Talk about the kidlit you're reading!

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Hoping to get this thread going a bit more again. So in the last two weeks I've read all three released books of Five Kingdoms by Brandon Mull. I had enjoyed his Fablehaven books a bit, but these books have REALLY made me a fan of his. Him and Jonathan Auxier (Night Gardener and Peter Nimbler author) are probably my two favorite MG authors at this point. Highly recommend Five Kingdoms for anyone that hasn't read it yet. Starting the fourth book today (fifth book comes out in March 2017!).

Have had an itch for some MG steampunk and was curious if anyone had some recommendations.

I'll also take a recommendation for a MG sci-fi book as well!

Last edited:

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
I picked up a couple books this week, first time in quite a while. Bought 'Cogheart' and 'Mortal Engines' as I felt I needed to read a children's steampunk novel to see how it compared to what I want to write, and added the first Redwall book to that collection because I love those books :) Also reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, and The Mysterious Benedict Society as I was kindly sent the latter as part of a boxset by Laura :)

So, Playground: Cogheart and Mortal Engines for Steampunk! As for MG sci-fi, I'm not so sure...

Last edited:

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I know it is YA, but just about to finish up Maze Runner. I am unfortunately not crazy over it. Probably won't finish the rest of the series. I don't know, there is just a tad too much like angst and such for me.

writbeyondmeasure

Registered
Reaction score
I've been enjoying the Penelope Perfect series by Chrissie Perry. I find the MC very relatable even though these books are aimed at early readers/lower MG and I am a tad older than that.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Just read A Sprinkle of Magic. Spindiddley writing though I felt the story dragged a tad. Quite enjoyable still though.

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
Listening to The Wild Robot by Peter Brown, which I had seen on several top ten lists for 2016. I am about halfway through. It's a well told story, and I can see the appeal to younger readers, though it is not nearly as original a concept as some reviewers have suggested. But that's okay--novelty for novelty's sake is a bit over-rated anyway.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I just want to say that part of the joy of THE WILD ROBOT is Peter's artwork, so hopefully maybe pop into a store and just flip through the book to see it as well :) . He made his start in picture books.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Natalie Lloyd's second book: The Key to Extraordinary. I liked it a lot, much much more than her first book (which was great to begin with). The gripe I had with her first book was a tad on the pacing as I felt it just dragged a little. Her second book didn't feel like that at all. Can't recommend her enough for others to try.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read The Secrets of the Pied Piper series? Curious how it is.

ALSO, got the most wicked Christmas gift from the parents. They bought me a giant book that has 13 of Dr. Seuss's beautiful stories and some essays I believe about him. Incredibly excited to read through it.

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read The Secrets of the Pied Piper series? Curious how it is.

Is that the one whose first book (and, to the best of my knowledge, only book so far published) was called "The Peddler's Road"? Or something else? (I know "The Peddler's Road" does feature the Pied Piper.)

Captivatedlife

Registered
Reaction score
I never read the Percy Jackson books so I am working my way through the first one. I don't think *I* love it even though I'll continue to recommend it when asked "What should my child read!" I can see why kids like it!

I am reading and LOVING the Septimus Heap series. I love the magical, FUN quality to the book. It is fantastical but very well described.

I want to read the Magic Thief and this one is ya, but I am really looking forward to reading Caraval!

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
This isn't kidlit, but it's so linked to it that I thought it'd be appropriate here. I'd like to recommend "Every Heart a Doorway" by Seanan McGuire, which I've just read. It's a beautiful story about what happens to children in portal fantasies once they return home.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't kidlit, but it's so linked to it that I thought it'd be appropriate here. I'd like to recommend "Every Heart a Doorway" by Seanan McGuire, which I've just read. It's a beautiful story about what happens to children in portal fantasies once they return home.

I second this; it's a lovely book.

Captivatedlife

Registered
Reaction score
I love Seanan McGuire - I will have to try that one. I added it to my goodreads!

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading the 2nd book of the SCHOOL FOR GOOD AND EVIL series and I'm enjoying how the author is deconstructing preconceptions about boys and girls just like he did with good and evil in the first book. The author is a genius. And next on the reading list is THE CANDYMAKERS since I think it will be a good comp title for my cooking contest story.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Read Wonder, The Uncommoners: The Crooked Sixpence, and Dragonwatch: A Fablehaven Adventure this week. All were fun but absolutely LOVED Dragonwatch. Read it in two days. Brandon Mull has become one of my favorite authors.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Thief's Apprentice (Master Diplexito and Mr. Scant). It was okay. Not a massive fan on it. Don't think I'll continue the series. Recently also purchased Creativity Inc. (basically a story about Pixar) and Accidental Hero (A Jack Black Adventure Book 1).

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Finished the Accidental Hero. Wasn't crazy over it, but overall it was cool.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Finished book eight of A Series of Unfortunate Events. I am happy we finally seem to be edging towards learning a bit more about VFD and the fire and all.

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished THE CANDYMAKERS. Absolutely brilliant. It reminded me a lot of HOLES, with seemingly random plot threads getting tied together beautifully in the end. Delightful from beginning to end. Can't wait to see what the sequel is like.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished THE CANDYMAKERS. Absolutely brilliant. It reminded me a lot of HOLES, with seemingly random plot threads getting tied together beautifully in the end. Delightful from beginning to end. Can't wait to see what the sequel is like.

That sounds interesting; I'll have to check it out.

Just finished the ninth book in A Series of Unfortunate Events. Plan to try and knock out 10 and 11 by the end of the week.

NicoleScripting

Registered
Reaction score

Just put a hold on this book at the library. I loved the writing style in Holes.

J.S.Fairey

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to start THE GIRL OF INK AND STARS, Waterstones's childrens book of the year. Literally read three pages, but it's been a good three pages :p I'm partly reading it because I'm thinking of submitting to the agent who repped the book and I'm trying to see how I'd fit in with her list

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Reading FAIR WEATHER by Richard Peck.