AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Acacia House Publishing Services (Bill & Frances Hanna)

Learning to read more, post less

[Agency] Acacia House Publishing Services (Bill & Frances Hanna)

Anyone know anything about Frances Hanna of Acacia House Publishing Services?

I get the impression she is reputable but am not able to find out much about her. She has some mentions in Publisher's Marketplace but I have to be a paid subscriber to see what exactly she has sold, whether she has sold to big publishers, and has sold to American publishers.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar
    Nothing in google book search showing up.

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

A further search of "Acacia House Publishing Services" in Google Book Search shows them being listed in a whack of writer's reference books including The Canadian Writer's Market dating back to the 80's, but I don't see them associated with any author's books anywhere.

My Website. Twitter.

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Searching for Ms. Hanna in Google books finds novels, memoirs, and non-fiction with W.W. Norton, Macmillan, and Stackpole.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Searching for Ms. Hanna in Google books finds novels, memoirs, and non-fiction with W.W. Norton, Macmillan, and Stackpole.

Oh she agented for Helen Humphreys Coventry... that is one HELL of a book.

My Website. Twitter.

Learning to read more, post less
    Thanks a lot, guys. yes she seems quite reputable.

practical experience, FTW
    Anyone had any direct dealings with Acacia House or know if they've sold anything?
    If you live in or around Calgary, Alberta Canada and are looking for a supportive writing group, send me a PM.
    We also have sister chapters in a couple different cities in Saskatchewan.

I found this on http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/201...ent-dies-at-67

A literary agent and translator, with more than 40 years of international experience in the book publishing field, died on Saturday at Brantford General Hospital.
    Frances Hanna was 67.

Mrs. Hanna was managing director of Acacia House Publishing Services Ltd., headquartered in Brantford since 2006.
    Last edited by F.L.N; 09-23-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Agency looks to be still active. Here's their Fall '12 rights catalog (.pdf) for the range of their clients and interests.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

TWENTY-TWO A DAY auntypsychotic's Avatar
    "Reputable" may be a relative term. Acacia may have been at one time but I just checked their website and found the following: EMPHASIS ADDED

"Acacia Publishing offers authors an intimate and accessible approach to the publishing industry. We have positioned ourselves in the niche between a publisher for hire and a publisher in the more traditional sense. Although we are a small house, we pride ourselves on our diversity of titles and on the exceptional editing skills of our talented staff. If you have a manuscript, we have the skills to bring your project to life. Unlike a traditional publishing house, we do not purchase manuscripts for publication at our expense. Instead, we assist authors in bringing their work to life on a schedule and budget they prefer. Traditional publishers allow authors little creative control over their own manuscripts and may take years to bring a book to market. Acacia Publishing is able to fast-forward that process. Unlike many vanity presses, however, Acacia Publishing offers authors an option for publishing that is both affordable and professional. You remain in complete control of both your manuscript and the quantity of books that you want to print. We also provide options for editing, marketing, and distribution so that your project can be profitable to you.

At Acacia Publishing we provide authors with their choice of the following services:

Editing
    Cover Design
    Book Layout
    Distribution (via Book Clearing House, Ingram, Baker & Taylor, and amazon.com)
    Advertising
    Public Relations
    Using one or more of these services does not obligate an author to use any of the others; they are all available "a la carte" and entirely at the author's discretion.
    "

Also on their homepage the announce a writing contest:
    "ANNOUNCING the SECOND ANNUAL
    Autobiography/Biography/Memoir
    Writing Contest

The winning book will be published prior to the 2015 holiday season,
    and the author will receive a 10% royalty on all sales.
    "

The entry fee is $75.00 by check or credit card.
    DO NOT VISIT THE CONTEST RULES PAGE UNLESS YOU WANT
    TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AND/OR INTERNET CONNECTION .

Isn't that a different outfit? Acacia Publishing vs Acacia House Publishing.

Quote Originally Posted by auntypsychotic View Post
    "Reputable" may be a relative term. Acacia may have been at one time but I just checked their website and found the following: EMPHASIS ADDED

"Acacia Publishing offers authors an intimate and accessible approach to the publishing industry. We have positioned ourselves in the niche between a publisher for hire and a publisher in the more traditional sense. Although we are a small house, we pride ourselves on our diversity of titles and on the exceptional editing skills of our talented staff. If you have a manuscript, we have the skills to bring your project to life. Unlike a traditional publishing house, we do not purchase manuscripts for publication at our expense. Instead, we assist authors in bringing their work to life on a schedule and budget they prefer. Traditional publishers allow authors little creative control over their own manuscripts and may take years to bring a book to market. Acacia Publishing is able to fast-forward that process. Unlike many vanity presses, however, Acacia Publishing offers authors an option for publishing that is both affordable and professional. You remain in complete control of both your manuscript and the quantity of books that you want to print. We also provide options for editing, marketing, and distribution so that your project can be profitable to you.

At Acacia Publishing we provide authors with their choice of the following services:

Editing
    Cover Design
    Book Layout
    Distribution (via Book Clearing House, Ingram, Baker & Taylor, and amazon.com)
    Advertising
    Public Relations
    Using one or more of these services does not obligate an author to use any of the others; they are all available "a la carte" and entirely at the author's discretion.
    "

Also on their homepage the announce a writing contest:
    "ANNOUNCING the SECOND ANNUAL
    Autobiography/Biography/Memoir
    Writing Contest

The winning book will be published prior to the 2015 holiday season,
    and the author will receive a 10% royalty on all sales.
    "

The entry fee is $75.00 by check or credit card.
    DO NOT VISIT THE CONTEST RULES PAGE UNLESS YOU WANT
    TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AND/OR INTERNET CONNECTION .

Correct. Acacia House Publishing Services Ltd. (which has no website) is a literary agency based in Ontario, Canada. Acacia Publishing, Inc. is a vanity publisher out of Arizona.
    ICAO
    ---------