Question about emigrating from 19th Century Ireland.

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
My story, set in the 1850s, includes an Irishman sentenced to seven years transportation for stealing, and his wife and children accompanying him on the ship.

As I understand things, in such cases the British Government would pay half the family’s fare.

I need to have the wife visit the local English government representative to apply for this assistance. But I cannot find a title for either the official or the office. If I simply write “English government representative” it looks amateurish.

I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions about where I might go to obtain this detail.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Er, excuse me but...

this is not my era but weren't the assisted passages to Australia only available for a short time, 1849 -1851/2 as a result of the Great Famine and only to 'decent' families.

If your chappy is being transported as a criminal would his family receive assisted passage?

As Ireland was being governed by the British at this time would she go to the local Magistrate or JP if she was in the country and to the local govt/town hall in the city?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I think the local official was the 'Resident Magistrate', refered to as the RM

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Ah, what an interesting subject :D

I believe the name of the place in England was called the Home Office where such applications were made. They were mainly done there as the CLEC (see below) did not always allow the transportation of wifes and children.

At least between the years of 1819 - 1849, (I am not sure of all years for Irish wives located in Ireland) wives of convicts could request to be shipped to Australia, although some may have come on the same ships as their husbands, some came out after their husbands were granted Ticket of Leaves, or were given their freedom.

I know there were schemes for Irish wives to meet up with their convict husbands in Australia in at least in the late 1840s, which the cost was partly met by the colonial government - a rule they had relaxed because of the famines.

Look UP CLEC – Colonial Land and Emigration Commission

The transportation of wives was encourage from within Australia throughout the settlement at various times.

Transporting of convicts to Australia was formally abolished in 1868 although it had basically stopped by 1857, with rare occurrences of transportation in the few years prior to 1857.

So you will need to look carefully at your time line.

I would suggest you go to the library and engross yourself on non-fiction books about this issue, of which there is a wealth of information to be found in them. Although I can’t recall any by name, there are many written specifically about the Irish in Australia and how they got here.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I just realised you say you are in outback Australia, so maybe a library is not that easy to get to.

Google will be your friend if do it enough.

Here is a couple of links to get you going.

THE EMIGRATION OF IRISH WOMEN IN THE NINETEENTH CENTURY: AN ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY http://www.mith2.umd.edu/WomensStudies/Bibliographies/19c-irish-women

Irish Women in Colonial Australia
http://books.google.com.au/books?id...esult&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false
You might be surprised at the number of people in other parts of the world who blithely make suggestions based on living within cooee of a big city.

Actually I’m not all that far off the beaten track. We do have a library, although it’s only small, and so much stuff has to come in on inter-library loan or from the State Library in Brissie. So I depend on Google a lot and hope for the best.

What I find happens constantly is that I spend about 98% of my time on research and 2% on writing. I have to do something about that or this book will never be finished. I’m too old.

In the case of my present question it will all come down to only a brief passing reference to the character applying for assisted passage and also for the help of charity with the remainder of the fare. I might take a chance and simply have her go to the local RM and then let that worthy start crossing the Ts and dotting the Is. And I can invent a charitable order – it’s fiction after all – and not risk insulting the Little Sisters of the Poor. In real life I can be vague and ambiguous, so I should be able to transfer that skill to my writing, and hopefully no one will ever twig that I don’t know what I’m talking about.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Although I only live 2 1/2 hours from Sydney I have the same issue with the library here. And normally the books I want, I can't get unless I go to the National or State Library which is not an option. A lot of the books are in collections, and I can't even pay to have them sent up here and loaned, and the only way I can pay a researcher is if, I know what I am looking for - when usually, I'm not totally sure myself.

You will be safe if you mention the Home Office. It is still called that.

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
But was it called the Home Office way back when? That's what I'll need to research.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If you take a moment to browse online the previous links I gave you, they will steer you in the direction for further research. The Home Office and the CLEC – Colonial Land and Emigration Commission is refered to in any Australian non-fictional work covering this period and subject.

Last edited:

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to remember you when it comes to the Acknowledgements page.

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
You don't need to worry. Mine isn't about Irish convicts, per se. That's only the backstory. The main story is set in the here and now. ;)