How do I start!!!

SiddFisher

Registered
Reaction score
I've been applying for jobs for about a week now and every job I apply, requires previous work, which I haven't done so I end up sending a new sample written by me at that very moment.
Where do I start? I looked at the Online-writing-job's board and almost all paying jobs require previous work.
Where do I get any work!!!I'm unable to start out, and my head hurts real bad!!
Someone please help!!!!

speel00

Registered
Reaction score
Its harder for non-US based writers to get started(or so I have heard from writers who do not live in the USA). You can post on Associated Content to get a few credits to your name, however you will not get upfront payments since you are not based in the USA. Also you might go on webmaster forums and see if anyone will hire you to do a few gigs to build a name for yourself.

Good luck.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
What is your goal? Do you want to write articles for magazines?
Have you approached your local magazine/s with some article ideas? Have you read Jenna Glatzer's book for freelancers or Kelly James Enger's? Or Writer's Market articles?
They offer a lot of cool tips!

There have also been threads on this here already, do a quick search or look for older posts..

You may write a first article or a few for free, or to be paid later.. It's good to check beforehand if they're cool with the idea (by phone or e-mail).
Once you have a few published credits (clips) - even if for cheap/non-paying markets (hopefully ones with good reputation though) - it will get easier..

SiddFisher

Registered
Reaction score
So you're saying that I should first write for free in local-mags and thus generate clips for myself.
Are you sure people will accept my service even if I have written a few articles in Indian Mags? I don't think so.......but I'll try anyway!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Its harder for non-US based writers to get started(or so I have heard from writers who do not live in the USA). You can post on Associated Content to get a few credits to your name, however you will not get upfront payments since you are not based in the USA. Also you might go on webmaster forums and see if anyone will hire you to do a few gigs to build a name for yourself.

Good luck.

um...i hope Canada is not lumped into that 'harder for non-US writers' comment. i found it extremely easy to break into freelancing. i certainly didn't do it by trolling online gimmick content places that pay peanuts.

i went to local publications...newspapers, magazines, advertorial zines in local papers, etc. even they pay way more than some content sites. i stayed COMPLETELY away from the internet to break into freelancing. if your local paper has insert mags, this is a great market to tap. they'll have the editorial info in the masthead. this is what i did and right away i was getting paid anywhere from $150-$400 for 800 word articles. easy-peasy. and getting in with local editors is a plus...because if you're good you get recurring work. they start to ask you for articles. i would really advise against mamby pamby internet content sites...though some are happy to work for peanuts.

oh...and you shouldn't need experience to get an article assignment. just research your market and query articles you're confident the market will want. if you do it right, they'll bite at your query.

GOOD LUCK!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
So you're saying that I should first write for free in local-mags and thus generate clips for myself.
Are you sure people will accept my service even if I have written a few articles in Indian Mags? I don't think so.......but I'll try anyway!

i guess i'm going against grain here...but i say NEVER WRITE FOR FREE.

Gozzy

Registered
Reaction score
KTC,

I agree 100% with both your posts. There is absolutely no reason to work without pay or to work for publications that screw you on rights or even just pay poorly.

SiddFisher, there's a load of good work out there just waiting for you, if you take a positive approach and act like a professional from the moment you decide to start freelancing. That means setting standards regarding the quality of the work you accept and go after (and constantly looking to raise those standards as you progress).

As for it being harder for non-US based writers, I don't agree. I'm based in Asia and, if anything, that has given me an incredible niche to exploit. Like KTC, it wasn't hard to break into freelancing and the bigger gigs started to come quite quickly once I had broken in. My location helped a lot with that and I think others can use location (India being a great one) to their advantage.

Last edited:

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad a couple of our non-USA based writers chimed in. We had another Indian writer here for a long time, Mridu Khullar. I haven't seen her in awhile, guess she's busy writing, but you can goggle her name to find out more about her.
I think whenever we try something new, something we aren't sure about we see all the obstacles. But really, the obstacles are there for everyone, they just change names. I agree, read everything you can about the business, and remember if you're in it to make money it is a business. Remember, writing is a huge umbrella, decide what type or writing you want to pursue, and it can be more than one. Don't give up, and don't let those pesky obstacles overwhelm you. Good luck.

SiddFisher

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Your words of wisdom have brought new energy in me. I'll take things as they come.
I think I'll write to reader's digest and ask them if I can send in a short story for the Indian edition. If they don't accept, I'll write to some other place.
But if I tell them to pay for my work, I guess they'll hand me back my article and say," Go to Hell!!!"..........or will they.

speel00

Registered
Reaction score
I was only going by what I was told. So I could be wrong! I guess I am just going by what I have seen on sites that have I read from other writer forums ect. However, many content farms do stick with either USA, Canada or U.K. residents. That's another reason why I said that, though many will likely change that as time goes on.

Though you should have no problem finding private clients, as long as you have good writing skills and English.

Sorry if I confused anyone or offended anyone.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, ideally get paid straight away - only write for free or 'on spec' (to be paid later) if it's impossible/difficult to get work otherwise - as a 'last resort', and only for the first article, if needed.

I wrote the first article for our local Slovenian magazine on spec, & then asked if we could arrange for payment, to at least cover expenses etc. (It's a low-paying local mag and mostly intended as a stepping stone, though I like writing for them too)

It may be easier to start with smaller & lower paying magazines..

There are English-language Indian magazines (online too).. Have you checked those? Or Bollywood sites and such? There are English-speaking fans of Bollywood too! etc etc

You can write about India for UK or US magazines etc. (& you can maybe start with smaller & more regional ones too, maybe from cities where a lot of people from India live..? Also look at Asian magazines in English...)

Reader's Digest is quite a big publication, so you'll be lucky to get published there! Did you send your story to Reader's Digest UK or US or India or..? They have different guidelines and payment rates.. (even US and Canada have different rates etc..)

Smaller magazines might give you better chances of publication!
Do you have access to Writer's Market in a library? Lots of info there! Usually it says for every magazine how much they pay & if you need to query with published clips or if they work with new writers & manuscripts are accepted on spec!

Also, if you see your articles in print, even in a small Indian magazine, it may give you energy & will to continue, and your family may see you are serious about this etc!

Last edited:

SiddFisher

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thankful to all of you for helping me find the correct path. I'll try my best and hope that in a few months, I'll be among you guys bragging about my writing:)
I'll pitch an idea with my local newspaper and see if they like my idea on computer hardware. Maybe I can ask them to start a new section in the local mini-magazine about technology.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed, SiddFisher!!

Also know they will more easily buy something that is for their existing categories, so maybe study a few local papers & see what existing category you could write for..
It is quite possible for them to start a new category, it is easier to start with something that is more known and familiar to them, at least in format..

And again, I highly recommend the books I mentioned above, regarding how to write queries and how to present yourself as uniquely qualified for writing the article, etc - I have learnt so much from them, and continue to learn every time I read them!

Best of luck!!