a great website, and running with it like a reckless man with scissors.
You are right in that more investigation and analysis would be needed to determine what to make of those stats.

But hearing that such a tactic is used would make me wary of some "official" declaring those statistics as unadulterated truth.

Of course, I could be completely off-base.

POPASMOKE

Keep your turns up
Registered
Reaction score
...If the statistics say (for example) between January and April there were 500 gun crimes in Low Income Area "A", but the reality was there were only 100 actual crimes and 400 "false but needed priority" crimes, then such statistics are downright wrong--or at least wildly misleading.

Typically, official criminal statistics are captured monthly by the FBI through what's called Uniform Crime Reporting. Each jurisdiction submits data on types and number of crimes, victims, demographics of victims and perpetrators, age, race, etc. Time of day, day, month. This is all compiled into an annual report which is available to the public.

BTW. Merely calling the police and claiming a gun crime would not make it into this statistic unless subsequently confirmed and justified by the officer's report.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
True. But tell me Olympic decathlons or--better yet--relay races wouldn't be way more exciting if scissor-holding was incorporated into these events. Who wouldn't watch that?
The only way they'll get me to watch the games again is if they add molten lava, sharks, <i>and</i> scissor-holding to all of the events. Especially the winter games.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com