The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Upstart Crow Literary

Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    I heard just today that Michael Stearns, Chris Richman, and Danielle Chiotti are leaving Firebrand to start a new agency called Upstart Crow Literary. Apparently, their website will be www.upstartcrowliterary.com, but it's not up and running yet.

NOTE: I have no idea if this is accurate information, but thought I'd pass it along.
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

Teacher by day, YA writer by night Senora Verde's Avatar
    Over a month ago Michael Stearns was listed on the drop down menu and I chose him when I filled out the submission form. I never received a response. I think I'll just wait and try to query this new agency.

That's a bummer since Danielle has my full through Firebrand
    Angelchamomile

*insert catchy phrase here* BarbaraSheridan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smish View Post
    I heard just today that Michael Stearns, Chris Richman, and Danielle Chiotti are leaving Firebrand to start a new agency called Upstart Crow Literary. Apparently, their website will be www.upstartcrowliterary.com, but it's not up and running yet.

NOTE: I have no idea if this is accurate information, but thought I'd pass it along.
    I saw it on the Verla Kay blue boards so I'd say it's legit.
    ~Barbara Sheridan~
    Barb's website
    Falling Through Glass ~ On sale now! Paperback and ebook

Check out the "story behind the story", too.

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly. SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar

Yup.

Angel -- Maybe send Miss Danielle a note as soon as you get a new email address on her. This could well be an opportunity for you. Good Luck.
    This morning the sun came up.
    Just like yesterday, and tomorrow.
    Face the day, not the darkness.

figuring it all out

That's great! I was torn between submitting to Ted Malawer or Michael Sterns. Now, it looks like I can query both! As for those with materials out with one of them, they'll bring that stuff with them, obviously, but I'd expect slower response times for awhile.

Received a very polite and professional e-mail from Danielle explaining that she is indeed going to be with Upstart Crow, and she would like to still consider my novel if I was alright with it being with a new agency. So.....
    1. The rumors are true AND 2. *waves arms, shakes butt*
    She said their website should be up next week.
    Angelchamomile

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.

Upstart Crow Literary

Upstart Crow has a placeholder page up now:

http://www.upstartcrowliterary.com/

Does anyone know for sure which agents are coming over from Firebrand, and what they'll each represent?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    I've copied some posts over from the Firebrand thread that should help.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Thank you.

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    The 3 Upstart Crow agents are now listed at Querytracker along with their genres and email addresses.
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

Michael Stearns is the only one who handles my genre. It looks like they're already getting queries at their new addresses, but Querytracker doesn't say if he'd prefer just a query, or a few sample pages with. Any guesses what his preference might be?

Quote Originally Posted by Clovia View Post
    Michael Stearns is the only one who handles my genre. It looks like they're already getting queries at their new addresses, but Querytracker doesn't say if he'd prefer just a query, or a few sample pages with. Any guesses what his preference might be?
    I'm not sure yet, but on Danielle's Twitter feed last week, she mentioned she wished people would wait to query until their submissions guidelines are posted on their web!

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

Makes sense;o) I had seen a quote where she just says "We're already getting queries!" So I was wondering if my google-fu had failed me, and there was a secret trove of submission info out there. Better to be part of the first-week deluge than an annoying gun-jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovia View Post
    Makes sense;o) I had seen a quote where she just says "We're already getting queries!" So I was wondering if my google-fu had failed me, and there was a secret trove of submission info out there. Better to be part of the first-week deluge than an annoying gun-jumper.
    I agree...I usually wait a bit after the deluge!

Article on the new agency (and a brief mention of why Michael made the move to depart from Firebrand):

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6673903.html?&rid=#CustomerId&source=title

Interesting.

Hey, just a sidenote: if you just click the link at the beginning of this thread it takes you to a coming soon page. But if you click the link from the PW article http://www.upstartcrowliterary.com/home.html it takes you to the website, up and running. I guess the redirect's not working.

This looks like a fab agency. I'd love to work with them.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Beta Project entries and crits are up! Find them here (password:testing).
    Further crits and requests can go through me or directly in the threads.

I am the prince of Winter. My heart is of ice.
    And he's been slowly melting it for years.

Nice tip on the web link!

circus girl without a safety net eveningstar's Avatar
    I'm unreasonably annoyed that none of their agents accept my genre, purely because the little crow on their logo is so adorable.

It was hard to figure out who was the best match for mine. They're so specific about what they do or don't want.

Eveningstar: I know! I love that logo.

I'm a little disappointed, too; on another site Michael Stearns is listed as interested in genre fantasy/sci fi, and now he's not anymore. Teh suck.

Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    Their website is GREAT!

Good luck to anyone subbing to them. I hope you'll post response times and any useful information you find out!

Smish
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

The agent will send you a reply telling you they got the query. The response says it "will be responded to in the next few weeks."

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    The agent will send you a reply telling you they got the query. The response says it "will be responded to in the next few weeks."
    That's what I read on the website. I subbed to Danielle last night and didn't get auto-message. Which leads me to believe they may not be officially "open" yet. My bad...I was going to wait a couple weeks, but couldn't resist on my new book. She seems like a good fit for my career goals. I'll update this thread on response times, etc.

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast