• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jason Aronson Publishers, Inc.

WriteSuzyWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to share an incident that happened to me in my pursuit of an academic publisher for a book idea that could serve students as a recommended text or professionals in the field. After sending the proposal, the acquisitions editor asked for a little more information -- classes in which the book would be used, professional organizations for marketing, etc. -- and I was so happy to share : ) A week or two later, I receive an email from the ed letting me know that the publisher is going to mail me an offer to publish the book. Happy dance, etc. The offer & contract arrive -- they would LOVE to publish the book, but economic times being what they are, they need the authors to cough up the money to typeset the book, at approximately $5 a page!! Insult continues -- royalties not to start until 1000 books had been sold.

Needless to say, I had to pass on the offer -- economic times being what they are at my own home!! Happy ending -- 2 weeks later, another publisher offers a contract, gives me 2 more months than I had stated I'd need to complete the book, and offers royalties as decent as any in the academic world! Gee, they'll even typeset the book for free. Who'd thunk?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Which publisher was this?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
There are some academic subsidy publishers out there, whose books are acquired by university libraries and count in tenure processes, etc., but who require a financial commitment from the author.

This is called "subvention" and most large research universities have funds to help their professors pay these costs, as you see in, for instance, this page from UC San Diego.

I'm glad that you were able to find a press that would publish your book without subvention!

This is an interesting article from April of this year about subventions.

WriteSuzyWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the links -- very interesting and useful information. My own univ. has traditionally focused on teaching as its primary mission. However, they are trying to move it to a more research oriented environment, but whereas the expectations regarding scholarly work have grown, financial/resource support has not. But after reading the links you shared, it seems like Jason Aronson Publishing is following the path of traditional, highly respected university presses.

Thanks!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything about that particular press, so will refrain from commenting, but just wanted to point out that a request for subvention is not necessarily a red flag from an academic press. (The idea here is that it's an investment in your eventual tenure, which will pay you back in the concomitant raise in salary; also, many research universities do pay at least part of the subvention.)

For anyone who is going to pay a subvention, you should only do it for a press whose books your university's librarians regularly purchase. Ask the librarians what they think of the presses you're considering--they will tell you.