Talk about the kidlit you're reading!

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
I love Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix. It's one of a very few number of middle grade and young adult novels on my shelf. (I'm sure I'd have more if there were room but most of these books are in storage.)

I return to this novel at least one a year.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Finished book 12 and 13 and thus the series. I enjoyed it, though I felt like at one point Snicket was just adding more mystery to add mystery though I appreciate the thought of there always being more questions with each answer. Also finished the Creativity book written by the founder of Pixar. Really interesting.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
I got tired of the SOUE books around Book 8 or 9 for pretty much the same reason; it just felt like he was going through the numbers to fill out the series. Thought I AM a huge fan of the Netflix series, and can't wait for more.

Finished book 12 and 13 and thus the series. I enjoyed it, though I felt like at one point Snicket was just adding more mystery to add mystery though I appreciate the thought of there always being more questions with each answer. Also finished the Creativity book written by the founder of Pixar. Really interesting.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I got tired of the SOUE books around Book 8 or 9 for pretty much the same reason; it just felt like he was going through the numbers to fill out the series. Thought I AM a huge fan of the Netflix series, and can't wait for more.

I will say, around book eight he finally seemed to be saying more about the actual story. I would suggest finishing it since you got that far. It does have some pretty cool lore honestly. Plus they are real quick reads.

remister

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Claire Fayers' Voyage to Magical North. LOVE IT!
Great character arcs with adventure and magic.

Can't wait to get my hands on the second book.

remister

Registered
Reaction score
I'm several years late to this book: When You Reach Me.

OMG OMG OMG. That's it. I'm done. It's one of those books that after you read it, you just have to wallow in a pool of your own pathetic inadequacy for a bit.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Not MG books but finally got around to reading IT and the first Dresden Files book. I've heard Dresden Files changes a tad later in the series. Was hoping to see if it got better or so. I didn't hate the first book, it was enjoyable, but it kind of felt like a Patterson novel (new villain every book type of thing) with magic. Reading Warbreaker by Sanderson right now.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Remister, I read When you reach me a few years back and yes, I understand how you feel. Pretty amazing writing. Makes me want to go back an re-read.

remister

Registered
Reaction score
Remister, I read When you reach me a few years back and yes, I understand how you feel. Pretty amazing writing. Makes me want to go back an re-read.

Her Liar and Spy is good, too. But not as puddle-of-inadequacy-inducing as When You Reach Me.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Read Scythe by Neal Shusterman. Was okay. Apparently it is going to be a series. Interested to see how it will grow. The first book was a tad too slow-paced for me and I feel more should have happened.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Not MG books but finally got around to reading IT and the first Dresden Files book. I've heard Dresden Files changes a tad later in the series. Was hoping to see if it got better or so. I didn't hate the first book, it was enjoyable, but it kind of felt like a Patterson novel (new villain every book type of thing) with magic. Reading Warbreaker by Sanderson right now.

I have the first book, still need to finish it. And hey, if we're talking about non-MG series that change ridiculously further in, Dresden Files can't be as insane as the Dexter books! If anyone's read them, they'll know what I mean ;)

As for what I'm reading, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Skulduggery Pleasant and The Mysterious Benedict Society are currently doing the round on my bedside cabinet :D

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone reading (or have read recently) any good Upper MG Fantasy books?

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Bought Afterlife Academy but couldn't really get into it unfortunately.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Read (though didn't finish for time) the ARC for First Rule of Punk by Celia Cruz. 12 y/o Mexican-American punk rocker and zine-maker, super positive and cute and coming out in October.

Also, Playground, for MG fantasy:

-Any Kelly Barnhill
-Bartimaeus
-Emerald Atlas
-The Tapestry
-Cold Cereal
-False Prince
-The Riverman (very different from the others, YMMV but a favorite of mine)

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Read (though didn't finish for time) the ARC for First Rule of Punk by Celia Cruz. 12 y/o Mexican-American punk rocker and zine-maker, super positive and cute and coming out in October.

Also, Playground, for MG fantasy:

-Any Kelly Barnhill
-Bartimaeus
-Emerald Atlas
-The Tapestry
-Cold Cereal
-False Prince
-The Riverman (very different from the others, YMMV but a favorite of mine)

I'll check them out! I'm reading Howl's Moving Castle right now. False Prince will probably be the next one I try. EVERYONE recommends that one. Feel like I'm missing out on something lol.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Finished the False Prince. I enjoyed it. Wasn''t HUGE on the twist but I'll go onto the second book as it was such a fun book to read.

remister

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Candymakers.
Also read an old book... Silent to The Bone by E L Konigsburg.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Just started The Adventurer's Guide to Successful Escapes

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that was a fun one! Hope you enjoy it!

If you haven't tried Platte F. Clarke's Bad Unicorn, you might give that one a try, too - similar humor, IMHO.

I'm not as crazy about it as I thought I would be. I'm just shy of about 40% through and I'm kind of not feeling how they have gotten out of a few things. Without wanting to spoil it for others, it just seems a tad too convenient and deus ex machina to me. I don't know.

The writing is good, though I notice I much prefer like a Jonathan Auxier prose it looks like (i.e. more serious). I am enjoying this story just those are my only small qualms with it.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Adventurer's Guide to Successful Escapes. I understood the tropes it was trying to have fun with, just never connected with the writing/story.

Also read the False Prince trilogy. LOVED the first two books. Third one was...meh. It felt like we were too much in Jaron's head and a lot of it felt like she was explaining what happened instead of letting us experience it.

Started The Martian.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Also read the False Prince trilogy. LOVED the first two books. Third one was...meh. It felt like we were too much in Jaron's head and a lot of it felt like she was explaining what happened instead of letting us experience it.

I only read the first one. Still, False Prince has been far and away the most popular MG (YA-ish?) fantasy I've seen in a long time, at least with without an MC who's name ends in 'otter' or 'ackson' (or whatever those Land of Stories kids names were).

I'm kind of obsessed with Harriet Hamster Princess right now. Ursula Vernon is amazing, and I loved Castle Hangnail (and it's got some good messages about friendship and bullying you don't hear enough). But Harriet is better. She's kind of a jerkass, and always too school with everything she does. Plus, she's dangerously genre saavy, but so is everyone else in her fantasy universe, so it doesn't always work out for her. Did I mention she rides a Battle Quail, who is also a knight in his own right?

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I only read the first one. Still, False Prince has been far and away the most popular MG (YA-ish?) fantasy I've seen in a long time, at least with without an MC who's name ends in 'otter' or 'ackson' (or whatever those Land of Stories kids names were).

I'm kind of obsessed with Harriet Hamster Princess right now. Ursula Vernon is amazing, and I loved Castle Hangnail (and it's got some good messages about friendship and bullying you don't hear enough). But Harriet is better. She's kind of a jerkass, and always too school with everything she does. Plus, she's dangerously genre saavy, but so is everyone else in her fantasy universe, so it doesn't always work out for her. Did I mention she rides a Battle Quail, who is also a knight in his own right?

I'm going to try The Land of Stories books next. I read the first one years ago. It was good but never read anymore. They seem to have caught on like wildfire. I'm going to give the rest a shot.

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
Just started UPSIDE DOWN MAGIC and, if the first chapter is any indication, I'm going to enjoy it quite a bit. More books should start with the main character attempting to turn into a kitten.

Also I absolutely love the voice. I think this might be my favorite MG voice of all the books I've read so far.

Last edited: