• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jill Grinberg Literary Management

kbax

Refrigerate After Opening
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristophrenia.blogspot.com
Just a note on Anderson Grinberg--they appear to be two separate agencies now, as I discovered when doing agent research.
And another note on Ms. Anderson: I e-queried her over a week ago, and to my chagrin just now noticed a "verification" in my spam folder, asking me to reply to verify that I was not a spammer. Just another reminder to check your spam folders carefully--I almost didn't open it!

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, kbax, apparently they have splintered. Jill Grinberg in March asked for my novel, or at least a part of it, and then, I think, asked for the rest. She responded within a week--she was going abroad--and on her return said:

Dear Gerry,

Thank you for sharing the novel with me, I read with pleasure but ultimately did not fall in love so will step aside as you hone in on the right agent for the work. I wish you the very best in finding the right home for the book and much appreciate your thinking of me.

Yours,

Jill Grinberg

I think Kathleen Anderson asked for the novel as well, I don't remember now, and didn't like it very much if I remember. Jill Grinberg is charming.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
I mailed Jill Grinberg a query & first 50 pages on 07/17 and got back a personalized (with my name, address & book title) rejection printed out on very nice stationary on 07/30. Not bad turnaround, considering first-50 pgs is in her standard query guidelines.

Anyway, I was wondering if this standard for her or if I was lucky to get one of the "good enough to not get the ugly form letter" letters. Anyone?

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
I got a rejection from her in April. My spreadsheet says only "rejection," but then I'm a "rejection is a rejection" kind of guy, so I don't note letterhead, name use, stationary quality, etc. on my spreadsheet. It took 27 days, if that tells you anything. E-query w/50 pages and synopsis.

Jake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jseliger.com
Jill Grinberg still around?

I found Jill Grinberg in the 2008 Guide to Literary Agents but can't find much else about her. Her site at http://www.grinbergliterary.com doesn't inspire confidence, ("Please visit this site later; under construction. copyright ©2006") and I'm going to skip her unless someone chimes in with a strong reason not to.

DavidRose

Registered
Reaction score
Jill Grinberg has represented me for more than ten years, in which time she has sold three of my books. I have come to know her as a person of exceptional judgement and integrity, and if she believes in a book, no one could possibly try harder to sell it, even if its commercial potential is relatively limited. And she's always a supportive and friendly voice at the end of the phone and fun to hang out with on visits to New York. Ok, if ICM or Andrew Wiley is your thang, that's not what she is. But if you're looking for a bespoke, classy, boutique agent, what more could you possibly want?

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
I found Jill Grinberg in the 2008 Guide to Literary Agents but can't find much else about her. Her site at http://www.grinbergliterary.com doesn't inspire confidence, ("Please visit this site later; under construction. copyright ©2006") and I'm going to skip her unless someone chimes in with a strong reason not to.

This is a little late for Jake, but Jill Grinberg repped the "Uglies" series. As a YA writer, that's some serious cred to me!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure why there's not a separate thread for Jill Grinberg's agency. Agency looks great and reps some pretty good authors, so I knew the agency was fine. Evan Goldfried has had my full for a month, but I still can't find much info on him. Anyone have any experiences with turn around time or know of sales specific to him. He worked at WMA and at William Clark Associates before, but there's only one brief mention of him in the WMA thread.

Last edited:

claena

Heather Petty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
heatherwpetty.com
I'm not sure why there's not a separate thread for Jill Grinberg's agency. Agency looks great and reps some pretty good authors, so I knew the agency was fine. Evan Goldfried has had my full for a month, but I still can't find much info on him. Anyone have any experiences with turn around time or know of sales specific to him. He worked at WMA and at William Clark Associates before, but there's only one brief mention of him in the WMA thread.

I actually spoke to Evan on the phone before I signed with my current agent. He's brilliant and insightful and really easy to talk to. He's also got the backing of an amazing agency.

In the end, he and I didn't agree on the direction of my book, but I really think any writer would be more than lucky to have him as an agent. Highly, HIGHLY recommended by me.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com

He was with WMA for about 5 years before moving to Grinberg early May. He's had my full for 4 months. I originally queried him at WMA and he took MS with him to Grinberg. Time for a status check, I guess.

Last edited:

F.F.

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, since you guys seem to have had some personal dealings with the agents in question (Jill Grinberg and Evan Goldfried) I come seeking advice.

I have a YA crossover fantasy title, revolving around Greek mythology, magic, big monsters, larger than life super hero style action and I'm wondering who it would be better sent to? Jill or Evan? I don't want to burn bridges by shooting it out to both, but since they kind of overlap in repping this department, what sayeth y'all?

Thanks,
F.F.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You might check agentquery.com, which has a really detailed description of what Evan is looking for from YA fantasy. If it meets that description, consider: Jill doesn't accept e-queries, Evan does. Jill has an easy to find record of sales, Evan's record is hard to find.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I actually spoke to Evan on the phone before I signed with my current agent. He's brilliant and insightful and really easy to talk to. He's also got the backing of an amazing agency.

In the end, he and I didn't agree on the direction of my book, but I really think any writer would be more than lucky to have him as an agent. Highly, HIGHLY recommended by me.

He was with WMA for about 5 years before moving to Grinberg early May. He's had my full for 4 months. I originally queried him at WMA and he took MS with him to Grinberg. Time for a status check, I guess.
Thanks, guys, this is the kind of info I was looking for.

Although I'd love to find out what YA contemp fantasy books he's sold, if any.

F.F.

Registered
Reaction score
Blargh,

Sage, that doesn't make it easier at all. The waters keep getting muddier all around me and I'm just standing still.

I'm fairly certain that she does accept e-queries, but snail mail is preferred. According to the publishers marketplace page-

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/JillGrin/

Please send a query letter and the first 50 pages (fiction) or proposal (non-fiction). All submissions will be read, but snail mail is preferred. If you are sending an e-query please attach the first 50 pages or proposal as a .doc.

And something to the same effect is written on their agency webpage, which is pretty, but a little non-functional.

http://www.grinbergliterary.com/

The question isn't whether e-query is the way to go, but which e-mail addy to use... info at grinbergliterary dot com or their personalized one on the publishers marketplace page?

Plus I still don't know who to send my work to.

*sigh*

F.F.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The webpage wasn't working when I was querying them.

I sent to EG's personal e-mail when I queried, which must have been on AQ too (I'm feeling lazy and not looking it up ;))

F.F.

Registered
Reaction score
Well let me know how it goes and if you get any personal feedback. My fingers are crossed for you.

F.F.

staley717

Registered
Reaction score
Jill Grinberg Literary Agency

FYI - not much on here written on Water Cooler about this agency. Wanted to share my experience as of today.

Sent Query letter and 50 pages as stated on website 8/10. Enclosed my SASE with correct postage to return my materials.

Got my SASE back already today on 8/15. NO MATERIALS WERE RETURNED.

All of this seems very fishy to me!!!!!!!!

Any thoughts??

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Now I know there's a shiny new thread on this agency about a page back.

Doesn't seem too fishy really. They probably just form rejected it and didn't think about returning the materials. Especially if you sent a #10 SASE instead of a big envelope. #10 is what I've been sending because I don't care if they toss or recycle my materials or whatever.

staley717

Registered
Reaction score
No. It IS fishy!

I sent 50 pages in a LARGE envelope. I sent it out on 8/10. It would take a day or so to get there right? So you figure it was opened up by the 12th or 13th? I ALREADY got back the note in my LARGE return envelope. They did not read ANYTHING!

And the website is really not functional!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Disposable samples are the standard these days. The intern who looked at your submission probably assumed you didn't want it back.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of big authors with this agency.

I got a rejection with a very quick turn around for 30 pages snail mail for another big, reputable agency the other day. Yeah, it stung. There wasn't even a single agent's name on the form reject, there was simply a circle around "proposal" (as in "query/proposal/manuscript"). It's just that they form rejected you and sent it back as soon as possible to get to the next query. There's no point in reading anything into a form rejection except that it was a rejection.

staley717

Registered
Reaction score
If an agency is professional and "big" they should have a good working website.

I am finding out a lot on the internet about agents.

There used to be a thread on this particular agency, but people closed it down.

Ya just don't know what is going on out there. I submitted to Firebrand about a week and a half ago and got a R letter. A few days later I find out they shut their doors! See what I mean?

I am new to all this and it's definitely pretty interesting to say the least! If someone is smart...they will pick me up. I have tons to say. LOL!