AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kensington Publishing Corp. / Citadel / Pinnacle

Anyone have any info on their preferred length, etc? Their guidelines don't give a hint. Having one novel in edit, I thought I'd try my hand at a romance so I'm doing a little research on romance publishers.

And anyone know which imprint is historical? Going through their catalog I don't see any. I

Thanks for any information.
    Last edited by Albannach; 11-24-2009 at 08:42 AM.

smart enough to know better
    I've been looking at their covers on the website. They appear to be a bit steamy.
    Last edited by Donna Pudick; 02-19-2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Typos

Dancing on the edge Brindle Chase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Albannach View Post
    Anyone have any info on their preferred length, etc? Their guidelines don't give a hint. Having one novel in edit, I thought I'd try my hand at a romance so I'm doing a little research on romance publishers.

And anyone know which imprint is historical? Going through their catalog I don't see any. I

Not sure, but I've read several Kensington books. I would guess their finished WC's to be somewhere between 80-100k, with bigger name authors allowed a bit more (120k)

Boldly going nowhere in particular. Jess Haines's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Albannach View Post

Not sure if this will help you, but my first ms with them was accepted at 84K. It's an urban fantasy, though, not romance/historical. Part of the Zebra line.
    Jess Haines
    The Official Antichrist of Pie
    www.jesshaines.com / Twitter / Facebook

"It doesn't get much better for pure urban fantasy than Jess Haines." --All Things Urban Fantasy

Latest Title: Smoke and Mirrors

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Fmate66's Avatar
    I sent an email query to Megan Records on the 6th December and got a request for a partial on the 11th.

Oops! Looked like I killed the conversation lol. I hope someone pops in though to help me with a question. If someone asks for a partial, do they always respond, even if its just with a rejection?

A cat may not look at a king kellion92's Avatar
    Hi Fmate. There is no "always" but usually you will receive an actual follow-up (positive or negative) for a materials request. But keep in mind that the last month that your materials have been out, many publishers have been actually or essentially closed. You may not hear anything for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne K View Post
    I've read about this publisher online and they are legitimate. But it bothers me that they aren't coming up in search here on AW. My book is nonfiction, and it says that they acquired Citadel Press to handle non. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

Thank you for any help. It's most appreciated.
    They asked for my full after reading my partial, eventually they told me to go with my agent and they "looked forward to his proposal." Before this they told me they liked my writing, my candor and the idea of the book.

Still waiting for a response, subbed Dec. 8th.
    Last edited by AryaT92; 01-06-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks for the info Kellian. I realised kinda late in the day that December wasn't a good month to start subbing!

How long is awhile Kellian? They are working now right?

Well for me, a while has been since July. (It's my second set of revisions on the same manuscript.)

Both other times the response has arrived at about the six month point.

Basically you should be prepared for a long wait. (but they're not nearly as long as some others...)
    The First Victim by JB Lynn

"Looking for a suspenseful thriller? Then The First Victim by JB Lynn is the book for you. From the first word to the last word this novel will keep you hooked."

^ Did you sub with an agent?

The first two times, no. This last, yes.

"Looking for a suspenseful thriller? Then The First Victim by JB Lynn is the book for you. From the first word to the last word this novel will keep you hooked."

Did they acknowledge your email and did you talk to them at all before the agent or during the agent or is this the first communication?

I'm just curious for my own sake.

Quote Originally Posted by AryaT92 View Post
    Did they acknowledge your email and did you talk to them at all before the agent or during the agent or is this the first communication?

I'm just curious for my own sake.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're asking.

After your agent emailed them the most recent time did they give him any response at all?

Was your agent's email to them your first contact with them for this MS.. Or have they read partials or anything before from you?

A cat may not look at a king kellion92's Avatar
    I would be so happy if I knew what "awhile" meant! It could be days, weeks or months while editors catch up with reading. December submissions and queries seem to face extra wait time because there is extra slush from Nano and less work time because of the holidays.

Damn..

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin honoluluwriter's Avatar
    Peter Senftleben with Kensington just requested my full and a detailed synopsis. Anyone have any experience with Peter or any new or additional information they are willing to share about Kensington?

Banned
    I had lunch with an editor from Kensington on Nov 3rd, and haven't heard a word. I signed with an agent since then, who followed up, and still no response. Jason has another editor at Kensington who told him that the editor in question loved my ms, and took it to a meeting, and was given a no.

I wanted to be angry about it because he swore I'd hear from him soon. But Jason said "That's just the way some people in this business are"

I accept it for what it was. A thrill, a shot at being published, and a free meal.

So, "A while" can be never.
    Last edited by Wayne K; 01-23-2010 at 04:11 AM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Question

Quote Originally Posted by honoluluwriter View Post
    Peter Senftleben with Kensington just requested my full and a detailed synopsis. Anyone have any experience with Peter or any new or additional information they are willing to share about Kensington?
    I don't have new or additional info but I'm curious, did he request the full from a query or a partial? If the latter, what was the time period before the request for the full?

Thanks!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin honoluluwriter's Avatar
    Chironicus -- he requested the full from a query 2 days after I sent it.

Haven't heard anything back yet.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by honoluluwriter View Post
    Chironicus -- he requested the full from a query 2 days after I sent it.

Haven't heard anything back yet.
    Thanks for the info. Good luck!!! Hope you get a GREAT response!!

Quote Originally Posted by kellion92 View Post
    I would be so happy if I knew what "awhile" meant! It could be days, weeks or months while editors catch up with reading. December submissions and queries seem to face extra wait time because there is extra slush from Nano and less work time because of the holidays.
    So I'd be right in assuming two months is too soon to chase on a request for a partial?

^ Yes, you would be right.

Good luck to you!

ALLOW AT LEAST THREE MONTHS FOR RESPONSE. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE KENSINGTON OFFICES.

IF YOU DO NOT HEAR BACK ON YOUR QUERY, IT MEANS THAT WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN SEEING YOUR MANUSCRIPT.
    Last edited by AryaT92; 02-05-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast