To name, or not to name? (chapters, that is)

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
Hi History Hounds
I'm to-ing and fro-ing about this question... To name, or not to name?

On the one hand, I think chapters had names more often a hundred years ago (my writing era), so having chapter names seems rather in keeping with the tone of the novel. Also, I personally quite like named chapters, especially if they're cleverly thought out.
On the other hand, books published these days don't tend to have titles.
:e2arms:
(That smilie is supposed to illustrate the two hands theme.)

Do you name your chapters? I don't want to bother about it if an agent is just going to say, "ugh, take out the chapter names."

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I started to name my chapters but I found difficulty finding an encapsulating name for every chapter and in some cases any name would give the game away. So I dropped the idea.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Chapter titles are the kind of thing I don't notice if they're not there, (pre-coffee double negative, sorry), but I do rather enjoy the cozy little hints they can provide otherwise. I'm working on adding some into mine as I edit, but I'm not terribly attached to them.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm more inclined to date tag chapters than name them. Puma

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On the one hand, I think chapters had names more often a hundred years ago (my writing era)

Also remember that in the Victorian era, that novels were first serialized and, if it was popular enough, THEN it was bound into one edition as a full novel. It makes sense that each chapter, as published, would have a title.

If authors can title their chapters, it can lend a certain tone to the novel, but I don't think it's required for historicals. I think on my favorite historical reads and none of them were titled. Actually, the only books I can remember having chapter titles was a Fantasy series (the Myth series) where the chapter titles were all mis-quotes (myth-quotes?) of famous sayings or people. Again, it set a good tone for the read and the type of humor in the books.

I don't title chapters 'cause it's a enough of a PITA to have to think of ONE title, let alone 20-50.

Raspberry

Germlish Speaker
Registered
Reaction score
My chapters title themselves or they don't. Thus I have two wips with titles, and one without. Will see what an editor will say... if ever. :)

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I'm like Puma, I'm more inclined to personally date my chapters rather than name them. I did have chapter names on my Victorian novel, but ended up deleting them, as they really did give too many of may surprises away.

Steampunkette, you're writing a Victorian pastiche, right? I think chapter titles would be very appropriate in your case, keeping with the voice you're using.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't title my chapters, but that doesn't really fit in with what I write.'

However, I think in your case, it would be very fitting.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I'm using places and dates for my chapter titles.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I name the chapters on my last WIP, but not this one. Most of the chapters for the current WIP are just numbers, since it takes place almost exclusively in Paris and over only a about two years. So, only two or three chapters need the time/place stamp.

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
I named mine, using quotes from the Tom Stoppard play 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.' The quotes are very appropriate, and Ros and Guil are characters in my story too. (It's an alternate reality 1526 Denmark.) I contacted Sir Tom's publisher to get permission to use the quotes, and they said it's up to my publisher (which I don't have yet!) to do that when the time comes. So the chapter titles may or may not stay.

FWIW, I also contacted Sir Tom himself through his agent to get his permission to use his name and reference his play. He gave me his blessing. (Yes, I know I technically didn't need his permission, but I would sure want to know if someone was referencing my name and book!)

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I don't name chapters, and I also find it annoying when chapters have cryptic names and I get to the end of the chapter and wonder why it was named as such.

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
Thanks for the interesting feedback, everyone :D

like BarbD, RA and many of the others, I quite enjoy a clever little hint at the beginning of the chapter, in the form of a quote. But it must be clever otherwise there's no point.

I really like your idea of changing known quotes so they are recognisable but apply to the story, BarbD. I find that Jasper Fforde and Terry Pratchett do very good jobs of that (neither of which write in my era, however)

But I agree with your point, Cooee: I have to be careful it's not too obscure, or it will just annoy readers.

I can see how date-tags would be a good idea for historical faction, Puma. I can also see it being helpful for my readers, since all the actions happens in a fairly short period (about five weeks of hard sleuthing by my MC). Maybe if quotes don't work I will go for this.

What I guess I will do, is wait until I have the chapters properly structured, and then see if I can fulfil the requirements of:
1. clever
2. descriptive (but not giving the game away!)
3. non-obscure

If it turns out to be a PITA, like you found, DeleyanLee, I guess I'll just give it a miss.
If I manage to do it, we'll see what my brutally honest betas say!! Sadly, my chapters will be too long to post on AW, so iw on't be able to get critters' feedback on whether the titles work

Thanks, everyone, for your comments! Have a cookie :e2cookie:

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
I love titles and quotes for chapters. I also love the "in which" headers that Pratchett used in Going Postal and Making Money.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to make any of the above work in my own writing.

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
I like books that have something more than a chapter number, and so I wanted to do the same for my work. I enjoyed coming up with the chapter titles for MIDWIFE OF THE THE BLUE RIDGE - two or three words that encapsulated the essence of what was happening in the chapter - and I have received several emails from readers saying how much they enjoyed the chapter titles.

On THE TORY WIDOW I began every chapter with epigraphs from Paine's COMMON SENSE, and a place and date reference. I like epigraphs, and it was fun to find the right quotes that related to the chapter content. Again readers have let me know that they enjoyed the epigraphs.

On my WIP (the sequel to TORY) I'm using epigraphs from Paine's CRISIS PAPERS.

Last edited:

HannaRay

Registered
Reaction score
I named my chapters. If your editor doesn't like them she won't be shy about letting you know.

Subcreator

Voyager into Faerie
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoy named chapters. The chapter title provides a clue and it's fun to try to guess what the chapter will be about based on it. If I'm right then I get to feel clever. If I'm wrong (and the title is a good one) then I get an "Oh I see" moment. I think "Oh I see" moments are almost as fun as being right.