• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Worldcon / World Science Fiction Society

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I just got back from Worldcon where I had the pleasure of sitting in on a panel led by our own Uncle Jim, and by two editors, Teresa Nielsen Hayden and Ginjer Buchanan. It was awesome and Absolute Write was mentioned as a good place to hang out for writers! The only reason I posted it here was because the topic had to do with what writers need to know to avoid being scammed. Good stuff.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
So you're saying your experience with Worldcon was a positive one, and it's not something to be avoided? ;)

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
lol - absolutely. It was actually my first convention ever and I was amazed at how friendly everyone was. Plus it's amazing to see so many editors and writers up close.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
And hey, it's in Australia next year. I might just go.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, WorldCon rocks. But I won't be going to Australia unless I bag a big advance before next year.

;P

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Might I also suggest any of the regional SF literary conventions held around the country? Even if you're not writing SF, you should consider going for the writing panels. The mechanics of the query letter, the submissions process, tips on character development and so on are fairly consistent across genres.

You'll also get to converse, confer, and otherwise hobnob with your fellow writers. Always a good thing.