Bill Clinton Heading to N. Korea for Talks on Jailed Reporters

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
SEOUL, South Korea - Former U.S. President Bill Clinton is heading to North Korea for negotiations to secure the freedom of two detained American journalists, a news report said Tuesday, nearly five months after they were seized on the China border.

Clinton is on his way to Pyongyang, the North Korean capital, where he will try to win the release of Laura Ling and Euna Lee, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported, citing an unidentified high-level source.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32277010/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

News reports are stating a deal is done and he will be returning with both journalists.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I hope he succeeds. I didn't read the linky, was it an official trip or did he just go on his own? I hope he at least touched base with the SecState first. :)

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
Kim Jong Il prepares for beer summit with President Clinton

LiveLeak-dot-com-197410-NorthKorean.jpg

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
According to latest news

The two journalists have been released to Clinton.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's quite amazing, really. I hope there isn't the usual cynical criticism to go with a job well done. Thank you, Mr. Clinton. Well done, very well done. . . . .

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i'm glad he was able to secure the release of the americans.

i do wonder what he had to promise in order to make it happen. if he was able to simply instill in the dear leader that he was treading on seriously thin ice, then bravo.

if he undermined US positions, then that's not good.

if the obama administration sent him to play good cop to hillary's bad cop, then that's the way politics goes. i just hope it was not designed in such a way that it weakened the american position.

officially, however, the white house has denied any role, which is something of a headscratcher, since obama's comments on the imprisonment of the american citizens was met with flaccid "disappointment" and the big dog goes there "privately", swoops in for a day and secures their release.

the big loser in all this, of course, is al gore.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i'm glad he was able to secure the release of the americans.

i do wonder what he had to promise in order to make it happen. if he was able to simply instill in the dear leader that he was treading on seriously thin ice, then bravo.

if he undermined US positions, then that's not good.

if the obama administration sent him to play good cop to hillary's bad cop, then that's the way politics goes. i just hope it was not designed in such a way that it weakened the american position.

officially, however, the white house has denied any role, which is something of a headscratcher, since obama's comments on the imprisonment of the american citizens was met with flaccid "disappointment" and the big dog goes there "privately", swoops in for a day and secures their release.

the big loser in all this, of course, is al gore.
Clinton as in Bill and Obama as in Barack are hardly friends. I think it was as simple as getting a nut his fifteen minutes of undeserved respect. The pattern is clear. He got it; we got the Americans. Clinton did well. . . .

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it's naive to think that an american citizen, even an ex-president, can just jet over to the DPRK without clearance from the state department. obama is giving himself plausible deniability.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Clinton as in Bill and Obama as in Barack are hardly friends. I think it was as simple as getting a nut his fifteen minutes of undeserved respect. The pattern is clear. He got it; we got the Americans. Clinton did well. . . .

Yes,

North Korea only has one commodity.

Instability.

TO my knowledge, they don't have any main exports that bolster their economy.

They really are a pain in the ass and will keep being a pain in the ass because, well, that is their commodity. Every few years they start something and then we (the west) swoops in and makes a deal. There is some peace, then after a while the cycle starts over again.

*sigh*

This was nothing special, just part of their never ending cycle.

Mel...

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I thank God that the two journalists are released. I heard last night Bill was headed there and said my prayers the right outcome. A great thing came from this, that's how I see it.

one could argue, however, that thousands, perhaps millions, more north koreans could die of starvation, be executed, or replace these girls in the labor camps owing to the breathing room clinton might have given the regime through positive propaganda.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
one could argue, however, that thousands, perhaps millions, more north koreans could die of starvation, be executed, or replace these girls in the labor camps owing to the breathing room clinton might have given the regime through positive propaganda.

I would wonder, those who would propose this argument. Would they support an invasion of North Korea?

Or put another way, what is the alternative? Sanctions? North Korea plays that game better than we do. They'd just kick off their nuclear program again and then we'd go in and make another 'deal'.

Basically, N. Korea is such a big ball of shit that I do see any real alternative for dealing with them in the short term.

At least, no alternative the public will support.

Well, this helps makes my point. Their only commodity is instability.

Mel..

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That's quite an accusation. If there's a fit at all, I think it's a better fit with the Neoconservative element of the Republican party, certainly not Clinton. I haven't seen a shred of positive propaganda on this side, and the NK's have long since lost any starry eyes or gullibility on the Kim front. He's not long for this world, and his son and heir apparent, being young and valuing life, isn't going to be the same desperate fool for notoriety. I'm sure he's realized the world is laughing. . . .

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
"Clinton expressed words of sincere apology to Kim Jong Il for the hostile acts committed by the two American journalists against the DPRK after illegally intruding into it," the news agency reported. "Clinton courteously conveyed to Kim Jong Il an earnest request of the U.S. government to leniently pardon them and send them back home from a humanitarian point of view.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/08/04/nkorea.clinton/index.html

Mr Kim’s “special pardon” was a sign of North Koreas’s “humanitarian and peace-loving policy”, the state’s official news agency said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6738756.ece